The Student Room Group

Eating Disorder

Hi I don’t know why but is this an eating disorder I cannot eat rice every time I do either the taste or smell makes me want to throw up and if I do eat it I have it by forcefully knowing not for it to go to waste and it’s part of carbohydrates.
Reply 1
I wouldn't say eating disorder in the traditional sense, sounds more like a sensory issue with rice specifically. In that case I would try to avoid rice based foods (there's plenty of other types of carbohydrates with the same nutrients). If you still want/have to eat rice, try masking the taste and smell by using other ingredients, for example making a curry that is very flavourful, or altering how long you cook the rice for so it's more/less soft.
that is not an eating disorder, you just don't like rice. eat something else if you don't like it. it's not like it's the only carb.

eating disorders are serious mental illnesses that have the highest mortality rate of any psychiatric illness. i wouldn't wish them upon anyone, mine nearly killed me twice.
Original post by ral973
I wouldn't say eating disorder in the traditional sense, sounds more like a sensory issue with rice specifically. In that case I would try to avoid rice based foods (there's plenty of other types of carbohydrates with the same nutrients). If you still want/have to eat rice, try masking the taste and smell by using other ingredients, for example making a curry that is very flavourful, or altering how long you cook the rice for so it's more/less soft.

Thank you much appreciated :smile:
Original post by lucyyy12
that is not an eating disorder, you just don't like rice. eat something else if you don't like it. it's not like it's the only carb.

eating disorders are serious mental illnesses that have the highest mortality rate of any psychiatric illness. i wouldn't wish them upon anyone, mine nearly killed me twice.

Sorry but eating rice alone with or without curry makes me want to throw up
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

I think since this is only one food, and it sounds like a physical issue or sensory rather than mental, you shouldn't call it an eating disorder but rather a sensory issue with rice. Eating disorders usually tend to be much more extreme and not just restricted to one food (eg avoiding all food entirely, or binge eating), and usually need lots of psychological help because they affect the person to the point where their lifestyle is unhealthy.
An aversion to rice is not really comparable to a full-blown eating disorder so some people who have or know people who have an eating disorder may see it as dismissive to call other things EDs. Unless you think you fit the symptoms of an eating disorder or have been diagnosed with one, I wouldn't call this an ED.
Original post by ral973
I think since this is only one food, and it sounds like a physical issue or sensory rather than mental, you shouldn't call it an eating disorder but rather a sensory issue with rice. Eating disorders usually tend to be much more extreme and not just restricted to one food (eg avoiding all food entirely, or binge eating), and usually need lots of psychological help because they affect the person to the point where their lifestyle is unhealthy.
An aversion to rice is not really comparable to a full-blown eating disorder so some people who have or know people who have an eating disorder may see it as dismissive to call other things EDs. Unless you think you fit the symptoms of an eating disorder or have been diagnosed with one, I wouldn't call this an ED.

Why is this a sensory issue.
Reply 7

Because you don't have an issue with eating, your issue is with the texture/taste/smell of rice specifically, which means the root problem is with your senses, not your mind, having an aversion to rice.
Original post by ral973
Because you don't have an issue with eating, your issue is with the texture/taste/smell of rice specifically, which means the root problem is with your senses, not your mind, having an aversion to rice.

Oh so do I just avoid it
is it an eating disorder if i don’t like rice what an insult to people actually suffering with an ed💀
is it an eating disorder if i don’t like rice what an insult to people actually suffering with an ed💀

I would be offended if most of the people who posted here weren’t children.

this is such an insult to people struggling with actual eating disorders. I actually feel like reporting this post.
not liking the texture of rice may be a sensory issue, but certainly not an eating disorder. firstly, eating disorders go much deeper than food and are often not really about food at all. food is just the control element of the disorder.

you are lucky enough to have never suffered, nor know anyone who has suffered an ED such as anorexia, which has such detrimental physical and psychological effects, both on the sufferer and those around them. Five years on, my body is still suffering the consequences of severe malnutrition despite being a healthy weight again (finally). Not to mention the mental suffering it caused me and my family.
Sorry but I was referring to how I don’t like it because of my sensory issue hence why I would throw up I deeply apologise
Hi I don’t know why but is this an eating disorder I cannot eat rice every time I do either the taste or smell makes me want to throw up and if I do eat it I have it by forcefully knowing not for it to go to waste and it’s part of carbohydrates.

It's the same for me and bananas. I can't touch them without gagging. It sounds like more of a sensory issue than an eating disorder though.
Original post by eternalwire
It's the same for me and bananas. I can't touch them without gagging. It sounds like more of a sensory issue than an eating disorder though.

Oh okay
Reply 15
Original post by eternalwire

me too! it's because I'm vegetarian and 4 years ago I went to an overnight school thing with no vegetarian options, so I ate like 4 bananas in one afternoon which was not great for your body. So now my body reacts badly any time I eat banana because it remembers that time.

Quick Reply

Latest