The Student Room Group

Any book recommendations for Russia post-1991?

Hey

I really want to find out more about Russian politics but all the local books in the library are just about the 1917 revolution or about Khrushchev, but I literally study it at college and I’m more interesting in the long-term consequences of that, eg books about the 1990s in Russia and books which explain Putins rule today.
If you know any, please post them below, thanks
Hi!

Modern Russian history is something I'm interested in as well, especially given my Czechoslovak background.

Svetlana Alexievich's "Secondhand Time" goes into a lot of detail about post-communist life in Russia, and I'd say that it's probably my favourite book of this style overall.

If Yeltsin's era particularly interests you, then Irina Lobacheva's "Russia in 1990s" is worth reading as well. It mostly just covers the 1993 Yeltsin coup, but it covers it in some of the greatest detail I've ever seen.

- Lucy
(edited 1 year ago)
The Penguin History of Modern Russia by Robert Service. I used it for my study on Bolshevism but it also covers the 21st century,
Original post by Lalleighette
Hi!

Modern Russian history is something I'm interested in as well, especially given my Czechoslovak background.

Svetlana Alexievich's "Secondhand Time" goes into a lot of detail about post-communist life in Russia, and I'd say that it's probably my favourite book of this style overall.

If Yeltsin's era particularly interests you, then Irina Lobacheva's "Russia in 1990s" is worth reading as well. It mostly just covers the 1993 Yeltsin coup, but it covers it in some of the greatest detail I've ever seen.

- Lucy

Hi Lucy,
that’s brilliant, thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by Ferrograd
The Penguin History of Modern Russia by Robert Service. I used it for my study on Bolshevism but it also covers the 21st century,

Ahhh nice, thank you!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest