The Student Room Group

UCAS choices: applying to 2 courses at the same uni?

I'm currently deciding on options for UCAS and need advice on if my options are unwise. I know it's not recommended to apply for 2 courses at the same uni but I'm not interested in moving away to England or Scotland (I live in Northern Ireland) For A Levels I do Spanish, biology and maths and my first choice for uni is to study Speech and Language therapy. here are my options so far:

1. Speech and Language Therapy - Ulster University
2. Language and Linguistics - Ulster University
3. French and Spanish - Queen's University Belfast
4. Spanish and Portuguese - Queen's University Belfast

Language and linguistics is somewhat similar and can lead into a speech therapy career so my only setback here would be that it's also at Ulster.
The reason why I'm looking and modern languages options at Queen's is because Spanish is the subject in most confident in, but I'm not sure if applying to 2 v similar courses at Queen's is counterproductive because of how it will affect the specificity of my personal statement.

I don't really have any other options for unis so any advice would really be appreciated. thank you!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by carbonaralover

1. Speech and Language Therapy - Ulster University
2. Language and Linguistics - Ulster University
3. French and Spanish - Queen's University Belfast
4. Spanish and Portuguese - Queen's University Belfast

Speech and Language Therapy is a vocational healthcare course - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/speech-and-language-therapist
The others are academic MFL / Language degrees.
You will not be able to write a convincing PS for those courses together and risk getting no offers at all.

Apply for Sppech and Language Therapy for all 5 choices with a totally focussed PS.
If you dont get an offer, then there will be plenty of MFL courses available in Extra or in Clearing.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by McGinger
Speech and Language Therapy is a vocational healthcare course - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/speech-and-language-therapist
The others are academic MFL / Language degrees.
You will not be able to write a convincing PS for those courses together and risk getting no offers at all.

Apply for Sppech and Language Therapy for all 5 choices with a totally focussed PS.
If you dont get an offer, then there will be plenty of MFL courses available in Extra or in Clearing.

thank you so much for the response:smile: even if I don't intend on accepting any other offers apart from Ulster because of my plan to stay in Ireland for uni, would you still recommend this path for my application?
Reply 3
we were told they don't even look at your personal statement for SLT. it's all down to interview and results. they will look at it if needs be though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending