Turn on thread page Beta

How does it feel to be interested in something? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have been wondering for a long time, how does it feel to be interested in something? I was hoping if someone could describe the feeling. I would be really grateful.

If it's not possible to describe the feeling of being interested in something, it would be at least nice to know the purpose of the question: "What are you interested in?"

ReputationRep:
    This might be better suited to a different forum - chat or even philosophy!

For me, to be interested in something is to spend time thinking about it and enjoy thinking about it (or even doing it, if it's a sport or something).

ReputationRep:
    Are you not interested in anything at all? Not interested in knowing how your family and friends are?

For me, having a interest is basically the same as wanting/longing to do or for something.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I thought that not knowing how does it feel to be interested in something is a sign of mental deficiency (mental defiency - mental health - health).

(Original post by KayleeLand)
    Are you not interested in anything at all? Not interested in knowing how your family and friends are?
    I think I have to be interested in something. Sleeping, eating, pleasure. But I already know that those aren't good answers for the question (I usually answer sleeping and eating and the asker is not satisfied with the answer. I haven't tried the third option because I'm afraid that it could be interpreted perverse).

I'm not interested in knowing if my family and friends are doing well. If they say that they are not feeling good I just want to know if they're dying or something almost equally serious, otherwise I don't feel anything. Life has its ups and downs. In a situation where one of my friends for example tells me about their problems I just follow the "listening and comforting" protocol, because it's the right way to handle the situation. I don't feel anything. Or perhaps bored.

I think that when people ask the question they want to find out good themes for the following discussion, but usually I fail in answering this question. Why do I even try? Perhaps I should just show middle finger when I'm asked this question and if the asker still wants to continue speaking to me, the conversation has a good chance of succeeding and it's worth trying to continue talking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nices)
    I'm not interested in knowing if my family and friends are doing well. If they say that they are not feeling good I just want to know if they're dying or something almost equally serious, otherwise I don't feel anything. Life has its ups and downs. In a situation where one of my friends for example tells me about their problems I just follow the "listening and comforting" protocol, because it's the right way to handle the situation. I don't feel anything. Or perhaps bored. .
    aah and i believed i was the only one who was the 'emotionally disclosed' :confused: when some people have to waste half an hour of my time *****ing about some girl who started flirting with her bf-'get a life' is what im tempted to shout most of the time 'dont just sit there and complain to me. call him. act upon it !" but yes most of the time this is out of the question and as you say the 'listening and comforting protocol' has to be completed before anything else.

But to be GENUINELY interested in something means (well for me personally!) taking it a step further than everyone else, eg be i interested in judo, i would join a judo club. enter a competition. join a national society.etc

ReputationRep:
    ^ May you be suffering from depression? You clearly are showing signs of loss of interest (no pun intended).

Don't do your middle finger thing - this is pretty selfish and I class it as attention seeking.

TSR clearly interests you, or you wouldn't be on here. How do you study? Or tell me something else about you.

ReputationRep:
    Is there really nothing? Nothing you enjoy, that you want to do again. Or simply something that fascinates you, so that you want to learn more about it. Or even just wanting to see something again?

ReputationRep:
    Well, as you're interested about what you could be interested in, you clearly have at least one interest.

Just say you have an avid interest in finding new interests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nices)
    Well, I thought that not knowing how does it feel to be interested in something is a sign of mental deficiency (mental defiency - mental health - health).

I think I have to be interested in something. Sleeping, eating, pleasure. But I already know that those aren't good answers for the question (I usually answer sleeping and eating and the asker is not satisfied with the answer. I haven't tried the third option because I'm afraid that it could be interpreted perverse).

I'm not interested in knowing if my family and friends are doing well. If they say that they are not feeling good I just want to know if they're dying or something almost equally serious, otherwise I don't feel anything. Life has its ups and downs. In a situation where one of my friends for example tells me about their problems I just follow the "listening and comforting" protocol, because it's the right way to handle the situation. I don't feel anything. Or perhaps bored.

I think that when people ask the question they want to find out good themes for the following discussion, but usually I fail in answering this question. Why do I even try? Perhaps I should just show middle finger when I'm asked this question and if the asker still wants to continue speaking to me, the conversation has a good chance of succeeding and it's worth trying to continue talking.
    Might you be slightly autistic?

ReputationRep:
    do you ever read the news? what sorts of articles do you read? what magazines do you read? what programs do you watch? where do you go?

being interested in something means you want to find out more about it or improve at it. It'll mean you want to stay up reading about it or go out of your way to do something. And it can give you goals and a distraction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nices)
    You wouldn't call them friends if you weren't interested in them.

Living is quite an interesting thing. What you are looking for is a passion, I can't help you there though.

ReputationRep:
    Well I guess I would join a judo club if I was interested in judo... The problem really is that I don't seem to find anything that really interests me. Or do you happen to know any good sleeping clubs or something xD?

I know that lack of interests is a sign of depression and it would be nice if I could be treated for depression and become interested in things, but unfortunately, I don't even feel depressed.

Okay, no middle finger, even though that would be an easy solution. I think I'm selfish but I don't want other people to know it. I don't want attention, I don't need it and it makes everything difficult.

TSR interests me because here I can ask stupid things and people actually answer to me... I usually study the night before the exam. I only study the main things.

Something else about me... Well, I'm afraid of my interview with career counsellor because she's definitely going to ask the million dollar question. And if I cannot answer anything reasonable, I'm going to get in trouble.

...the vagina
    thats pretty interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nices)
    Well I guess I would join a judo club if I was interested in judo... The problem really is that I don't seem to find anything that really interests me. Or do you happen to know any good sleeping clubs or something xD?

I know that lack of interests is a sign of depression and it would be nice if I could be treated for depression and become interested in things, but unfortunately, I don't even feel depressed.

Okay, no middle finger, even though that would be an easy solution. I think I'm selfish but I don't want other people to know it. I don't want attention, I don't need it and it makes everything difficult.

TSR interests me because here I can ask stupid things and people actually answer to me... I usually study the night before the exam. I only study the main things.

Something else about me... Well, I'm afraid of my interview with career counsellor because she's definitely going to ask the million dollar question. And if I cannot answer anything reasonable, I'm going to get in trouble.
    Would you be interested in psychology?
    It sounds like something you might be into.

Give us an example of these "stupid" questions that you like to ask?
    It'd certainly help.

ReputationRep:
    I kinda know the feeling... I was going to enter a writing competition in which you had to write about "A Passion" but then I realised... I don't think I'm passionate about anything. And OK that's some way down the scale from "interested" but still.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to learn anything at all. Except how to handle the obligatory situations with other people so that I can live as easily as possible. There's nothing special about me. I have always thought that I'm just some random person taken from the corner of a street and shouldn't even be at school.

If I would'nt have friends, I would have to explain all the time why I don't have them. I usually spend my time on the Internet, reading online newspapers or just watching videos on YouTube. I don't watch television much anymore.

How could I know if I'm interested in psychology? I took one psychology course and that didn't go too well...

My stupid questions... Well, I tend to ask questions that other people think are obvious. I'm like a three-year-old asking why all the time.

I recognise pain when I hurt myself, I feel sadness rolling down my cheeks as tears or happiness bursting out as laughter but I just cannot understand this magical "passion" or even it's milder form, interest. Do other people feel passion or interest? Why wouldn't I feel it then? There can't be anything wrong with me. I don't see why I would be different. I'm not. Everybody thinks they're are different, but no-one actually is and no-one includes me.

ReputationRep:
    you sound like patrick bateman :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nices)
    I don't want to learn anything at all. Except how to handle the obligatory situations with other people so that I can live as easily as possible One interest here. There's nothing special about me. I have always thought that I'm just some random person taken from the corner of a street and shouldn't even be at school.

If I would'nt have friends, I would have to explain all the time why I don't have them. I usually spend my time on the Internet, reading online newspapers or just watching videos on YouTube. I don't watch television much anymore.
    Fair enough. An interest in the internet huh?

How could I know if I'm interested in psychology? I took one psychology course and that didn't go too well...

I recognise pain when I hurt myself, I feel sadness rolling down my cheeks as tears or happiness bursting out as laughter but I just cannot understand this magical "passion" or even it's milder form, interest. Do other people feel passion or interest? Why wouldn't I feel it then? There can't be anything wrong with me.
    I asked whether you are interested in psychology because well... it just seemed that you were at least interested in your own thought processes.

My stupid questions... Well, I tend to ask questions that other people think are obvious. I'm like a three-year-old asking why all the time.

I don't see why I would be different. I'm not. Everybody thinks they're are different, but no-one actually is and no-one includes me.
    Everybody is different. :confused:

Do you mind giving specific examples of questions that seem obvious?
    >.> very vague indeed.

ReputationRep:
    I checked Patrick Bateman up on Wikipedia and he seems to be an unpleasant character. This is one of my problems with other people, it's not easy to communicate with them because for some reason I get the feeling they think I'm odd. And I do understand it's not normal to murder people!

Again, things I just don't get. Why is everybody different? Flesh and bones following routines. Why does it indicate that I'm not exactly normal if I think that way? I'm sorry I just don't get it.

Why do people ask such questions like "How are you?"? Why is Mensa allowed to discriminate people who have low IQs?

ReputationRep:
    If you're interested in something you constantly want to find out more, talk about it, and think about it a lot. It makes you happy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2008
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.