Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am doing a blog to help me motivate myself. I am 19, female, looking to lose 10 pounds. Current weight is 132 pounds.
    I am starting from monday so will post again then......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam167)
    I am doing a blog to help me motivate myself. I am 19, female, looking to lose 10 pounds. Current weight is 132 pounds.
    I am starting from monday so will post again then.....
    How tall are you? What is your BMI.... How are you planning to lose 10lbs?

ReputationRep:
    Ok my short term goal is to stick to this for 4 weeks / 28 days. I expect to lose roughly 5 pounds :yep:.

Food: Will have a calorie goal of 1500 a day and eating back calories burnt from exercise. Today I am trying to cut down on sweet stuff as I know after a couple of days I won't crave it so much and will choose the more filling healthy option over the sweets as I am actually hungry and not sugar crashing. Its where my motivation is tested most :o:

Exercise: I plan to do a mix of cardio, such as 2000m rowing, 10k on the bike, 5k run. Would like to try stuff I don't usually do like the stepper/ crosstrainer.
    I cardio 3 times a week.
    Also once a week I want to try to do a different class, this week I will do boxercise.
    Ok now for weights, this is where I get most confused . I plan on using the resistance machines as i'm quite weak. I plan to do 3 set of 10 reps of the following:

Machine Weight
    Standing calf - 11.5
    Leg press - 40.5 + 10
    Incline pull - 13.5 + 15
    Chest press - 0 + 15
    Arm curl - 10
    Abdominals - 13.5 + 15

Note: These machines were only chosen as I was looking at the little pictures and if they worked a muscle that the other machines hadn't then I added them to my list :rolleyes:. If you have any advise on other machines to use I am welcome to advise :p:. My goals with the weights is to increase overall strength and make my arms look better. I hope to increase the weight used on the machines as they are a little low at the moment! I will do weights 3 times a week, possible before cardio.

ReputationRep:
    Ok my short term goal is to stick to this for 4 weeks / 28 days. I expect to lose roughly 5 pounds :yep:.

Food: Will have a calorie goal of 1500 a day and eating back calories burnt from exercise. Today I am trying to cut down on sweet stuff as I know after a couple of days I won't crave it so much and will choose the more filling healthy option over the sweets as I am actually hungry and not sugar crashing. Its where my motivation is tested most :o:

Exercise: I plan to do a mix of cardio, such as 2000m rowing, 10k on the bike, 5k run. Would like to try stuff I don't usually do like the stepper/ crosstrainer.
    I cardio 3 times a week.
    Also once a week I want to try to do a different class, this week I will do boxercise.
    Ok now for weights, this is where I get most confused . I plan on using the resistance machines as i'm quite weak. I plan to do 3 set of 10 reps of the following:

Machine Weight
    Standing calf - 11.5
    Leg press - 40.5 + 10
    Incline pull - 13.5 + 15
    Chest press - 0 + 15
    Arm curl - 10
    Abdominals - 13.5 + 15

Note: These machines were only chosen as I was looking at the little pictures and if they worked a muscle that the other machines hadn't then I added them to my list :rolleyes:. If you have any advise on other machines to use I am welcome to advise :p:. My goals with the weights is to increase overall strength and make my arms look better. I hope to increase the weight used on the machines as they are a little low at the moment! I will do weights 3 times a week, possible before cardio.
    Don't use machines. Get using free weights - do not be embarrased. Stick to compound movements until you have built up some strength:

exrx.net is you friends with videos, pictures.

Stick with:
    Squats (you can do this with a swiss ball to help form if you struggle) = Quads, hams, glutes, core
    Deadlifts (use an empty bar to begin with) - hams, glutes, core and lower back to a very small degree
    Bench press - incline and flat. Start off with dumbells - shoulders, chest, arms, core also your back
    Military press - shoulders, arms, back

Those are all you need to begin with. Do not worry about getting big, because being a girl you won't! Have you read the big sticky? Lots of hints and tips in there - especially on the diet and exercise front.

Use 5 sets of 5 reps. That way you can up the weight quicker and you'll get better results. Don't go over complicating things...

You can keep the sit ups and add MAN pressups - don't forget to add some abdominal twists as well and use a medicine ball. Don't use a curl bar thing for sit ups though.

ALSO - DITCH THE SCALES. Go on how you look, or how your favourite pair of jeans feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Venom)
    Don't use machines. Get using free weights - do not be embarrased. Stick to compound movements until you have built up some strength:

exrx.net is you friends with videos, pictures.

Stick with:
    Squats (you can do this with a swiss ball to help form if you struggle) = Quads, hams, glutes, core
    Deadlifts (use an empty bar to begin with) - hams, glutes, core and lower back to a very small degree
    Bench press - incline and flat. Start off with dumbells - shoulders, chest, arms, core also your back

Those are all you need to begin with. Do not worry about getting big, because being a girl you won't! Have you read the big sticky? Lots of hints and tips in there - especially on the diet and exercise front.

Use 5 sets of 5 reps. That way you can up the weight quicker and you'll get better results. Don't go over complicating things...

You can keep the sit ups and add MAN pressups - don't forget to add some abdominal twists as well and use a medicine ball. Don't use a curl bar thing for sit ups though.

ALSO - DITCH THE SCALES. Go on how you look, or how your favourite pair of jeans feel.
    Hey thanks for the advise! I was wondering about free weights, will check the sticky and website out later when I have more time .
    I will add the man pressups, but do prefer using the curl bar thing for sit ups. I may do some abdominal twists though.....

Haha yes everyone say to ditch the scale but I know weight fluctuates and I will put on some weight from muscle so i'm not to bothered about what they say. I will only be weighing myself in 4 weeks as I don't have scales at uni and will have to wait until I go home.

ReputationRep:
    Stick with:
    There's no reason not to add in some bent over rows there. Once those are in, agree you've got a good basic compounds routine.

ReputationRep:
    Squatting with a swiss ball will not stress the form. Theres no reason why should couldn't start on a 5/10/15kg barbell, alot of gyms have them if she struggles with a proper one. Swiss ball squats have a very wierd movement compared to a proper Barbell squat, the back ends up straight, with the knees not breaking at all. If this was carried over to a bb squat, the centre of gravity would sit about 2 feet behind where it needs to be.

Start deadlifts off a platform if you are just using the bar

Bench press with a barbell will allow the trainee to control the weight added much more easily. You can get barbell plates as small as .125kg, whereas the fixed dumbbells in the gym will jump in 4-5kg steps normally.

ReputationRep:
    Ok looked at the website, was quite amusing, in etiquette gym: "naked persons always have the right away" and "release your farts where no one else can smell them" :laugh: Dunno why I found that so amusing. Anyways so new weight program will be what lady venom said:

Squats - I think I will do as bebbs said and find a light barbell as I can imagine the ball flying out of my hands XD.

Deadlifts - Always wondered what these were! Found out now :p:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    Start deadlifts off a platform if you are just using the bar.
    May be stupid question but what is a platform?

Bench press - So again if I use a barbell should I use 5/10/15kg? And what weight should I use on the fixed one :/

Military press - Looks difficult to do but ok . 5/10/15kg bar?

Bent over rows - Why not? :p: 5/10/15kg bar?

So how many of these should I do? 5 sets of 5 reps I think you said?

Will also add press ups and situp/abdominal twists.

To be honest I am quite scared to do these, there is a while floor dedicated to free weights at my gym, never been up there. Will I look stupid with my tiny barbell :o:. Kinda scare my form will be terrible as well. Guess I will go when the gym is quite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    There's no reason not to add in some bent over rows there. Once those are in, agree you've got a good basic compounds routine.
    Yup. Agree.

(Original post by Bebbs)
    Squatting with a swiss ball will not stress the form. Theres no reason why should couldn't start on a 5/10/15kg barbell, alot of gyms have them if she struggles with a proper one. Swiss ball squats have a very wierd movement compared to a proper Barbell squat, the back ends up straight, with the knees not breaking at all. If this was carried over to a bb squat, the centre of gravity would sit about 2 feet behind where it needs to be.
    Ok that's a fair point... most girls I see squatting use a Swiss ball so assumed it was the norm, because I'm just not the norm :rolleyes:

Start deadlifts off a platform if you are just using the bar

Bench press with a barbell will allow the trainee to control the weight added much more easily. You can get barbell plates as small as .125kg, whereas the fixed dumbbells in the gym will jump in 4-5kg steps normally.
    Good idea again.... we only have Oly bars in my gym but DBs start at 1kg and go up to 10kg before they jump around.

Ok looked at the website, was quite amusing, in etiquette gym: "naked persons always have the right away" and "release your farts where no one else can smell them" :laugh: Dunno why I found that so amusing. Anyways so new weight program will be what lady venom said:

Squats - I think I will do as bebbs said and find a light barbell as I can imagine the ball flying out of my hands XD.

Bench press - So again if I use a barbell should I use 5/10/15kg? And what weight should I use on the fixed one :/

To be honest I am quite scared to do these, there is a while floor dedicated to free weights at my gym, never been up there. Will I look stupid with my tiny barbell :o:. Kinda scare my form will be terrible as well. Guess I will go when the gym is quite
    Best thing to do is to try a 5kg bar, and it it's too light try the 10 and if it's too heavy put some plates on the 5kg to make it 7kg for example. It's a lot of trial and error at the beginning. No one is going to mind or judge you and if they do; it won't be to your face. Start with 3x5 I reckon then move up to 5x5 when you are comfortable with your routine and the weights. Make sure you add weight each week and challenge your body.

ReputationRep:

For each of the exercises start with a very low weight that you know you can manage so you can get used to the movement. At first you'll probably feel that the weight is unsteady when you try to lift anything that's actually taxing your strength to any considerable degree, but at first getting the form correct is more important than piling on the weight. Just up the weight to the point where you can still lift it with good technique and not beyond that, and you'll soon find you're a lot more stable on the lifts.

5x5 is a good number of sets/reps so I'd stick with that.

ReputationRep:

A platform is placing plates on top of one another until they set the bar at the same height as a 20kg plate.

The weight should be one that is taxing but will not cause massive breakdowns in form.

You won't look stupid if you go into the freeweights room.

Ok that's a fair point... most girls I see squatting use a Swiss ball so assumed it was the norm, because I'm just not the norm
    I saw a group of guys swiss ball squatting the other day, and it got me thinking about how stupid the mechanics are.

These are the only type of swiss ball squats you should consider:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    I saw a group of guys swiss ball squatting the other day, and it got me thinking about how stupid the mechanics are.

These are the only type of swiss ball squats you should consider:

Attempting this without a spotter would result in epic fail I feel....:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Attempting this without a spotter would result in epic fail I feel....:yep:
    I get the feeling that I'd be chucked out if the induction guy caught me trying that. He already has a go at me every now and then for squatting and deadlifting without shoes on. So sue me, I like my heels flat on the floor.

Good luck Sam! Lifting proper weights is much more fun than machines.

ReputationRep:
    I turned up in flip flops not realising that DL don't allow flip flops once.... I just carried on....

ReputationRep:
    I just deadlift and squat in converse as they have a thin flat sole, in comp I deadlift in surfer shoes as they have a silly thin rubber grip sole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    I just deadlift and squat in converse as they have a thin flat sole, in comp I deadlift in surfer shoes as they have a silly thin rubber grip sole.
    Yeah, I used converses tonight. It's just that I suspect the gym induction guy objects to barefoot lifting in case I drop a weight on my foot. I don't see how a millimetre of canvas is going to keep my metatarsals intact if I ever drop 10/20 kgs on them.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.