Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are us students part of a conveyor belt system? Watch

• View Poll Results: Is there a educational conveyor belt we are expected to follow?
    Yes
    86.36%
    No
    13.64%

ReputationRep:
    Are us students part of a conveyor belt system?

The reason I ask this, is that we were discussing this in media. We saw a article in the newspaper where a girl had got 10 good gcses, but was refused by her local college to 'study' hairdressing, because she was too *overqualified*.

There seems to be a system at the moment:

Good sats --> good gcses ---> good a-levels --> goto uni
    lower sats --> lower grade gcses --> go to college --> work

I am neither saying this is right or wrong.

I have a friend who got 3 Es 2 Cs, a BTEC (Level 2 first- Pass) and a D at gcse at her old school. She didn't even get the grades to get into the sixthform at our current school at the time (4Cs) which has a 39% gcse 5 a-c pass rate.

Now, however, she has 4 distinctions in a health/care btec, is re-taking her maths, and is likely to get DDD (= 3 As at a level) in her national.

She is applying to go to a top 20 uni to do Physio.

However,

My brother is eceptionally gifted and talented in music (in the top 5% :eek: ) had great SATS, but however has got used to not putting much effort because music comes so easy to him. His target grades are at least 2/3 grades higher than his 'working at' grades. He wants to leave school after his GCSEs. I would, hope, that he did a level 3 course, but at the way he is going it definatly isn't looking that likely.

What do other people think? Do you agree that there is a educational conveyor belt we are expected to follow?

ReputationRep:
    Bumpy!

ReputationRep:
    yeah

ReputationRep:
    Bumpy! Come on people...debate and discuss!

ReputationRep:
    yeah
    Expand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9ruby)
    Why don't you join a debate team or something? Instead of posting about 40 different threads on TSR every day, containing whatever crosses your mind.

I don't agree, many lower/average students go on to get brilliant GCSE and A-level results and end up going to unversity. Many students with brilliant SATs and GCSE's go on to do poorly on A-levels and don't go to university.

But why do you see working instead of going to university as a result of poor grades?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree, OP, too many threads.

You've made like 16-17 threads within the past 5 days, and currently have 4 threads on the home page.

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by k9ruby

Why don't you join a debate team or something? Instead of posting about 40 different threads on TSR every day, containing whatever crosses your mind.

I don't agree, many lower/average students go on to get brilliant GCSE and A-level results and end up going to unversity. Many students with brilliant SATs and GCSE's go on to do poorly on A-levels and don't go to university.

But why do you see working instead of going to university as a result of poor grades?
    Nope, thats the thing. This is the thing, we are having shoved down our throats. What I'm trying to say, this isn't always the case, and yes, I am part of my schools debating society!

ReputationRep:
    Why are you bumping your thread? You only started it 15 minutes ago. There is no need.

Well I guess most people achieve consistently over the years, unless they either substantially improve or worsen. I'd imagine that the majority of people continue at the same level of academic achievement. Not everyone goes to uni though, it isn't for everyone e.g. those who wish to pursue vocational routes etc.

I guess 'high achievers' are in someway expected to go on and take A levels, then go to uni etc, but I think this is just a cultural idea of doing as well as you can etc. It isn't necessarily a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    I do feel that there are certain expectations placed on students at any level; I, for instance, took a couple of years to work my way around to going to university. Having three 'A's (plus another in General Studies, but that's a pisstake anyway), I got a lot of grief from ex-teachers, people I worked with, my friends, everyone, because it was just expected that I would go to uni. On the other hand, earlier on, a couple of my friends were failing their A-levels and they just got no help from the staff and dropped out, getting full-time jobs. I thought it was very unfair because they weren't given the encouragement the "better" students were (when the latter arguably needed it less anyway).

So, yeah...I think there are definitely expectations of the role you should automatically fall into based on your grades. However, that's not to say that no one can buck the trend.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    I think the vasy majority of us do just follow the next step. It's just the expected thing to do - you get good gcses, you get good a levels and then you go to uni before you start thinking about what *you* want. There are a significant number of exceptions, but generally I think we like to just follow the "conveyor belt." I don't think you can be blamed for this though - it would take a lot of courage to walk away from the path and find your own route at 15/16. And if you know that it works for most people, then why go against it?

It's not just school/education that have conveyor belts though. How many people plan to get a good education, get a good job, start a family and then retire?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree, OP, too many threads.

You've made like 16-17 threads within the past 5 days, and currently have 4 threads on the home page.
    Why does it matter?

I like it here

ReputationRep:
    bump-a-roonie

ReputationRep:
    For me that isn't true. I got good SATs, average GCSEs, failed my A Levels (well, one E & didn't complete the other 2) and am attempting my third different course to get me into uni.

ReputationRep:
    I got bad GCSE'S and bad A-Levels, but then went to uni. Woohoo! i beat the system!
    Hopefully i won't get a bad degree to complete my set of bad qualifications...

ReputationRep:
    'Are WE students part of a conveyor-belt system', shurely?

ReputationRep:
    Erm. Yes, of course we are. I mean it's hammered into us allll the time.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds accurate to me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.