The Student Room Group

Is this implied racism or am I being unreasonable?

This was a question in a quiz, it was meant to be a fun event but I felt really offended, and 3 Mexican friends also felt offended.

Which dog breed was described in the media as a Mexican hooligan?

Answer is Chihuahua.

The word hooligan is used to describe a human, the origin of that word is also on a human. Of all the adjectives to use to describe a dog, could've said that dog is a violent Mexican dog, but that person decided to choose the word hooligan associated with a human, it felt like he was saying that dog is a Mexican violent/gangster person, drawing a comparison with a dog and Mexicans, implying he thinks Mexicans are dogs.

I have voiced my concern about this quiz question, I was told there is nothing wrong since the dog is Mexican and the wording described a dog. The person I voiced this to did not appreciate implied racism in my opinion, I mentioned this to 3 Mexicans and all of them noticed the implied racism.

Do you think I'm being unreasonable kicking up a fuss over a quiz question? Imagine a comparison was made between a certain animal and black people, I think many complaints would've been made. It felt like when I brought up this is implied racism it was downplayed and brushed aside.

Let me know your opinions.
assuming you're Mexican, your or other Mexican people's opinions are the only ones that matter. if you are a part of the offended demographic, it's your call. It sounds wrong to me, but i'm not Mexican so my judgement is not as relevant as a Mexican person's.
Reply 2
I'm not Mexican, I'm soon going to marry a Mexican and I have Mexican friends. No one Mexican was present at the quiz. The Mexican friends I told this to was done after the quiz event.

I was told this isn't racism, but feedback will be given to the quiz master. I know referring to something said in the media is not the same as saying I personally think, but in my opinion it felt racist and nobody should go bringing this up in a quiz.
(edited 1 year ago)
You are being unreasonable.
Quite a few mexican cartels involved in the extortion and luxury animal breeding worlds as well as illegal narcotics refer to the most dangerous of red alert dogs that they breed or keep as 'mexican hooligans'.
Nothing derogatory about it, they view the dogs with a lot of pride and sell them at premium prices.
oh well, there you go. context is key. i knew nothing about that history.
Reply 5
Original post by londonmyst
You are being unreasonable.
Quite a few mexican cartels involved in the extortion and luxury animal breeding worlds as well as illegal narcotics refer to the most dangerous of red alert dogs that they breed or keep as 'mexican hooligans'.
Nothing derogatory about it, they view the dogs with a lot of pride and sell them at premium prices.

You deliberately bring up about cartels in Mexico, making it sound like 'quite a few' Mexicans are criminals when in fact most are decent human beings who love animals. They do not keep dogs like commodities to sell, do not go calling them Mexican hooligans. I have spent some time living in Mexico and what you say does not mirror what I have seen. Feels like you're a closet racist in my opinion.
(edited 1 year ago)
I AM Mexican and to be honest you’re definitely overreacting. I appreciate you’re trying to help but people honestly need to stop getting offended on other peoples behalf.
Reply 7
Original post by AlexStricklin12
I AM Mexican and to be honest you’re definitely overreacting. I appreciate you’re trying to help but people honestly need to stop getting offended on other peoples behalf.

My partner who is Mexican, born and raised in Mexico, ended up crying and saying nothing when I mentioned this quiz question. Doesn't sound like all Mexicans agree with you, I don't think my partner cried because I overreacted, but cried for being indirectly labelled as a dog by the quiz and people acting like there's nothing wrong.
Original post by JenkaT24
You deliberately bring up about cartels in Mexico, making it sound like 'quite a few' Mexicans are criminals when in fact most are decent human beings who love animals. They do not keep dogs like commodities to sell, do not go calling them Mexican hooligans. I have spent some time living in Mexico and what you say does not mirror what I have seen. Feels like you're a closet racist in my opinion.

That is where the term for the aggressive dogs originates from- from the Mexican citizens in Mexico who work for the cartels that breed and sell them.
The reality is that there are many law abiding & criminal citizens of Mexico who are professional dog breeders and derive considerable income from selling their dogs.

By the way you might want to remember that Mexicans are a nationality, not a race.
Just as Australian and Ukrainian are nationalities.
Bye!
Reply 9
This was a question in a quiz, it was meant to be a fun event but I felt really offended, and 3 Mexican friends also felt offended.

Answer is Chihuahua.

The word hooligan is used to describe a human, the origin of that word is also on a human. Of all the adjectives to use to describe a dog, could've said that dog is a violent Mexican dog, but that person decided to choose the word hooligan associated with a human, it felt like he was saying that dog is a Mexican violent/gangster person, drawing a comparison with a dog and Mexicans, implying he thinks Mexicans are dogs.

I have voiced my concern about this quiz question, I was told there is nothing wrong since the dog is Mexican and the wording described a dog. The person I voiced this to did not appreciate implied racism in my opinion, I mentioned this to 3 Mexicans and all of them noticed the implied racism.

Do you think I'm being unreasonable kicking up a fuss over a quiz question? Imagine a comparison was made between a certain animal and black people, I think many complaints would've been made. It felt like when I brought up this is implied racism it was downplayed and brushed aside.

Have you read the story behind it? If not, here it is:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/cotswold-town-terrorised-by-two-chihuahuas-dubbed-mexican-hooligans-who-attacked/#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16659408497693&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fcotswold-town-terrorised-by-two-chihuahuas-dubbed-mexican-hooligans-who-attacked%2F

He said a Mexican breed of dog is a hooligan, not a dog is a Mexican hooligan. Subtle difference, and not racist. Anyway, hooligan is of Irish origin.

Answer is Chihuahua.

I'm confused - why are you making a fuss about a quiz question referring to the wording that was used by someone else entirely? There may have been implied racism in the original description, but that has nothing to do with the quiz. Quiz questions can be about all sorts of things which happened, some of which may have been racist, unpleasant, violent...

Forget the quizmaster, it has nothing to do with him. If you are offended by the wording, go complain to/about the person who used it, not someone who asked a quiz question about it being used. The name you need is in the article which someone else linked to.

Imagine a comparison was made between a certain animal and black people? Sure, I'll imagine it, in the context of a quiz. "Which prominent influencer was banned from Twitter this week for comparing a certain animal and black people?" That's IMO a perfectly reasonable quiz question which is not racist, even though the strong impression is that the prominent influencer was racist. (It also doesn't have an answer as far as I'm aware - I made it up.)
I think you would have to do a lot of mental gymnastics to spin this as an assault on Mexicans lmao. Also hooligan isn't necessarily 'human', it just means violent troublemaker, which most Chihuahas are lol. Even if it was related to humans, 'hooligan' is an Irish word and metaphors are a thing you know.
That being said, you can choose what you take offense to, but in my opinion there were no racial connotations there until you inserted them.
Maybe you should have a day off from being offended on behalf of others as it’s made you look like a clown.
This is a bit of stretch imo. It's well known that chihuahuas are seen as a loud, yappy dog breed, which is why the 'hooligan' term is relevant. And the fact that they're originally from Mexico is an extra bit of quiz trivia that I suppose most people wouldn't know.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest