Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by IrunNewYork)
    Anything less than a Dlitt is failure for me, thats the minimum i want to settle for, i go to St Pauls, im exactly the sort for academia so stop making assumptions
    Good luck with that, then.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Anything less than a Dlitt is failure for me, thats the minimum i want to settle for, i go to St Pauls, im exactly the sort for academia so stop making assumptions
    I went to SPGS. Don't try and claim you're especially entitled because of where you go to school. It's not a rubber stamp to be rude and childish towards people with infinitely more experience than you.

Anyway, if that's the minimum, what else do you want?

ReputationRep:
    Yeesh, so what about those of us who erm worked up from the bottom and are the first person in our entire family to get a PhD? Are we failures because we don't have DLitts? Or are you talking rubbish to score points?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    I went to SPGS. Don't try and claim you're especially entitled because of where you go to school. It's not a rubber stamp to be rude and childish towards people with infinitely more experience than you.

Anyway, if that's the minimum, what else do you want?
    Lol, I read that as Spag Bol. So you are uber posh then Ilex?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by oriel historian)
    Lol, I read that as Spag Bol. So you are uber posh then Ilex?
    I wish!

ReputationRep:
    I wish!
    Ahh, so a PhD is enuogh for you then?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ahh, so a PhD is enuogh for you then?
    Don't be silly, a PhD isn't good enough! I want two PhDs and a DSc for good measure.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silly, a PhD isn't good enough! I want two PhDs and a DSc for good measure.
    Sorry, I'm common so one PhD is enough for me. Although, I have thought about asking in the viva 'please sir, can I have some more' showing them me flat cap and holey trousers. Being working class, what else have I ever known, not like this great uber-prof IrunNewYork, MA, DPhil, PhD, DLitt, DCL, DD, DSc, DMus, DEng. :rolleyes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Sorry, I'm common so one PhD is enough for me. Although, I have thought about asking in the viva 'please sir, can I have some more' showing them me flat cap and holey trousers. Being working class, what else have I ever known, not like this great uber-prof IrunNewYork, MA, DPhil, PhD, DLitt, DCL, DD, DSc, DMus, DEng. :rolleyes:
    You left off 'SPS, OBE' :p:

I have holes in my trousers, although I don't own a flat cap.

ReputationRep:
    You left off 'SPS, OBE' :p:

I have holes in my trousers, although I don't own a flat cap.
    Come on, he's that clever he's bound to have a KBE already. I mean, it just follows: he went to St Paul's after all...

ReputationRep:
    St Pauls produce the most prepared and focused students for academia, therefore i am bound to excel at a top uni

Inverse snobbery is not the solution

ReputationRep:
    St Pauls produce the most prepared and focused students for academia, therefore i am bound to excel at a top uni

Is this guy for real?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I went to SPGS.
    Spelling 'n' Grammar School?:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Spelling 'n' Grammar School?:p:
    Pwnage. :rofl:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    And a pony!

ReputationRep:

If you're the type of person that needs to be 'produced' by your school in order to excel in academia, I doubt you'll make it further than a Bachelor's degree. A PhD requires originality and deep thought, which are the kind of qualities that can't be institutionally 'produced'. Most academics tend to be state school educated, partly because they learned these things early on to make up for certain flaws in their formal education.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hobnob)
    And a pony!
    I want a hip-hop horse!

I find this quite bizarre. All the Paulines I knew were a really nice, unassuming bunch who seemed to stumble upon greatness rather accidentally. Clearly the intake has changed somewhat...

ReputationRep:
    all these qualities are nutured outside of the state system, for instance we have moved to ib recently to develop it and Pre-u

A teacher told me st pauls is highly represented in top jobs and ACADEMIA

ReputationRep:

Rubbish. I went to a comprehensive in one of the poorest areas in Western Europe, by your score I shouldn't have even gotten an interview at Oxford and even less should I have done really rather well. Inverse snobbery is not the solution, but in some cases it's rather fun.

ReputationRep:
    all these qualities are nutured outside of the state system, for instance we have moved to ib recently to develop it and Pre-u

A teacher told me st pauls is highly represented in top jobs and ACADEMIA
    No one in ACADEMIA gives a toss where anyone else in ACADEMIA went to school. School means nothing once you've got your first degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.