The Student Room Group

£2000 Medical Summer School - Worth it?

I recently discovered an opportunity where I could be able to sign up for a summer school in medicine, however the initial price was £2500 (they say the price covers accommodations for a 5 day residential programme, 1 on 1 mentoring and virtual resources) .
It does offer 5 weeks of BMAT and UCAS mentoring + interview practice but I'm still a bit hesitant on the price tag. They advertise that 90% of their summer school attendees get an offer from medical schools and I'm wondering it's something for me.
I'm currently studying polish, physics, chemistry and maths at A-Levels, with very good results at GSCES (9 9/8s) and hope to get into a top university medicine course, like Oxford or Cambridge, so I'm wondering this programme will help me.
My family is financially stable to afford it, though we'd require to split it over a 12 month cost.
Any help/tips or advice appreciated!
(I'm kind of gatekeeping the name cause idk)
Reply 1
Original post by Kacper Z
I recently discovered an opportunity where I could be able to sign up for a summer school in medicine, however the initial price was £2500 (they say the price covers accommodations for a 5 day residential programme, 1 on 1 mentoring and virtual resources) .
It does offer 5 weeks of BMAT and UCAS mentoring + interview practice but I'm still a bit hesitant on the price tag. They advertise that 90% of their summer school attendees get an offer from medical schools and I'm wondering it's something for me.
I'm currently studying polish, physics, chemistry and maths at A-Levels, with very good results at GSCES (9 9/8s) and hope to get into a top university medicine course, like Oxford or Cambridge, so I'm wondering this programme will help me.
My family is financially stable to afford it, though we'd require to split it over a 12 month cost.

No. It really isn't. There are summer schools for medicine either for free or waaay cheaper. Also, it's not them that gets the students into med schools. It's the students who get themselves there. Also, remember that stat doesn't disclose students who didn't share their destination so in all honestly its bait advertisement.

Good luck with your application to Med school! Hope you all the best with it but don't fall for these petty advertisements.

It's that medic mentor program right? 😂 better off dropping the name so you can target those who have done it and ask them. IMO I don't see it as necessary and people have gotten into medicine w/o it but if you can afford the time and money without burning yourself and in desperate need of help then ig you can. Just saying, there are free resources out there.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3

Nusrat collated all the free resources she used into a free eBook: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1heXeEsae2gQGdLDA6YcqMNEG3I3I5tw-/view?usp=sharing
Original post by Blue_Bunny
It's that medic mentor program right? 😂 better off dropping the name so you can target those who have done it and ask them. IMO I don't see it as necessary and people have gotten into medicine w/o it but if you can afford the time and money without burning yourself and in desperate need of help then ig you can. Just saying, there are free resources out there.

£2000 also seems like a steep cost for something that is essentially an hour or so of interview prep, a repackaged version of Medify/whatever platform you use to revise BMAT/UCAT, and a 5 day residential.

Schools will often provide interview practice, or it can be obtained online for free through programs such as Zero Gravity. Admissions test prep can be done pretty independently and is a residential really required - you'd be doing things like extra-reading and research that you'd ideally be doing by yourself anyways?

Definitely avoid imo - especially since OP is suggesting that the cost would have to be spread over 12 months.

Worth pointing out here that the "90% of attendees getting offers" statistic likely has little/no direct link with their attendance at the summer school. You're already looking at motivated and usually wealthy candidates who have access to better resources/with more motivation to succeed, which is self-explanatory as to why they receive offers.
Reply 6
Thanks to everybody's response and for the resources provided! I'll reconsider my thoughts on the Medic Mentor programme!
Original post by BarnabyK
Worth pointing out here that the "90% of attendees getting offers" statistic likely has little/no direct link with their attendance at the summer school. You're already looking at motivated and usually wealthy candidates who have access to better resources/with more motivation to succeed, which is self-explanatory as to why they receive offers.

PRSOM
Reply 8
Thanks to everybody's response and for the resources provided! I'll reconsider my thoughts on the Medic Mentor programme!

I am currently on the program (but got it fully funded- WAMS) and I personally don't think it is worth the money because the UCAT tutoring wasn't that great as it was in big groups online and I ended up with a low score anyway. There are literally unis that offer 1-1 personal statement help (Lancaster), interview prep (St George's) and there are so many free resources online!

I also know other ppl on the course who did not do well in the ucat despite tutoring so I would save your money for uni instead
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending