Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of this word?

In English, there is no correct way to say the plural of YOU. You would just say "you" and that would be it. In French, they have the VOUS form and in Spanish they have the VOSOTROS/USTEDES form but in English there isn't anything like that.

Now I have heard some expressions such as "yous" (sounds like use) and even more informal things such as "you guys" to the East London "mandemz" which does not sound good. Then I hear "y'all" which doesn't sound too bad.

Look at other English words such as "I'm - I am, You're - You are, Don't - Do not, Can't - Cannot" and then think of "Y'all - You all" does it work? Would you use this word to refer to a group of people? If not, what do you use to refer to a group of people? What (do) Y'ALL think of the word y'all?

ReputationRep:
    why not just say you all?

ReputationRep:
    It's just annoying.
    "Hey y'alllllllllllllllllllllllllll'.
    Just plain no.

ReputationRep:
    Believe me I hear "mandemz" a lot where I live. That is ANNOYING. Why are asian kids trying to be jamaican?

Paul Chowdhry - "I met an asian the other day he said "I ain't seen you for time blud"

ReputationRep:
    erm...it's american?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really a fan, I prefer to just say 'you all'...

ReputationRep:
    It's very American.

ReputationRep:
    I overuse it hahahaha, and there's nothing y'all can do to stop me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big Kabz)
    In English, there is no correct way to say the plural of YOU. You would just say "you" and that would be it. In French, they have the VOUS form and in Spanish they have the VOSOTROS/USTEDES form but in English there isn't anything like that.
    Like any civilised person, I would say 'you all'.

ReputationRep:
    Just can say "you".

If there's a group of people singing - "What are you singing?"

If a group of people are laughing - "Why are you laughing?"

To emphasise the fact there are more people you could say "you lot", "you guys", "you people" etc...

Y'all just sounds awful - in my opinion.

Reminds me of the Woodland Christmas Critters from South Park, so it's (y')all good.

ReputationRep:
    What about everyone?
    Y'all suggests a Southern-American drawl with it.

ReputationRep:
    You've already explained why we don't need to do it- you is already plural. And people who use y'all often don't even get that right (I've heard the phrase "all y'all" a fair few times- why invent a word if you're going to override it anyway?)

If you really need to clarify, you could just say, "all of you".

You guys and mandemz are informal and colloquial, as is y'all. Anyway, if I need to address a large group of people, I just say, "Yo, *****es."

ReputationRep:
    Kinda annoying tbh.

ReputationRep:
    i hate it too

ReputationRep:
    I use it, but then apparently I speak like an American anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Given that I am a Yank, it should come as no surprise that I say it.

(Original post by Glutamic Acid)
    Reminds me of the Woodland Christmas Critters from South Park, so it's (y')all good.
    :laugh: It does actually.

Great episode.

ReputationRep:
    I accidentally say it sometimes.

I blame it on living about an hour away from Alabama.

ReputationRep:
    I say you all if i'm using proper English or yous or yuz like "what are yuz doing?" if good English isn't required.
    Y'all is stupid and sounds like a cowboy or something!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.