The Student Room Group

biology or biochemistry bsc

1) what are the pros and cons of a biology and biochemistry degree?
2) which degree would be more suitable for toxicology?
Reply 1
I think Biochemistry would be more suited. It is literally the chemistry of life so is far more relevant to toxicology. That said you could probably do Toxicology as an optional module with either course, at least you could at my uni. The big difference with Biology is you have to do all the ecology stuff too, which I had no interest in!Biochem all the way for me! It was a great course.
Original post by indizino

Hey @indizino

It really depends on what parts of bioscience you prefer, I much prefer learning about molecular and cellular biology than larger biology such as organs and ecosystems so I chose biochemistry to focus in on my favourite subjects.

If you're interested in toxicology in terms of impact on cells/genetics/metabolism etc. then biochemistry would definitely be suitable but you could also probably study the same modules in a biology degree. If you also like the "larger" biology then biochemistry might be a bit too specific.

I'd recommend looking through the modules offered in both courses at universities you are interested in and comparing to see which selections you prefer.

I hope I could help!
Rebecca :smile:
Original post by indizino

100% Biochem for toxicology

Quick Reply

Latest