Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have broadband downstairs and im moving my computer ( i have a laptop aswell, but i need the computer aswell) can someone tell me what i need to let it receive a wireless connection, currently its just connected via a usb cable to the dsl modem, do i need some sort of wireless card, to slot into the usb port? if so where is the best places to get them?

ReputationRep:
    You'll need a wireless router with ADSL modem and also a wireless receiver for the PC (you can get USB ones). It's pretty standard stuff, should be able to get it at any PC shop like PC World.

ReputationRep:
    How do you plan on 'slotting' the wireless card in the USB? :p:
    Sounds like you have a modem; you'll need a wireless router like Psyk said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Defcon)
    How do you plan on 'slotting' the wireless card in the USB? :p:
    Sounds like you have a modem; you'll need a wireless router like Psyk said
    i dont know if i dreamt this but i saw something (shaped like a usb stick) that will go into the port so that you can receive wireless....and yes i have a wireless modem but ive connected it via a usb to my computer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    You'll need a wireless router with ADSL modem and also a wireless receiver for the PC (you can get USB ones). It's pretty standard stuff, should be able to get it at any PC shop like PC World.
    how much do these roughly cost?

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to my resident computer expert about the wireless cards which go into the USB port last week when I thought I was having trouble. He said they're about £25.

ReputationRep:
    They're more adapters not cards... the card ones go into a little slot in the laptop.
    Exactly what router/modem do you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Defcon)
    They're more adapters not cards... the card ones go into a little slot in the laptop.
    Exactly what router/modem do you have?
    do the adapters do the same job as cards? i cant be bothered to go downstairs to check the exact make but its the standard one you get with AOL/BT...i think thompson speed touch :confused:

and hannah_dru ..did you have to get specific one because i was just checking some out in the argos catelogue and they all refer to one modem specifically?

ReputationRep:
    Yer they do, cards are for laptops (mainly) and adapters can be used on both.
    I bought a Cisco-Linksys adapter a few days ago from eBuyer for my computer for emergency situations.

Hmm... I had a speedtouch modem before but now I have a router with o2 BB.
    Go to 192.168.1.254 and get the model from there.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.