The Student Room Group

What should I do for English GCSEs?

I am in Year 10 and I have been very worried about my English GCSEs. I am a hard-working student who consistently gets the top marks across all my subjects. However, I am worried about English because I am less motivated to revise for it at home and I really don't understand how to improve at it. I do know I need to practise and have constantly heard about doing essays/ creative writing and handing it to my teacher to mark and in the first week of school in September I did hand my teacher a couple of descriptive pieces I did in the summer but she seems to be extremely busy and I have asked her many times but she still hasn't marked it and it's been more than a month now.
Also we're currently studying Jekyll and Hyde. We finished the book today and we read all of it in class but a lot of it didn't make sense to me, like I don't understand how people can follow the book when there's so many words on every page that are so complicated to know the meaning of. I also am absolutely baffled at the technique top English students (for Literature in this case) use to study a text and be prepared for any essay they get and remember so many quotes, analysis, relevant context and how to structure essays.
I was wondering if I should get Discord and maybe use The Student room to post essays/ creattive writing or generally my responses to questions for people to mark or give me feedback on so I was wondering if that could work, any ideas for that?
To sum this up, I really need tips from anyone who did well at English or is currently on track to get a top grade at Language and/or Literature. How exactly do you revise and what exact steps and tips did you use and think are helpful?
@biblio
@BibliophileLibra there’s a really good post from a student who got all 9’s at GCSE 2022 and she had good English tips I’ll try and link you now
Original post by kscgemini
@BibliophileLibra there’s a really good post from a student who got all 9’s at GCSE 2022 and she had good English tips I’ll try and link you now

Haha, hi, just found this post actually 😂💜
Original post by bluebirdbubble
Haha, hi, just found this post actually 😂💜

Definitely read through the whole lot, grab a cuppa, some very helpful information. I have a daughter in Year 10 (as well as year 13) so I’m passing this information on to my year 10 girl!
Original post by kscgemini
Definitely read through the whole lot, grab a cuppa, some very helpful information. I have a daughter in Year 10 (as well as year 13) so I’m passing this information on to my year 10 girl!

Awww, thank you so much. When I made the thread, I hoped that it would help someone and the fact that you're helping your daughter is absolutely amazing! Xx
Original post by BibliophileLibra
I am in Year 10 and I have been very worried about my English GCSEs. I am a hard-working student who consistently gets the top marks across all my subjects. However, I am worried about English because I am less motivated to revise for it at home and I really don't understand how to improve at it. I do know I need to practise and have constantly heard about doing essays/ creative writing and handing it to my teacher to mark and in the first week of school in September I did hand my teacher a couple of descriptive pieces I did in the summer but she seems to be extremely busy and I have asked her many times but she still hasn't marked it and it's been more than a month now.
Also we're currently studying Jekyll and Hyde. We finished the book today and we read all of it in class but a lot of it didn't make sense to me, like I don't understand how people can follow the book when there's so many words on every page that are so complicated to know the meaning of. I also am absolutely baffled at the technique top English students (for Literature in this case) use to study a text and be prepared for any essay they get and remember so many quotes, analysis, relevant context and how to structure essays.
I was wondering if I should get Discord and maybe use The Student room to post essays/ creattive writing or generally my responses to questions for people to mark or give me feedback on so I was wondering if that could work, any ideas for that?
To sum this up, I really need tips from anyone who did well at English or is currently on track to get a top grade at Language and/or Literature. How exactly do you revise and what exact steps and tips did you use and think are helpful?

Hi, just did my GCSEs and got 9s in Lang and Lit so hope this helps 💜. Thanks @kscgemini for the mention! Lit can definitely be hard to revise for, and you're not the only person I know who's really found it hard to find what to write in essays and how to structure them. But on that note:

General structure I used - an introduction paragraph, three main points about the character or theme per essay, each point had two quotes and each quote went into a paragraph, if that makes any sense. There would also be a conclusion to show the lessons learned by the contemporary (the audience the writer was actually writing for) and wider audience.So if the question was on the theme of redemption in A Christmas Carol, there would be three points (something about Scrooge, Marley and maybe the Ghosts), and each point had two quotes about it.
Analysis - for each quote, I would try to find three things to analyse. One would normally be a single word analysis, and the other two could be whatever stood out to me, structurally or language techniques. It's also nice to link your analysis to social and historical context, to show the fact that you understand that the writer is crafting what they are saying to the audience they are writing to. If you cant think of many great analysis points, Spark Notes and Stacey Reay are absolutely great.
Revision - make a flashcard for each theme and each character. Put your three points and 6 quotes on each flashcard, and memorise these until you're blue in the face haha. On the day, your themes or characters will link to the question in one way or another, and you'll know what you're going to say. Keep an eye on the clock and you should be good to go Xx
If you want, pop some essays on TSR/this thread or my thread, and I can try to give them a read (it might not be straightaway, but I'll definitely try to get through them). Hope this helps Xx, absolutely rooting for you to smash Lit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest