The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
HappinessHappening
Do you sometimes wonder whether you ought to just pack your bags and go?

I was watching a documentary about a tribal community living in the Amazon rainforest the other week and I couldn't help but think: 'they haven't got plasma TVs or cars or central heating, but God they look happy. They don't look remotely alienated from one another.'
In an environment like that, I can imagine the possibility of developing real, genuine human relationships and living life fully in the proper sense of the term.

Indeed.
Sometimes I think how we could learn so much from them and they could learn absolutely nothing from us.
Reply 41
mermania
Indeed.
Sometimes I think how we could learn so much from them and they could learn absolutely nothing from us.

Apart from an advanced understanding of how the universe works?
Oh yes, a fun challenge. :smile:
Reply 43
Thomm
Apart from an advanced understanding of how the universe works?

but what use is that compared to true contentment?
Reply 44
I'd like a break and to travel a bit. But I still want to do medicine so I couldn't ever just up and leave.
I want to try to do this once I finish uni and when I have earnt enough money then i'm going to go travelling with no clear intention... but to learn who i am and be who I want to be and not be influenced by family and friends. But I know that Its not going to be that easy. But well see... I think everybody has potential to do that, but only a few people actually go ahead with it.

I often feel like I have alot of jealousy, due to me not doing that... but Its down to me to make it happen!
Reply 46
mermania
but what use is that compared to true contentment?

Do you really think that the naked people running about the jungle in all those cheesy documentaries are really content? No, they're just excited at seeing cameras and white people. Thinking that these people live easy/ simple lives is nothing less than patronizing towards them.

Latest

Trending

Trending