Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know there are millions of threads about buying new laptops on here already but I'm not a technological minded lass and don't really understand the technical jargon everyone is using :o:
    Basically I'm getting a new laptop for Christmas/birthday/going to uni. I want to be able to play The Sims 3 on it when it comes out and since Sims 2 completely zapped my current laptop I'm guessing I'm gonna need a pretty good one. Thing is I don't have any idea what kind of specs I need to be looking for on this new laptop. A fab graphics card seems pretty vital but what else does it need to have? And does anyone have any recommendations?
    Sorry to sound so completely clueless but I'm getting bugged about what laptop I want and I haven't a clue where to look. I don't want to end up with one that won't even do what I need it for!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flummox)
    I know there are millions of threads about buying new laptops on here already but I'm not a technological minded lass and don't really understand the technical jargon everyone is using :o:
    Basically I'm getting a new laptop for Christmas/birthday/going to uni. I want to be able to play The Sims 3 on it when it comes out and since Sims 2 completely zapped my current laptop I'm guessing I'm gonna need a pretty good one. Thing is I don't have any idea what kind of specs I need to be looking for on this new laptop. A fab graphics card seems pretty vital but what else does it need to have? And does anyone have any recommendations?
    Sorry to sound so completely clueless but I'm getting bugged about what laptop I want and I haven't a clue where to look. I don't want to end up with one that won't even do what I need it for!
    Thanks
    Get a desktop built for you. Seriously, from what I can see, TS3 is going to be a ***** when it comes to processing power/graphics. You're going to be looking at easily £800-1000 for a laptop that still won't deliver you the eyecandy you'll want. Unless you abolutely have to have the portability of a laptop, a decent custom built desktop will be a much better investment. [EDIT] I always estimate that 80-90% of people that think they'll need the portability of a laptop at uni will never take it out of their room.

ReputationRep:
    My laptop can cope easily enough with the Sims 2 and it cost around £450-500 in May. It's a Dell Inspiron 1525. I wouldn't have thought you'd have a problem playing Sims 3 on any laptop in that sort of price range. Maybe wait until the game requirements are released and then you'll know for sure what you need.

ReputationRep:
    Get a decent Desktop to play it and if you desperately need a laptop then get one of those web books for a couple of hundred pounds or so for the portability factor.

ReputationRep:
    old thread i know... but how trustworthy are game specs. i cant beleive how high the specs are for the SIMS!

* Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
    * 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
    * 1.5 GB RAM
    * At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
    * 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

http://www.infinitesims.com/news/138...announced.html

I have a dell xps m1530, intel core 2 duo . 2.1 ghz and 4gb ram and all other stats beat the requirments, im not a tech head so dont understand things apart from the obvious- being that 2.4 beats 2.1, however does having core 2 duo mean i have more than 2.1 i.e double? will my system be able to play it with too low a processor even if ran on low settings?? cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlie[])
    I have a dell xps m1530, intel core 2 duo . 2.1 ghz and 4gb ram and all other stats beat the requirments, im not a tech head so dont understand things apart from the obvious- being that 2.4 beats 2.1, however does having core 2 duo mean i have more than 2.1 i.e double? will my system be able to play it with too low a processor even if ran on low settings?? cheers
    No, not necessarily. It's not that simple unfortunately.
    The clock speed has little to do with performance when comparing processors from different lines. However, it's a reasonably fair bet that all core 2 duos will easily surpass a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4.
    Also dual core doesn't equal double performance; in most games it equals pretty much exactly the same as single core as very few take advantage of multiple cores.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aKarma)
    No, not necessarily. It's not that simple unfortunately.
    The clock speed has little to do with performance when comparing processors from different lines. However, it's a reasonably fair bet that all core 2 duos will easily surpass a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4.
    Also dual core doesn't equal double performance; in most games it equals pretty much exactly the same as single core as very few take advantage of multiple cores.
    Correct. For example a 2.4 GHz AMD processor will outperform a 2.4 GHz Intel processor. It's called the Megahertz myth. Intel did a clever bit of marketing to make people think that the clock speed of a processor is the main determining factor. Now a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo chip will be faster than a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo chip, but you can't compare it to other processor lines.

And Mad Vlad, it's not just that they don't take it out of their room, it's also the fact they may want to carry it to and from university (ie on a train).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bucky!)
    And Mad Vlad, it's not just that they don't take it out of their room, it's also the fact they may want to carry it to and from university (ie on a train).
    I'd imagine Vlad realises this.

If someone actually needs any kind of actual computing power, desktop is by far the best way to go. Transporting them isn't as hard as you'd think. Bear in mind that a cheap desktop will out perform an expensive laptop. The desktop can then be left in storage at the uni, and just the hard drive brought back to be used in the person's home computer.
    However, it's probably not necessary for casual gaming.

I'm taking my desktop to uni (having travelled with it on the train several times) as well as my laptops, and I doubt I'll find myself regretting it. However, I'm going to have to transfer it out of my full tower case as it weighs in at about 25kg at the moment :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bucky!)
    I don't think I've ever met a person (particularly a girl) that's managed to bring 1 suitcase of stuff to uni and live out of that for a year.

That argument doesn't wash with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlie[])
    old thread i know... but how trustworthy are game specs. i cant beleive how high the specs are for the SIMS!

* Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
    * 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
    * 1.5 GB RAM
    * At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
    * 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

http://www.infinitesims.com/news/138...announced.html

It's not the processor that's the problem, it's the graphics solution. Unless you have a proper, dedicated graphics solution in your laptop, it won't be even remotely playable. It's all well and good EA saying that you only need some 128MB graphics card with Shader Model 2.0 support, but in reality, you'll need a beefy computer to run it.

I again suggest people consider the requirements for The Sims 2, and compare that to the type of computer that could comfortably run single lots. I remember having a 2.8GHz P4 Northwood, 2 GB RAM, and an ATi x800xt and it would STILL run slowly.

The recommended system spec was:
    * 800 MHz processor
    * 256 MB RAM if Windows XP
    * 128 MB RAM if Windows 98, Windows ME, or Windows 2000
    * At least 3.5 gigs of free hard drive space
    * ATI Radeon 9800 Pro or Nvidia Geforce 4

My computer vastly exceeded these requirements.

The Sims 3 is completely different, it's rendering the ENTIRE NEIGHBOURHOOD all at once. That's all the occupants, all the "downtown" stuff, parks, shops and all the houses in the neighbourhood, all at once. Not to mention the HD graphics, and all the other improvements which will take their toll on the hardware requirements.

It is unbelieveably foolish to think that you'll be able to have remotely playable gameplay even on "low" settings if your computer just scrapes the requirements.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; there's going to be literally millions of mightily disappointed people when the game doesn't run on their bog standard family PCs, after release day.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/158887
    This can play a fair few games at low specs, check it out on youtube. It'll most likely do the job unless you want everything on high. It's surprisingly way better than my desktop PC and I managed to play Sims 2 with all it's expansions fine. Sims 3 isn't meant to be much more demanding on your PC compared to Sims 2 they said, all their interviews and stuff they said it so you don't need anything amazing like an £800 laptop which someone suggested, that's a pointless waste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupid Stunt)
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/158887
    This can play a fair few games at low specs, check it out on youtube. It'll most likely do the job unless you want everything on high. It's surprisingly way better than my desktop PC and I managed to play Sims 2 with all it's expansions fine. Sims 3 isn't meant to be much more demanding on your PC compared to Sims 2 they said, all their interviews and stuff they said it so you don't need anything amazing like an £800 laptop which someone suggested, that's a pointless waste.
    We'll see...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    I don't think I've ever met a person (particularly a girl) that's managed to bring 1 suitcase of stuff to uni and live out of that for a year.

That argument doesn't wash with me.
    Some people's homes are a long way from uni?

I plan to take a carload of stuff to uni in Sept, and then live out of a suitcase when I go home via train/plane during the Christmas and Easter holidays (leaving a lot of stuff up there), then bringing it all back via car at the end of the year.

ReputationRep:
    right fair play, cheers for all the tech info guys. i was browsing the internet and found a website which you select a game and then it rates your computer compared to the game you selected's specs, forgotten what it is called but my dell xps passed on all account however as you mad vlad sims 2 was really slow on my really high spec home computer so i dread to think what the sims 3 will do to my lappie, might just play command and conquer generals after exam .

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.