The Student Room Group

Cambridge interviews

I have applied to study History at Cambridge University.
I got sent the details for to log into the college's website and it says that the interviews will all be academically focused. What exactly does this mean? Will they not talk about my personal statement/essays I send in or is that included under "academically focused"?
Original post by lhq20054
I got sent the details for to log into the college's website and it says that the interviews will all be academically focused. What exactly does this mean? Will they not talk about my personal statement/essays I send in or is that included under "academically focused"?

You might get asked about something in your personal statement, but generally speaking Cambridge interviews are academic in nature.

You get can a general overview of what they're like from this page (which includes some videos).

There is also a good overview here, which confirms that, "The main focus of interviews is to explore your academic potential, motivation and suitability for your chosen course."
Original post by lhq20054

Heya!
If you need any help with the interviews or generally want to find out more then do check out this Oxbridge articles for interviews :h: Perhaps you would find the tips there useful and good luck with your application!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
Oxbridge Mind
Reply 3
All it means is that if you have brought up any hobbies/interests in your personal statement that aren't particularly related to history, you shouldn't expect them to be brought up as the focus for a question.
They might still be mentioned by the academics interviewing you at the beginning as small talk to relax you so it's worth remembering what you put but they won't be assessing it at all.
Good luck with your application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending