The Student Room Group

Is volunteering worth it?

As above
Is it worth it?
Yes. It gives you something to do, gets you out of the house and meeting people and it looks good on a CV. I have been offered jobs because of my voluntary experience.
Original post by j.xxxxxj
As above
Is it worth it?

If its course related then it could be mentioned on your personal statement. It's also a nice addition to your CV when you apply for jobs too - This of course depends on what you do. Just make sure it doesn't interfere with your studies too much.
As above
Is it worth it?

Allah likes those who volunteer for good causes
As above
Is it worth it?

Go take a look at some job adverts and consider how many of them ask for experience. I mean, if you can get that experience doing paid work rather than volunteering, go for it! I suspect you'll find that "no experience required" jobs are a lot harder to land (or even to get interviewed for) than you might think.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Yes. It gives you something to do, gets you out of the house and meeting people and it looks good on a CV. I have been offered jobs because of my voluntary experience.

Agreed! I found it useful to get some really needed experience and skills working with people and customers which really helped get me shortlisted for some jobs.
Original post by nathan2472
Agreed! I found it useful to get some really needed experience and skills working with people and customers which really helped get me shortlisted for some jobs.

I hope the job search is going good bro.
As above
Is it worth it?

Yes its worth it.
As well as getting you out the house- you get to meet new people, gain new skills (e.g. working as a team, communication, punctuality etc etc), gain experience (e.g. working in a shop, handling money, working with animals etc- depending on where you volunteer) which looks good for future jobs. You will also gain a reference for when applying for future jobs. It looks good on your cv.
It depends on your ambitions and mindset.
Often provides the opportunity to learn new skills, get into a regular routine, meet new people, have positibe involvement with a cause that you feel passionate about and accumulate helpful contacts or references.
Volunteering is worth it for me.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I hope the job search is going good bro.

Thanks! I've not been so successful so far but def volunteering has helped get further than I used to lol
Original post by nathan2472
Thanks! I've not been so successful so far but def volunteering has helped get further than I used to lol

Sounds good bro
Definitely looks good on cv but also gives you valuable skills and helps develop confidence. Can also give you a good opportunity to meet new people and make new friends :smile: Good luck with it
As above
Is it worth it?

As someone who has previous experience in volunteering, it is a good way to gain experience, learn new skills, and build your confidence when you apply for a paid job.
Reply 13
As above
Is it worth it?

I mean, even if it doesn't directly benefit you, it's a nice thing to do if you have the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending