Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big Kabz)
    What do you think of this word?

In English, there is no correct way to say the plural of YOU. You would just say "you" and that would be it. In French, they have the VOUS form and in Spanish they have the VOSOTROS/USTEDES form but in English there isn't anything like that.

Now I have heard some expressions such as "yous" (sounds like use) and even more informal things such as "you guys" to the East London "mandemz" which does not sound good. Then I hear "y'all" which doesn't sound too bad.

Look at other English words such as "I'm - I am, You're - You are, Don't - Do not, Can't - Cannot" and then think of "Y'all - You all" does it work? Would you use this word to refer to a group of people? If not, what do you use to refer to a group of people? What (do) Y'ALL think of the word y'all?
    What the hell is a mandemz?

And y'all sounds kinda annoying, I can sort of see the logic in it but its no shorter than saying "you" ... I think everyone realises that you is both singular and plural so its not that big an issue.

ReputationRep:
    nope too American... I wouldn't say it.

ReputationRep:
    hate it!

ReputationRep:
    it's a bit hillbilly-ish.

me and my friends say "all you" or "you all" when the situation arises, as in "where are all you going?". But I don't know. Maybe that's a somerset thing :p:

ReputationRep:
    Y'all need to chill out

ReputationRep:
    I HATE the word "yous". Idk why but it just really grates me.
    Therefore, y'all is fine because they're saying it instead of "yous" D:

ReputationRep:
    I hate y'all.

(the word, not you guys )

I usually say you guys, or just you. My Irish friend says yous and I think that's quite nice.

But y'all is so American!

ReputationRep:
    In conversation I'd never say "y'all' but I may use it in text form occasionally, but never when talking..

ReputationRep:
    i use "y'all" when talking to a group of friends but never any other time. I think "y'all" is far better than "yous" (use)

ReputationRep:
    It's american.

ReputationRep:
    Don't use Y'all.
    It reminds me of when I say "How are ya?"

ReputationRep:
    I love it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I love the word y'all!

ReputationRep:
    Love it coz it reminds me of my Texan girlies =] x

ReputationRep:
    Nice one, girls.

ReputationRep:
    Y'all don't seem to like it very much?

ReputationRep:
    It reminds me of Napoleon Dynamite.

ReputationRep:
    Yo! Yous lot com with me.

ReputationRep:
    y'all have to use this word

ReputationRep:
    I hate the word in speech form but use it in text. Why y'all getting vexed for anyway?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.