The Student Room Group

changing univeristies

so i am currently first-year student at qmul, i wanna change courses and unis to outside, i asked admissions for the other uni they said to apply through ucas again for the first year but would i have to withdraw first, then apply? or can i apply whilst on the course?
See the first post in the University Transfer FAQ thread at the top of the applications, clearing and ucas forum
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
See the first post in the University Transfer FAQ thread at the top of the applications, clearing and ucas forum

i cant find it?
Original post by raniaaaaa
i cant find it?

Here ya go, University Transfer FAQ.

To answer your original question, for most courses (non-medicine and non-Oxbridge) you can stay enrolled at your current Uni whilst awaiting a decision if you wish. But you’ll potentially be incurring more debt the longer you stay there.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Here ya go, University Transfer FAQ.

To answer your original question, for most courses (non-medicine and non-Oxbridge) you can stay enrolled at your current Uni whilst awaiting a decision if you wish. But you’ll potentially be incurring more debt the longer you stay there.

Yeah that is what i heard, by when do i have to withdraw to not be in more debt

That depends on how your uni determines your liability for tuition fees, (as well as your accommodation contract). But essentially, the earlier the better.

To be in no debt at all - by 2 weeks following the official start date of the course (depending on the university fee payment policy).

If you withdraw between now and January then SFE will want you to repay a proportion of your first instalment of your maintenance loan immediately (unless you can demonstrate financial hardship) the 25% of your tuition fee will be added to your normal student loan repayment.

If you wait until your January instalment is paid then again if you withdraw between January and your May instalment then SFE will want any "overpaid" portion of that loan instalment to be repaid immediately and 50% of your annual tuition fee amount will be added to your normal student loan repayment.

Same applies if you leave after your May instalment but before the end of the academic year on 31 July. The final 50% of your tuition fee loan is paid if you attend in May.

In reality most students won't repay their loan - so the SIZE of your debt will not make any difference to the amount you'll repay....so if you want to stick out the year then it normally won't make any difference to your actual loan repayments.
Reply 7
so do u suggest i finish the year as already if i even withdraw now i would be 25% in debt? i might withdraw when i get my offer from the univerisites when i send my application in december, as i want to be sure and i want to view the unis in november which are outside of london for me.
so do u suggest i finish the year as already if i even withdraw now i would be 25% in debt? i might withdraw when i get my offer from the univerisites when i send my application in december, as i want to be sure and i want to view the unis in november which are outside of london for me.

If you’re not horribly miserable and think that you might pass the year (and get an early exit award so no gap on your cv) and don’t have an amazing job to go into instead - then finishing the year is normally a good plan.
Plus you keep an option open to stay at QMUL if you find you change your mind later on.
Reply 9
Thank Youuuu
(Original post by PQ)If you’re not horribly miserable and think that you might pass the year (and get an early exit award so no gap on your cv) and don’t have an amazing job to go into instead - then finishing the year is normally a good plan.
Plus you keep an option open to stay at QMUL if you find you change your mind later on.
Original post by PQ
If you’re not horribly miserable and think that you might pass the year (and get an early exit award so no gap on your cv) and don’t have an amazing job to go into instead - then finishing the year is normally a good plan.

also, would i be able to apply to ucas from the account i made at sixth form?
also, would i be able to apply to ucas from the account i made at sixth form?

Yes. Just log in and start a new application.

You need to think about who will provide your reference. Ideally this would be your tutor at QMUL. So setting up a meeting to talk to them about your concerns and plans to apply elsewhere to open up your options for next year and ask if they’ll provide a reference would be worthwhile
Original post by PQ

You need to think about who will provide your reference. Ideally this would be your tutor at QMUL. So setting up a meeting to talk to them about your concerns and plans to apply elsewhere to open up your options for next year and ask if they’ll provide a reference would be worthwhile

tbh i was thinking about my sixth form? because with the refrence from them i got into all my options or would it be better to just speak to qmul as it would show i got refrence from a high uni?
Original post by PQ

Hi, i had a question you might be able to help me with. if i were to apply on ucas and i got an offer for a uni, for eg sheffield said i can finish first year but i still would have to apply. would i be able to withdraw from the uni anytime just before year 2 starts, so for example if i were to withdraw from queen mary in august or something next year?

Quick Reply

Latest