The Student Room Group

Full-time working while on a student visa

I recently completed my MSc degree in the UK. My student visa expires in January 2023 and I will be soon eligible to apply for the graduate visa once the university confirms final results. I recently received a job offer based on the fact that I will be applying for the graduate visa.
From my understanding with a quick Google search, since my course is completed, I am legally allowed to work full-time (40 hours per week) in the UK , until the expiry date of my student visa. I would, in theory, have obtained my graduate visa before then.

However, my university made me extremely confused after their response on the matter. They said I am on vacation (and can therefore work full-time) only up until a meeting where the board of examiners confirms the results, but the period after the board meeting until the date they release our confirmed marks, I am apparently no longer on vacation and can only work part-time (20 hours per week). They said I cannot work full-time during this period. This makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Any thoughts on the matter?
Original post by cookiewookie202
I recently completed my MSc degree in the UK. My student visa expires in January 2023 and I will be soon eligible to apply for the graduate visa once the university confirms final results. I recently received a job offer based on the fact that I will be applying for the graduate visa.
From my understanding with a quick Google search, since my course is completed, I am legally allowed to work full-time (40 hours per week) in the UK , until the expiry date of my student visa. I would, in theory, have obtained my graduate visa before then.

However, my university made me extremely confused after their response on the matter. They said I am on vacation (and can therefore work full-time) only up until a meeting where the board of examiners confirms the results, but the period after the board meeting until the date they release our confirmed marks, I am apparently no longer on vacation and can only work part-time (20 hours per week). They said I cannot work full-time during this period. This makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Any thoughts on the matter?

No, I am afraid the 20 hrs per week still apply unless you have the docs to apply for graduate visa early. Once you've applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you'll usually get a decision within a couple of months. Meanwhile you can work 20 hrs per week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending