The Student Room Group

chemistry mnemonics

i'm trying to find a mnemonic for the priority list for naming organic compounds (Alevel) cause i always forget, and a mnemonic might help me remember. does anyone have any from school or would be willing to try to make one?

the order is:
carboxylic acids
nitriles
aldehydes
ketones
alcohols
alkenes
benzene
halogenoalkanes
alkanes
nitro

I've been trying for the past 10 minutes and i don't think it's my forte, like at all lol

bonus points if you have one for the alkene/alkane suffixes cause i always get meth- and eth- mixed up

meth-
eth-
prop-
but-
pent-
hex-

thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by cherryblossomed
i'm trying to find a mnemonic for the priority list for naming organic compounds (Alevel) cause i always forget, and a mnemonic might help me remember. does anyone have any from school or would be willing to try to make one?

the order is:
Carboxylic acids
nitriles
aldehydes
ketones
alcohols
alkenes
benzene
halogenoalkanes
alkanes

I've been trying for the past 10 minutes and i don't think it's my forte, like at all lol

bonus points if you have one for the alkene/alkane suffixes cause i always get meth- and eth- mixed up

meth-
eth-
prop-
but-
pent-
hex-

Hi!!
I’ve got one for the bonus
Monkeys - meth
Eat - eth
Peanut - prop
Butter - bute
As for the rest I just remember it with shapes. For example a pentagon has 5 sides so it’s 5 carbons.
I’ll let you know if I come up with anything for the reactivity one. But it might help to spot the functional groups in each and see if there are any patterns. For example aldehydes are before ketone because their functional group is the end/start whereas for ketones it’s at the middle? That might confuse you even more tbh 😅
I hope this kind of helped but I’ll let you know if I think of one!!
Original post by cherryblossomed

the order is:
carboxylic acids
nitriles
aldehydes
ketones
alcohols
alkenes
benzene
halogenoalkanes
alkanes
nitro

meth-
eth-
prop-
but-
pent-
hex-

Just made one up:

Can’t (carboxylic acids)
Nick (nitriles)
Any (aldehydes)
Kid’s (ketones)