Turn on thread page Beta

The "I'm thinking of picking up a new instrument" thread. watch

ReputationRep:
    if you already play clarinet or oboe, people say flute isnt a very good idea because it requires completely different mouth position etc..not sure how true that is though.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    There are so many instruments I want to take up. Tabla (Indian drums), but that would far too long to master. Harmonica because I was inspired by that guy who was on the Young Musician of the Year (not the most recent one, the one before that). Then there's the saxophone, because I just love it! I've been told I should take up viola to make myself more employable.

I just don't have enough time, money or motivation to take up any though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    There are so many instruments I want to take up. Tabla (Indian drums), but that would far too long to master. Harmonica because I was inspired by that guy who was on the Young Musician of the Year (not the most recent one, the one before that). Then there's the saxophone, because I just love it! I've been told I should take up viola to make myself more employable.

I just don't have enough time, money or motivation to take up any though
    :ditto:

I missed seeing that harmonica guy, I wonly realised that there was one when he had already gone out. Wonder whether he's on YouTube. I love harmonica anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    This is the "picking up a new instrument" thread

:p:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Trying the cello is top on my list. Followed by acoustic guitar. My dad taught himself and actually, he ain't half bad. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Cello O_O I only ever had a go at cello about 10 years ago at school. There was one sitting in the wee room where we had flute lessons and we were waiting on the teacher. I had a go and even though it was pretty wrecked and out of tune, it had the most amazingly beautiful (almost haunting) sound.

So many missed opportunities. It was the bass score thingie that put me off.

But to spend so much on an instrument, especially when you're only thinking of picking it up and trying it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebush1990)
    if you already play clarinet or oboe, people say flute isnt a very good idea because it requires completely different mouth position etc..not sure how true that is though.
    I can differentiate my embrouchere quite well between my instruments.
    But it could be a problem :/ I tried to play a tuba for a day and it completely destroyed my double reed instrument embroucheres. :/ and I really liked the tuba.

ReputationRep:
    I took up the viola after a big gap from dropping the violin exam pieces my parents and teacher got me to play. It makes such a huge difference not having to carry the examination baggage.

ReputationRep:
    My original woodwind teacher had an amazing flute tone and although she could play the clarinet, etc, she avoided it at all costs!

When she was off for a while, we'd two different teachers whose primary instrument was the clarinet and their flute tone was pretty 'airy'.

But everyone's different! I wonder how many people start off on a reed instrument then move to something like a flute and can still produce and incredible sound from both?

ReputationRep:
    Play the french horn! It's brill! Although, if you play another brass instrument (or any other mouthy (?) instrument perhaps) then it might not be a good idea. I took it up about a year and a half ago having played a cornet since I was 8 and I can now no longer play the cornet AT ALL because it has completely changed my embouchure. However, I love my french horn so much that I really don't mind...and it's not that hard actually if you already play another instrument and are vaguely musical. So yeah! French horns are brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    This is the "picking up a new instrument" thread

:p:
    You can pick up a drum :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuna47)
    My original woodwind teacher had an amazing flute tone and although she could play the clarinet, etc, she avoided it at all costs!

When she was off for a while, we'd two different teachers whose primary instrument was the clarinet and their flute tone was pretty 'airy'.

But everyone's different! I wonder how many people start off on a reed instrument then move to something like a flute and can still produce and incredible sound from both?
    i haven't played either for a few years now, but when i used to play clarinet i could usually produce a good sound on a flute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la.de.da)
    You can pick up a drum :yep:

Touche

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I play the flute, and my flute teacher has banned me from ever going near an oboe/cor anglais despite the fact I really really want to!

We regularly have arguments about me playing cornet and clarinet but I make sure I've done enough flute practice before I even touch those instruments as flute is my main priority..and the one I've just been hired on!By the army...can you tell I'm dead excited?!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbellejess)
    Yeah I play the flute, and my flute teacher has banned me from ever going near an oboe/cor anglais despite the fact I really really want to![/COLOR]
    lol! When the only oboe player in the school left, the head of the music dept popped her head round the door during one of my lessons and asked if I wanted to try it. I was like :eek::w00t: my teacher said nothing but pulled this face :sly: (only much, much scarier!), the head of the dept left without a word. Not even :puppyeyes: worked. Possibly because she was having a hard enough time trying to get me to practice the flute, nevermind something else! :p:

I think that might be why I still yearn to at least have a go of an oboe. But would preferably like to really, really learn it!!! :yep:

And the army... You're much braver than me! Good on ya and best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Oboe is reallly hard. And reeds pretty much ruin your life.
    But it is a beautiful instrument. I'm working towards my grade 8 soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doublereedfreak)
    Oboe is reallly hard. And reeds pretty much ruin your life.
    But it is a beautiful instrument. I'm working towards my grade 8 soon.
    I remember you once said you'd found a virtually flawless reed.... How long did it last? That's another thing about double reed instruments - the cost of the reeds! :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuna47)
    I remember you once said you'd found a virtually flawless reed.... How long did it last? That's another thing about double reed instruments - the cost of the reeds! :o:
    That reed has long since died
    Not good.
    I've got a pretty nice one rightnow so it's okthough.
    Yes oboe reeds are ridiculously expensive for what they are.

ReputationRep:
    My friend told me it wasn't a good idea to take up saxophone for the same reason as above because I play flute. I took it up anyway and it's perfectly fine.

Previous flute teachers of mine all seem to be able to play the clarinet as well and they sound fantastic on both instruments.

Not sure if it makes a difference to which instrument you learn first??

ReputationRep:
    cool thread idea

one day i'd like to play as many instruments as poss...

i'd like to be able to do the electric guitar but i'm currently not adding anymore instruments to my bag until i reach grade 8 on my other projects post piano: vocals, pop music theory, sax, violin, recorder

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.