The Student Room Group

should i withdraw from applying to oxford

i applied to oxford, imperial, ucl, bath, and manchester for maths. but because i have to do the MAT that means two of my unis, oxford and imperial, will look heavily on my score, and i'm going to be completely honest i do not think i'm going to do that well to even get an oxford interview. if i swap oxford for warwick, i'll likely get an offer from there anyway and even if i flop the MAT i just have to get all A*s instead which tbh I think i can do it if reaaaalllyyyy but in the effort. any thoughts??? only reason i applied to oxford in the first place was mainly because of pressure from my parents, and even though the uni is really good in general, i dont think i'll enjoy it there as much. i'd rather get all 4/5 offers than flop the MAT and be left with 3 choices.
Reply 1
Original post by hi_hello
i applied to oxford, imperial, ucl, bath, and manchester for maths. but because i have to do the MAT that means two of my unis, oxford and imperial, will look heavily on my score, and i'm going to be completely honest i do not think i'm going to do that well to even get an oxford interview. if i swap oxford for warwick, i'll likely get an offer from there anyway and even if i flop the MAT i just have to get all A*s instead which tbh I think i can do it if reaaaalllyyyy but in the effort. any thoughts??? only reason i applied to oxford in the first place was mainly because of pressure from my parents, and even though the uni is really good in general, i dont think i'll enjoy it there as much. i'd rather get all 4/5 offers than flop the MAT and be left with 3 choices.

If you don't think you would enjoy it there it is not worth applying especially as it was not your choice in the first place

One question... Why is it so important to you to get 4/5 offers?
Original post by ageshallnot
One question... Why is it so important to you to get 4/5 offers?

i want to have more options open to me bc i havent really decided on a specific uni, so i just applied to ones that i liked the look of. what matters to me is i get to study maths in the end tbh
i want to have more options open to me bc i havent really decided on a specific uni, so i just applied to ones that i liked the look of. what matters to me is i get to study maths in the end tbh

Fair enough.

Why not swap Imperial for Warwick? You then still have Oxford or swap out Oxford and Imperial and add soewhere else later e.g. Leeds?
Have you thought of applying to Cambridge instead. Far more likely to get an offer for maths than Oxford.You do have to sit STEP but you have time to study and even if you miss a 1 for Cambridge, a 2 will get you a reduced offer at Warwick and UCL.Studying for STEP is good uni maths prep anyway. You normally need a higher mark in MAT for an Imperial offer than you do for an Oxford interview, so you can swap Imperial for Warwick.if you are not sure about the MAT. Then you have two chances for a reduced offer from Warwick- MAT and STEP.
(edited 1 year ago)
I definitely think Warwick is a great choice for Maths as they give you the chance to get a reduced offer via the MAT or the STEP and if not you can aim for the 3 A*s.

Quick Reply

Latest