The Student Room Group

Uni Life in Manchester, Nottingham or Keele

Hey! I'm a year 13 student looking to do Psychology and Neuroscience and I'm looking at Unis like Manchester, Nottingham or Keele; I'm just looking for any sort of info about people's experiences at these Unis and how social life is/was like. I do want to prioritise social life and student satisfaction rates when it comes to picking out a Uni so please let me know, thanks! :smile:)
Reply 1
Wow, this was really helpful- its definitely eased my nerves a bit haha! I'll look into Manchester Uni a bit more then, thank you so much!
@04MR17 went to Keele for undergrad I believe, and @mnot I think was at Nottingham, so may be able to advise on aspects of student life in each area respectively?

Of those Manchester is the biggest city so likely to have the most "metropolitan" experience. Nottingham is a bit smaller but it's not too far from other cities in the midlands for day trips elsewhere. I think Keele is a bit more remote but don't really know much about it honestly!
Original post by rektbitx
Hey! I'm a year 13 student looking to do Psychology and Neuroscience and I'm looking at Unis like Manchester, Nottingham or Keele; I'm just looking for any sort of info about people's experiences at these Unis and how social life is/was like. I do want to prioritise social life and student satisfaction rates when it comes to picking out a Uni so please let me know, thanks! :smile:)

Keele - fantastic three years there, fantastic community, very good student support services (including Mental Health).
Keele's Student Union are leagues better than another large city university that I went to. Network of societies is very healthy.

It is the largest campus university in Europe - which means green everywhere, no train station, no bustling city that you will get in Manchester and Nottingham. My advice is to visit the open days of all 3, see which one feels better in your gut.

Everyone has a different experience.

But personally loved the student life their. The city is nice size . Not too big (i.e. easy to navigate and accessible to commute on foot across the centre), yet has lots of options for young adults at a reasonable price (bars/clubs/restaurants).

The university is located just outside the city and is a really beautiful park (Nottinghamshire also has lots of really great walks & the peaks are 30 minutes away). Most students live in pretty typical student housing in lenton which sits in the middle of the city centre and the university (although their are more options).

The SU itself is very large (nearly 40,000 students.. and frankly far more accessible facilities then most unis although lots of students really take it for granted). Sports is massive here, we are really second to Loughborough in performance & facilities, this has a huge presence (sports at every level from Olympians/international athletes to lots of sports just played for inclusive and fun). Sports was one of the best parts for me.

Academically the university is a research led institution, meaning their are lots of world leading professors and both public & private funding, the side note to this is a professors who lectures you will probably be at the forefront of their field but simultaneously have less spare time to give out (they have to split their time many more ways then just someone who teaches).

Exit prospects, it’s not as strong generally as Oxbridge/Imperial but it is in that strong but large pack behind. We get a lot of big employers on site & their is a lot of research opportunities for students. Id say comparable level to Manchester.
On student satisfaction im of the opinion university is what you make of it, Nottingham has all you need but it will be down to you to make friends build a social circle join societies go out and do whatever activities you enjoy.

Hey,

I am a current 4th year at the uni of Nottingham.

I was really surprised by the amount to do here as I had never visited before coming to uni. The city has everything you could need for a student. Good restaurants, cafes and bars, lots of live music, quiz nights, bowling, mini golf, cheap cinemas and different student club nights in different venues across the week.
The city is around a 45 min walk from campus but there is a tram stop right by uni that takes you straight into thr city and there are also busses that run onto campus late into the night which is handy for nights out. People tend to move out in second year and move around a 20 min walk away from campus, making the city only a 20 min walk away.
There are also so many sports clubs and societies to join that all have social events on so whatever you are interested in you will more than likely find something you enjoy.

I hope this helps but if you have any questions about the uni or course (I took a lot of psychology and neuroscience modules) then just let me know,
Emily :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest