The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
metalmonkey
I remember that FRIENDS episode where someone, I think it was Russ's mom pointing out to someone that he was a Dr, only for one of the flatmates to turn around and state "he's not a REAL Dr though"

This is exactly how I would feel about using it, waiting for someone to point out that I wasn't a 'proper' Dr!

But in fact you (and the Friends writers) have got that the wrong way round. A 'real' doctor is someone who has a PhD - a Doctor of Philosophy. A medical doctor doesn't usually have a PhD, and is referred to as a doctor in error, really. If we get pedantic about it, the only real doctors are PhD holders.
Reply 21
oriel historian
No but my point was that people have the right to choose. It's a professional qualification which endows a title; if you use it, it's your prerogative to do so. :smile:

That wasn't in response to your post, actually, but to the one by Norfolkadam, which seemed to imply that medics have more of a right to the title, which doesn't really make sense to me, to be honest.:dontknow: Someone who has done a PhD is a "proper" doctor, but obviously it would be silly of him to insist on being called "Dr" everywhere. That's not why you do a PhD, after all.
Reply 22
the_alba
But in fact you (and the Friends writers) have got that the wrong way round. A 'real' doctor is someone who has a PhD - a Doctor of Philosophy. A medical doctor doesn't usually have a PhD, and is referred to as a doctor in error, really. If we get pedantic about it, the only real doctors are PhD holders.

Only in the UK, though, right? I'm pretty sure German "doctors" have to have done actual PhDs at some point.
hobnob
That wasn't in response to your post, actually, but to the one by Norfolkadam, which seemed to imply that medics have more of a right to the title, which doesn't really make sense to me, to be honest.:dontknow: Someone who has done a PhD is a "proper" doctor, but obviously it would be silly of him to insist on being called "Dr" everywhere. That's not why you do a PhD, after all.

Apologies :o:, I shall put my glasses on.
AllergicToFairydust
Oh yeah an M is really going to make a difference. :rolleyes: As far as I am aware there is only 1 person in the UK with your name and 312 with mine.

Oh dear. I shall have to hide behind a tree. And yeah, the M makes a bit of a difference. :yep:
Reply 25
There's a few teachers at my school who have doctorates and on staff lists etc it says Dr but everyone still calls them sir or miss etc. However, I have come across one who absolutely insists on being addressed as 'doctor' at all times and will answer to nothing else, and another who preferred it to be used but not quite to the same extent as the first.
oriel historian
And yeah, the M makes a bit of a difference. :yep:

I think the only person who would agree with you be my nan.

I could marrying someone with an less common surname to me, before I become known, that would help me considerably more right now than a PhD :p:. After all - Ralph Vaughan Williams is more known as Vaughan Williams and Peter Maxwell Davies is more known as Maxwell Davies. Last thing I need is, if I become sucessful, to go by my middle name and surname. I'd rather change my name entirely right now.
For medical degrees some countries (like the US) give out an MD or equivalent to those who have done medical training and hence they are, indeed, proper doctors. In the UK qualified medics are given honourary use of the 'Dr' title and the MD is retained as a postgraduate research qualification for those in medical practice of some kind.

As far as I am aware the PhD is, throughout the world, reserved for pure research theses and thus a wouldn't be used as a primary medical qualfication. However, it is perfectly possible for a medical doctor in the UK to subsequently do a PhD.

As for the original question: I have Dr on my bank cards and business cards, etc., but if I've corresponded with a person more than once I usually just use first names.
Reply 28
AllergicToFairydust
I think the only person who would agree with you be my nan.

I could marrying someone with an less common surname to me, before I become known, that would help me considerably more right now than a PhD :p:. After all - Ralph Vaughan Williams is more known as Vaughan Williams and Peter Maxwell Davies is more known as Maxwell Davies. Last thing I need is, if I become sucessful, do go by my middle name and surname. I'd rather change my name entirely right now.

Or just change your first name to something eccentric like Tibbles. There can't be that many people out there who are called Dr. Tibbles Jones.:p:
I insist on being referred to as Doctor even though I don't have a master's degree yet. It's a loveable quirk and wins me many friends. We twitch and shy from natural light together.
^^ W00t, chance pentameter.
hobnob
Or just change your first name to something eccentric like Tibbles. There can't be that many people out there who are called Dr. Tibbles Jones.:p:

Well I don't know. See despite having a common first name, my mother named me after a tart and my nan respectivally. My middle name would stay full stop out of respect to my nan and I doubt I could get use to anyone called me anything but my first name. On the other hand, my surname is as common as muck and I would gladly exchange it, either by marriage or deed poll.
Reply 32
Da Bachtopus
^^ W00t, chance pentameter.

Are you sure it's a proper pentameter?
I don't think its pretentious or anything when people use it all the time. After all, you've earnt it for a reason.
Reply 34
tropical-twist3
I don't think its pretentious or anything when people use it all the time. After all, you've earnt it for a reason.

It's an academic title which is entirely meaningless outside an academic context, though, so why use it?:dontknow:
Reply 35
I know of two teachers at my school with doctorates. One uses Dr, the other uses Mr.
hobnob
It's an academic title which is entirely meaningless outside an academic context, though, so why use it?:dontknow:

but then whats the point of Sir? it just shows you've been recognised for something you've done, like Dr.
Reply 37
ChemistBoy
For medical degrees some countries (like the US) give out an MD or equivalent to those who have done medical training and hence they are, indeed, proper doctors. In the UK qualified medics are given honourary use of the 'Dr' title and the MD is retained as a postgraduate research qualification for those in medical practice of some kind.

As far as I am aware the PhD is, throughout the world, reserved for pure research theses and thus a wouldn't be used as a primary medical qualfication. However, it is perfectly possible for a medical doctor in the UK to subsequently do a PhD.

As for the original question: I have Dr on my bank cards and business cards, etc., but if I've corresponded with a person more than once I usually just use first names.

A US MD is not the same as a UK MD. A US MD is their basic medical degree and not a research doctorate so is only equivalent to a UK primary medical degree (and is treated as such worldwide). A UK MD is a research doctorate like a PhD... they are actually traditionally considered higher than PhDs in the medical world as they tended to be more clinical and relevant to practice although that distinction is blurring quickly.
Touche
A US MD is not the same as a UK MD. A US MD is their basic medical degree and not a research doctorate so is only equivalent to a UK primary medical degree (and is treated as such worldwide). A UK MD is a research doctorate like a PhD... they are actually traditionally considered higher than PhDs in the medical world as they tended to be more clinical and relevant to practice although that distinction is blurring quickly.

That was entirely my point when I said;

"In the UK qualified medics are given honourary use of the 'Dr' title and the MD is retained as a postgraduate research qualification for those in medical practice of some kind."

I am well aware of all of this, it would help if you would read more than the first line of posts before responding to them. I have a lot of friends in the medical profession, amongst them a consultant paediatrician who is currently doing his MD and the director of medical education at the local medical school (two seperate people). I have had discussions about the title 'doctor' countless times and know all about the MD in the UK.
Reply 39

And my dad's bigger than yours.

Latest

Trending

Trending