Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you use your Dr title watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Touche)
    Am a surgeon but I use my first name with patients/nurses/other doctors. Dr only gets used when someone's being obstructive (usually some kinda manager/receptionist).

Overusing Dr is a little pretentious IMO... Have gone back to Mr officially now anyway :P
    you're a surgeon omg wow - what type of surgeon are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AllergicToFairydust)
    I'd rather change my name entirely right now.

Nooo! You would become Doctor Jones! The Aqua song! 'Doctor Jones, Jones, calling Doctor Jones. Doctor Jones, Doctor Jones wake up now' ..the tune could be your doorbell, ring tone, car horn, the possibilities are endless, and all these things would make you the definitive Doctor Jones.

THE Doctor Jones. Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m.maow)
    Nooo! You would become Doctor Jones! The Aqua song! 'Doctor Jones, Jones, calling Doctor Jones. Doctor Jones, Doctor Jones wake up now' ..the tune could be your doorbell, ring tone, car horn, the possibilities are endless, and all these things would make you the definitive Doctor Jones.

THE Doctor Jones. Yeah.
    Whoever said that my surname is Jones :p: Not all Welsh people have the same surname you know.

ReputationRep:
    I will be using mine :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YAP)
    An interesting and important point about the title Mr (or Miss, Mrs etc.) is that they are titles only for use by people who have no other title. Hence, a Doctor of Philosophy cannot correctly use Mr etc. - they aren't entitled to it. Rather, they have two choices:

i) Address themselves as Dr <whomever>
    ii) Address themselves as <whomever>

Titles are optional, after all; and if one wishes to use one, and one has been accorded a title, that is the one one shall use.

So, in my case, I put the title Dr if someone asks for one, but am generally known by my first name - I don't expect people to grovel after me calling me Dr YAP, nor would I previously have expected them to address me as Mr YAP, I'm not that formal a person.
    I don't think there are any rules stating that you must refer to yourself as any particular title in the UK. Doctor is not a regulated title here unlike in Germany so you are free to call yourself whatever you please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AllergicToFairydust)
    Whoever said that my surname is Jones :p: Not all Welsh people have the same surname you know.
    Oops. I could've sworn someone said it was on the 1st/2nd page! Apologies

ReputationRep:
    I would prefer to be called a doctor of letters though. see my other thread, its more prestigious, you need 7 more years of training

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrunNewYork)
    I would prefer to be called a doctor of letters though. see my other thread, its more prestigious, you need 7 more years of training
    The problem with the DLitt is that you pretty much have to be academic to get a proper one and in academia you are solely judged on your research output and thus a higher doctorate is really of little actual value. Hence why very few people bother to do them. And, no offence, but you don't sound suited to the academic life.

ReputationRep:
    But you don't go on a course to get it. Few people get them. Be satisfied that a PhD is a phenomenal amount of work and put the ruler away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oriel historian)
    But you don't go on a course to get it. Few people get them. Be satisfied that a PhD is a phenomenal amount of work and put the ruler away.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    you're a surgeon omg wow - what type of surgeon are you?
    Orthopaedic. I'm not a consultant unsurprisingly.

ReputationRep:
    I think i will pencil in a PhD in five years time into my diary
    I dont quite mind being recognised for my achievement but i will have to insist on people calling me Dr afterall im more qualified than them so they should respect it
    I hope for the sanity of the rest of us that you don't get a phd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foundintransmission)
    I don't know, I want to do a PhD after I've done my degree, whether i'll use the title or not, I don't know. Everyone I've spoke to about it though have all said : ooh! You'll be a 'Dr' then!. Soo.. yep :p: it's only a title at the end of the day though.

:rofl:

I thought you were like a final year graduate student.
    I checked your sig and your still applying for Undergraduate studies :p:
    You've got a long way to go
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TI-84)

But so do you, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TI-84)

Lols I know, but it's nice to have a target - everyone can dream after all :p: I think it might only be a year though, and you can't do a masters in orthoptics [i dont think] so it would be pretty cool, plus PhD's are about research..right? And I would like to go into research so I suppose it would be very helpful. Mind you, I can't exactly ask anyone about it seeing as there are no orthoptists on here, so forgive me if I'm talking rubbish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    But so do you, right?
    Of course I do, hence I'm not commenting on the fact that I want to do a PHd because it's just too early for me to decide whether I want to do any more education after a masters :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foundintransmission)
    Lols I know, but it's nice to have a target - everyone can dream after all :p: I think it might only be a year though, and you can't do a masters in orthoptics [i dont think] so it would be pretty cool, plus PhD's are about research..right? And I would like to go into research so I suppose it would be very helpful. Mind you, I can't exactly ask anyone about it seeing as there are no orthoptists on here, so forgive me if I'm talking rubbish
    fair enough I suppose it's probably better if you have a target set for yourself, I'm just going to finish my masters and see where it takes me :woo:

ReputationRep:
    There's a science teacher at my school who is called Dr. Winston

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TI-84)
    fair enough I suppose it's probably better if you have a target set for yourself, I'm just going to finish my masters and see where it takes me :woo:
    great. At least I made you laugh though :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    The problem with the DLitt is that you pretty much have to be academic to get a proper one and in academia you are solely judged on your research output and thus a higher doctorate is really of little actual value. Hence why very few people bother to do them. And, no offence, but you don't sound suited to the academic life.
    Anything less than a Dlitt is failure for me, thats the minimum i want to settle for, i go to St Pauls, im exactly the sort for academia so stop making assumptions

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.