The Student Room Group

Do contextual offers help even after i get my alevel grades?

So lets say i got a*a*a and i am eligible for a contextual, does this help me because u got more than the contextual offer?
Original post by Hypeboss109
So lets say i got a*a*a and i am eligible for a contextual, does this help me because u got more than the contextual offer?

It seems reasonable to assume that someone with results which exceed the entry requirements which apply to them will be in a better position than someone who meets (but does not exceed) the entry requirements which apply to them. Whether they were both subject to the same entry requirements, or whether the first person had lower requirements (because they meet the contextual conditions) should logically be irrelevant.

Put another way, students who meet the requirements for a contextual offer do so because some aspect of their education had been "compromised" by circumstances beyond their control. For such a student to achieve A*A*A despite those circumstances would be seen as very impressive, I would imagine.
Original post by Hypeboss109

It depends on the uni. For example, I know that Southampton medical school pools wp and non wp students separately. So wp applicants get a separate easier ucat cutoff, and their interview performance is only ranked against other wp applicants
Hi,
With the Russell groups just make sure that they will do it as I was told that I was as I have asd, depression and anxiety which are all medically diagnosed but then my entry grades weren't lowered
Reply 4
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Hi,
With the Russell groups just make sure that they will do it as I was told that I was as I have asd, depression and anxiety which are all medically diagnosed but then my entry grades weren't lowered

Are contextual and mitigating circumstances treated the same way? I think the former have a fairly rigid criteria to fulfill and rules to follow whereas the latter is left up to the admissions teams discretion, hence your problem maybe.
Original post by Euapp
Are contextual and mitigating circumstances treated the same way? I think the former have a fairly rigid criteria to fulfill and rules to follow whereas the latter is left up to the admissions teams discretion, hence your problem maybe.

What we were told at school is that mitigating circumstances increase the chances of you getting an offer however don't reduce the entry requirements however there is a list of things that cause contextual (normally if you have to mitigating you they are also applicable but one doesn't mean the other if that makes sense) but on the contextual it says registered disability and I showed them how it was registered and they said that would be fine as I have been allowed DSA but they didn't lower it but no one knows why (I didn't need the lowered grades in the end as I exceeded them so maybe if I phoned up on the day it might have been different)
Reply 6
What we were told at school is that mitigating circumstances increase the chances of you getting an offer however don't reduce the entry requirements however there is a list of things that cause contextual (normally if you have to mitigating you they are also applicable but one doesn't mean the other if that makes sense) but on the contextual it says registered disability and I showed them how it was registered and they said that would be fine as I have been allowed DSA but they didn't lower it but no one knows why (I didn't need the lowered grades in the end as I exceeded them so maybe if I phoned up on the day it might have been different)

Exactly! Having a registered disability gives you mitigating circumstances but not contextual. Hence no reduced grades for offers as standard but discretion given to the admissions team to adapt or admit a near miss on results day.
Original post by Euapp
Exactly! Having a registered disability gives you mitigating circumstances but not contextual. Hence no reduced grades for offers as standard but discretion given to the admissions team to adapt or admit a near miss on results day.

That makes sense for some but the ones I applied to had a list that said what gave you a contextual offer and it said a registered disability and other people who had a registered disability got a lower offer
Reply 8
That makes sense for some but the ones I applied to had a list that said what gave you a contextual offer and it said a registered disability and other people who had a registered disability got a lower offer

Have you contacted them to ask why?
Mitigating Circumstances are NOT the same as Contextual Offers.

Mitigating Circumstances pr Extenuating Cirmcumstances (bereavement, serious illness etc) explain weaker GCSE grades or potentially weaker A leve etc grades. Therefore they are very indivudual to that applicant and they do not get a lower grade offer, just' more consideration' - ie. GCSE grades excused or applicant still accepted in August even if they miss the offer. Etc, One example - https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/after-you-apply/your-application/extenuating-circumstances/

Contextual Offers are part of a Uni's committment to widening-particiaption - lower grade offers made to those from specific low acheiving schools and/or with specific home postcodes and/or 'in care', refugees etc, and/or those particating in schemes to encourage Uni application. The criteria used is specific to that Uni. One example - https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/entry-requirements-qualifications/contextual-offers/
Reply 10
Original post by McGinger
Mitigating Circumstances are NOT the same as Contextual Offers.

Mitigating Circumstances pr Extenuating Cirmcumstances (bereavement, serious illness etc) explain weaker GCSE grades or potentially weaker A leve etc grades. Therefore they are very indivudual to that applicant and they do not get a lower grade offer, just' more consideration' - ie. GCSE grades excused or applicant still accepted in August even if they miss the offer. Etc, One example - https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/after-you-apply/your-application/extenuating-circumstances/

Contextual Offers are part of a Uni's committment to widening-particiaption - lower grade offers made to those from specific low acheiving schools and/or with specific home postcodes and/or 'in care', refugees etc, and/or those particating in schemes to encourage Uni application. The criteria used is specific to that Uni. One example - https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/entry-requirements-qualifications/contextual-offers/

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending