Turn on thread page Beta

How does it feel to be interested in something? watch

ReputationRep:
    i hate that question
    I always go "uhm. the usual stuff really"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nices)
    I checked Patrick Bateman up on Wikipedia and he seems to be an unpleasant character. This is one of my problems with other people, it's not easy to communicate with them because for some reason I get the feeling they think I'm odd. And I do understand it's not normal to murder people!

Again, things I just don't get. Why is everybody different? Flesh and bones following routines. Why does it indicate that I'm not exactly normal if I think that way? I'm sorry I just don't get it.

Why do people ask such questions like "How are you?"? Why is Mensa allowed to discriminate people who have low IQs?
    Eh... what is 'normal' behaviour is overrated.
    If we define normal as standard or the mode.

Your type of thinking would be outside of what most people think. Everybody is different because...

a) We're genetically different. Simple.

I think you'd like psychology/philosophy. They answer these questions regarding human behaviour. Most foundation and obvious assumptions are questioned...

Why do people ask "how are you"
    a) Because they desire love.
    b) Because they are expressing love (interest)
    c) Because it's standard protocol (Why is it standard protocol?)

You already mentioned you care about your own pleasure, eatting and sleeping. Well.. it's just that but applied to other bodies.

People sometimes define themselves by their friends, sometimes they become so close that the other person almost becomes part of them in which case... having an interest and caring about others is pretty obvious why.

You already said that you'd want to know whether family and friend is dying if they said they weren't very good. (Why would you ask that if you didn't care?)

Once you enter into the adult world, would you still care to know about your family despite having no obligation to keep in touch?

Does having relationships bring any benefit into your life? Keeping friends because it'd lead to easier life and thus contentment.

At the end of the day, people do things because it brings them pleasure or a more accurate term happiness.

ReputationRep:
    I hate that question.

"What are your interests?"

*flustered pause*

"I enjoy yoghurt ?"

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nices)
    I checked Patrick Bateman up on Wikipedia and he seems to be an unpleasant character.
    But damn, can he dance.
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    Everybody is different because...

a) We're genetically different. Simple.
    When you see jars of pickles, do you think they're different just because the pickles lay differently in each jar and every jar has its own pickles?

I think you'd like psychology/philosophy. They answer these questions regarding human behaviour. Most foundation and obvious assumptions are questioned...
    To be honest with you, I hate psychology - passionately and this is only because of the idiotic shrinks. I have seen so many Almighty Judges of Humanity who possess the divine knowledge of the ancient science Pshycghologhy. Behold! Those pathetic worms enjoy dominating other people by demanding them to reveal themselves by appealing to authority. If one day I have kids I will make sure that none of those Epic Fail Emperors of their own life comes anywhere near to my kids. These oppressors aren't even ashamed of using such fragile creatures as children in order to get the information they want. (Yep, my blood pressure raises significantly whenever someone even mentions psychology, so perhaps it's not exactly my thing...) And philosophy is on the blacklist of subjects.

Nah, have to admit, I don't know much about love. Again, one difficult thing for me to understand. Telling me about love is like recommending Chaucer to an illiterate child.

You already said that you'd want to know whether family and friend is dying if they said they weren't very good. (Why would you ask that if you didn't care?)
    Well, if I was really greedy I could be after inheritance... I could find many reasons that don't involve caring. But it would just be dodging the truth. I would cry if someone from my family or friends died. But what would I actually mourn? Do I care for those persons or would I cry for the lost chances to laugh that this bitter reminder of my own blurry destiny the Grim Reaper stole from me?

And if my closest people wouldn't tell me such important thing and just died in silence, it would be a crystal clear signal to me that they don't want me in their vicinity. It would be a rejection.

But still, I do believe I care about them.

Once you enter into the adult world, would you still care to know about your family despite having no obligation to keep in touch?
    You have a hidden assumption there. In the end, I owe everything I have to my parents, so the way I see it, I indeed am obligated to care to know about my family. At least I think that way.

But still, when you sum the serial killer features I apparently have and the answer: "I'm interested in my family and friends" the result isn't exactly an image of a charming and balanced human being...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nices)
    When you see jars of pickles, do you think they're different just because the pickles lay differently in each jar and every jar has its own pickles?
    They'd still be pickles in the same manner that I'd be considered as human. When you see a mother going into a supermarket picking out vegetables, why does she select particular ones? They're all the same right?

You could however argue that we're all just electrons and protons. Are you therefore the same as a packet of crisps?

So answering your questions. They're different because each jar contains it's own varied pickles. You're first answer made me question whether we are different when arranged differently (Tombola in Africa etc)... I'm tempted to say yes. But then it opens the whole can of problems regarding identity.

To be honest with you, I hate psychology - passionately and this is only because of the idiotic shrinks. I have seen so many Almighty Judges of Humanity who possess the divine knowledge of the ancient science Pshycghologhy. Behold! Those pathetic worms enjoy dominating other people by demanding them to reveal themselves by appealing to authority. If one day I have kids I will make sure that none of those Epic Fail Emperors of their own life comes anywhere near to my kids. These oppressors aren't even ashamed of using such fragile creatures as children in order to get the information they want. (Yep, my blood pressure raises significantly whenever someone even mentions psychology, so perhaps it's not exactly my thing...) And philosophy is on the blacklist of subjects.
    You do realise that everybody lives life with some form of philosophy and belief regarding how the world works?

Nah, have to admit, I don't know much about love. Again, one difficult thing for me to understand. Telling me about love is like recommending Chaucer to an illiterate child.
    Er... Learn?
    An illiterate child can be taught? Love is just a concept.

Well, if I was really greedy I could be after inheritance... I could find many reasons that don't involve caring. But it would just be dodging the truth. I would cry if someone from my family or friends died. But what would I actually mourn? Do I care for those persons or would I cry for the lost chances to laugh that this bitter reminder of my own blurry destiny the Grim Reaper stole from me?

And if my closest people wouldn't tell me such important thing and just died in silence, it would be a crystal clear signal to me that they don't want me in their vicinity. It would be a rejection.

But still, I do believe I care about them.
    Co-dependant behaviour in relationships aren't that odd. Possabilities include sense of loss or that they actually cared.

Here's a question.
    If you care about your family, does that mean you like them?
    What do you think is the difference between like and love?

You have a hidden assumption there. In the end, I owe everything I have to my parents, so the way I see it, I indeed am obligated to care to know about my family. At least I think that way.
    Hmm fair enough. From my perspective. I came into this world and was brought up by my family. Society tells me that I should be grateful, and I am indeed grateful however I question the idea why we are obligated to do things as told?

I had this discussion with my parents once. It wasn't pretty...

To love family out of obligation. Give money on a regular basis.
    To love family out of choice. Not give money on a regular basis.

But still, when you sum the serial killer features I apparently have and the answer: "I'm interested in my family and friends" the result isn't exactly an image of a charming and balanced human being...
    Meh.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be pretty good at English while we're here. Enjoy writing stories, describing emotions, songwriting (or poetry... similar)?

I don't know about some of the longer posts here, because I skipped them, but in answer to your original question, you don't really need to know what it feels like to be interested in something; when you find something you're interested in, you'll just keep doing it and probably trying to improve at it. Maybe spend a weekend just trying random things, as crazy as it sounds. Do some archery, read a sci-fi book, play a first-person shooter, learn a new language, learn a programming language, try and get laid, wear a flourescent pink hat and some union jack boxers and run up and down the street shouting, "God save the Queen!" See what happens.

But you do appear to be good at psychology, philosophy, making analogies and writing. Do you not enjoy them?

ReputationRep:
    They'd still be pickles in the same manner that I'd be considered as human. When you see a mother going into a supermarket picking out vegetables, why does she select particular ones? They're all the same right?

You could however argue that we're all just electrons and protons. Are you therefore the same as a packet of crisps?
    Of course the jars are not exact clones. But how different do they have to be from each other so that you can point out that they're different? Of course the mother doesn't buy rotten vegetables or damaged jars. She buys what she thinks is a good vegetable or jar. But if all the jars looked similar, she would probably think that they're not different even though they have minor differencies such as the positions of the pickles.

For example: I show you a jar of pickles and hide it. Then I show you a similar-looking jar again, do you think you would guess if it's the same jar I showed you before or not?
    It could be a different jar that doesn't look any different from the first one (notice the word different used in two different ways).

So far there are many differencies between my shape and the usual shape of a packet of crisps. So perhaps I'm not the same as a packet of crisps, but maybe built from the same "building materials".

You do realise that everybody lives life with some form of philosophy and belief regarding how the world works?
    Yes I do realise that everyone has their own way of viewing the world.

Er... Learn? An illiterate child can be taught? Love is just a concept.
    Well it's going to take really an awful amount of effort and time before the child reads Chaucer... The first thing I'm going to do tomorrow at school is finding the person who can teach me love. Concepts aren't born from nothing (except perhaps the concept of nothing). If I learned the concept of love, would I know how to love?

If you care about your family, does that mean you like them?What do you think is the difference between like and love?
    Not necessarily I guess. One might care about their family because of social obligations. Liking doesn't involve a strong need to care so much about the target of liking when love on the other hand creates an inborn urge to care about the target. It's not nice if someone I like gets hit by a truck, but if someone I'd love would get hit by a truck my reaction to the occassion would be stronger, right?

I question the idea why we are obligated to do things as told?
    I think it's sometimes even recommendable to differ from the usual path but if one wanders too far from the path, the consequences can be more than one can handle... Human being becomes something like Hitler or a packet of crips in a human body and is shut out from the system and the chances of returning are minimal because of general disapproval.

(Original post by DarkWhite)
    But you do appear to be good at psychology, philosophy, making analogies and writing. Do you not enjoy them?
    Well I don't any feel anything significant when I write or think. Is enjoying the same as satisfaction or being interested in something? When I solve a mathematical problem for example I'm pleased because I managed to win the battle between me and the problem. Is that enjoying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nices)
    Of course the jars are not exact clones. But how different do they have to be from each other so that you can point out that they're different? Of course the mother doesn't buy rotten vegetables or damaged jars. She buys what she thinks is a good vegetable or jar. But if all the jars looked similar, she would probably think that they're not different even though they have minor differencies such as the positions of the pickles.

For example: I show you a jar of pickles and hide it. Then I show you a similar-looking jar again, do you think you would guess if it's the same jar I showed you before or not?
    It could be a different jar that doesn't look any different from the first one (notice the word different used in two different ways).
    I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. However the truth and reality is that they are indeed different jars containing different pickles even if I'm not able to distingush it. How I see the world is not neccessary what's actually in the world and that's emphasised by the fact that everybody views the world in their own unique way.

Considering the complexity of the human mind - Many more variables than that of a jar. I'd be shocked if out of the population of 6 billion people we found even one clone. There are many similarities in the human population but that doesn't make us the same. If people aren't the same -> They must be different.

Yes I do realise that everyone has their own way of viewing the world.
    This was just to counter the idea of philosophy being on the blacklist. If you actively apply philosophy in your life, aren't you in essence using it and therefore it could be said that you are interested in it?

Similar to how you are interested in eatting, sleeping and being comfortable and will find methods on how to achieve that (Keeping friends because it'd be more trouble to not do so.)

Well it's going to take really an awful amount of effort and time before the child reads Chaucer... The first thing I'm going to do tomorrow at school is finding the person who can teach me love. Concepts aren't born from nothing (except perhaps the concept of nothing). If I learned the concept of love, would I know how to love?
    Understanding the concept won't neccessary make you love It can help you understand the other person from an intellectual point of view however.

Love~ there are many theories on the internet about why people love. It usually gets broken down into...

a) People have an interest in their self. (Self-love - This is true for you, right?)
    b) Caring about people brings reciprocated feelings.
    c) Other people caring about you makes you feel special. You mentioned that you disliked being rejected? Why?

You're going to get lots of different answers to as what love is.

Not necessarily I guess. One might care about their family because of social obligations.
    If people are doing things out of social obligation, I'd say they didn't really care about their family in the first place (They care only for social obligations). It makes no sense to be obliged to something you don't care about unless you were forced (who exactly is forcing you?)

People are free to do anything they want (they should accept that there will be consequences attached). The fact that people can suicide displays this.

Liking doesn't involve a strong need to care so much about the target of liking when love on the other hand creates an inborn urge to care about the target. It's not nice if someone I like gets hit by a truck, but if someone I'd love would get hit by a truck my reaction to the occassion would be stronger, right?
    To me. The difference between like and love is just intensity. So yeah, you are right.

Back to the original question posted. You already displayed that you do like things, and you do dislike somethings (with passion).

Like = Being interested.
    You've answered your own question?

Well I don't any feel anything significant when I write or think. Is enjoying the same as satisfaction or being interested in something? When I solve a mathematical problem for example I'm pleased because I managed to win the battle between me and the problem. Is that enjoying?
    I'd say Yes.
    Satisfaction derived = Positive emotions evoked = Enjoyment.
    Enjoyment = Somethig you'd like to experience again = Develops into an interest.

I'd just like to add that some people aren't very passionate about much. I know for myself that when it comes to emotions and things, I'm rather mellow as in "I don't mind", It's just the way I am.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. However the truth and reality is that they are indeed different jars containing different pickles even if I'm not able to distingush it. How I see the world is not neccessary what's actually in the world and that's emphasised by the fact that everybody views the world in their own unique way.

Considering the complexity of the human mind - Many more variables than that of a jar. I'd be shocked if out of the population of 6 billion people we found even one clone. There are many similarities in the human population but that doesn't make us the same. If people aren't the same -> They must be different.
    But roughly, I still think, people are almost the same. Jars that you cannot tell from each other.

This was just to counter the idea of philosophy being on the blacklist. If you actively apply philosophy in your life, aren't you in essence using it and therefore it could be said that you are interested in it?
    Philosophy is on the blacklist because I don't want to study it because I'm afraid I wouldn't find a job if I had only a philosophy degree (and there is a chance that I wouldn't be able to give society back the money it has invested in me). And perhaps I would get bored of it. But still, I guess I might be interested in philosophy, but I just don't feel I'm interested in it. Perhaps there really even isn't such feeling. Maybe it's was just a romantic idea that people would feel something but in reality we are like stoned rabbits humping each other just looking for pleasure and acceptance.

You mentioned that you disliked being rejected? Why?
    Well, I do still have at least some feelings. I guess that rejections mean that the people rejecting me don't want me in their life anymore. They undo the social attachments that keep me as a part of a community which means that I either have to find a new community or float outside alone. And I know that 'floating' is not a good thing for almost anyone and it definitely doesn't suit me. Rejections are disappointments: "What if I'm not wanted here?"

It makes no sense to be obliged to something you don't care about unless you were forced (who exactly is forcing you?)
    Not exactly who but what, the rules of a community.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nices)
    But roughly, I still think, people are almost the same. Jars that you cannot tell from each other.
    Matter of perspective I guess.

Philosophy is on the blacklist because I don't want to study it because I'm afraid I wouldn't find a job if I had only a philosophy degree (and there is a chance that I wouldn't be able to give society back the money it has invested in me). And perhaps I would get bored of it. But still, I guess I might be interested in philosophy, but I just don't feel I'm interested in it. Perhaps there really even isn't such feeling. Maybe it's was just a romantic idea that people would feel something but in reality we are like stoned rabbits humping each other just looking for pleasure and acceptance.

Well, I do still have at least some feelings. I guess that rejections mean that the people rejecting me don't want me in their life anymore. They undo the social attachments that keep me as a part of a community which means that I either have to find a new community or float outside alone. And I know that 'floating' is not a good thing for almost anyone and it definitely doesn't suit me. Rejections are disappointments: "What if I'm not wanted here?"

Not exactly who but what, the rules of a community.
    All I can say is happiness is usually the purpose behind most people's lives. I could ask loads of questions here but I don't know for what purpose and where it would lead to exactly.

a) Why such a negative impression on society? Stoned rabbits? Similarities? Why are they bad things.

b) The need for other people. The idea of being alone, is it such a terrifying/bad thing? Floating is usually seen as bad, but why? Why do people feel that way?

c) Is the only way to pay back society to give them money? Does money bring happiness to society?

d) The rules of community...
    If your family is no longer in the picture, who and what exactly is going to enforce these rules of the community? Is it yourself?But if it's just yourself Why would you enforce arbitary rules, that probably nobody except you and your family would have cared about? (But since family is no longer in the picture~)

There are plenty of 'social rules' which are pretty stupid. If it doesn't serve any benefit(pleasure) to your life, and the actions you make don't impinge on anybodies life. Are you just keeping them for tradition then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    Are you not interested in anything at all? Not interested in knowing how your family and friends are?

For me, having a interest is basically the same as wanting/longing to do or for something.
    I have no interest in anything. I exist because I have to.

ReputationRep:
    I think very few 17 yr old's are equipped to make the correct career decision. One of society's failings in my view.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Nices.

I thought I might chime in with a couple of questions...

If you had to spend some time with any body of your choice, who would you pick? If you could choose any location or activity to be doing with them, where or what would you choose?

Have you ever looked anything up on wikipedia?
    Have you ever read a book, and then picked out another that is by the same author or in a similar genre?

I'm just curious.

ReputationRep:
    Why such a negative impression on society? Stoned rabbits? Similarities? Why are they bad things.
    Well, my view of human beings might seem a bit... How could I say it... Clinical and harsh perhaps? Well, to relieve you from the thinking that I have a mass murderer's capabilities in understanding humanity, I do recognize such noble features in human beings as loyalty and friendship. Maybe I just emphasized the animal-side too much. Let's all blame Darwin for fracturing the idea of human beings as something almost divine and sacred compared to animals. I'm a monster born under his influence I guess.

The need for other people. The idea of being alone, is it such a terrifying/bad thing? Floating is usually seen as bad, but why? Why do people feel that way?
    Human beings are dependent on each other. I don't mean "Sex and the City-loneliness" and being dependent on having a relationship but a situation when other people around hardly even speak to you. For example think of a well-known and beloved priest living in a small town where everyone knows each other. Somehow the rumours start spreading around that he's a pedophile and even the police starts to suspect. When the rumours reach the climax his life will become almost unbearable. The looks he gets in the supermarket or the mothers dragging their children away from him on the streets... Even the postboy just looks at him with disgrace when he tries to say good morning.

Is the only way to pay back society to give them money? Does money bring happiness to society?
    It's easier to be happy when you have enough money for all the necessities like food and shelther. Well, and money is the easiest way to pay back. It's not easy for me to think of another suitable ways to pay back. Being nice and sympathic and a caring citizen and all that sort of crap isn't exactly my cup of tea.

The rules of community...
    If your family is no longer in the picture, who and what exactly is going to enforce these rules of the community? Is it yourself?But if it's just yourself Why would you enforce arbitary rules, that probably nobody except you and your family would have cared about? (But since family is no longer in the picture~)

There are plenty of 'social rules' which are pretty stupid. If it doesn't serve any benefit(pleasure) to your life, and the actions you make don't impinge on anybodies life. Are you just keeping them for tradition then?
    For someone who doesn't want to be alone accepting the rules of a community (whatever community may it be) is necessary.
    If one wants to make a change in a community, one has to convince the others. How far do you think Obama would have got if he had just shouted: "Hey you retards! Listen to this, we need a change because this whole thingy right here is ****in' mess! Yea, you heard me!" and then had scratched his bottom.

He couldn't have done that. One has to obey at least the main lines of a system when trying to change something inside the system. What would you think of a despot creating a democracy against the people's will?

(Original post by Vetinari)
    If you had to spend some time with any body of your choice, who would you pick? If you could choose any location or activity to be doing with them, where or what would you choose?

Have you ever looked anything up on wikipedia?
    Have you ever read a book, and then picked out another that is by the same author or in a similar genre?
    Hey Vetinari!

I would choose Nikolai Bukharin. And we would be in a warm café. But unfortunately I wouldn't be able to express all the things I would like to with my pathetic Russian. But still, I would get huge kicks out of sipping tea with a friend of Stalin's who he killed so ruthlessly.

Or perhaps bungee-jumping in Thailand with someone completely insane.

Well basically if I don't know something and want a quick definition for it, I check it up on Wikipedia (should I be ashamed of this xD...).

I usually don't even finish books so it's very unlike that I would read two books from the same author. The last time I read more than one book from the same author or genre was probably when I was something about 13 and interested in horror books. Lovecraft was my favourite and I also liked some of Clive Barker's works. Nowadays Barker is way too raw for me. No, actually, I did read both Voltaire's Zadig and Candide about a year ago...

ReputationRep:

Why with an insane person?

Bungee-jumping in Thailand with an insane person WOULD actually be pretty cool. But it would be cool for the very reason that I would find that experience to be interesting. So maybe there are things you find interesting, but you aren't really recognising it as interest.

Why do you sometimes need to know the definitions of things? I sometimes lose hours on wikipedia because I find a series of interesting articles and can't stop reading. Or I come across an interesting little gem of knowledge in some small stub of an article.

I read Candide last month. It was both awesome and interesting.

Often I find that the things I am most passionate about and most interested in are those that I find most infuriating - like your fury over shrinks. For me a good example is religion - I don't like it, but in not liking it I am curious as to why others do. About whether it has any redeeming factors. About whether it is inevitable.

I've met a lot of people who didn't seem to be interested in all that much, but that doesn't mean they aren't capable of being so. You just need to seek out the sort of things that you like doing, and do them more often!!

(Oh, and also: philosophy graduates do get jobs. If it's the subject for you then just go for it! Don't be held back by worries that you might not walk into a career. There will always be jobs for intelligent people and Philosophy is one way of showing you are one of them. )

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2008
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.