Turn on thread page Beta

"Filmed with lash inserts and enhanced in post production" watch

If you don't know what I'm talking about, click here.

So basically, Rimmel are saying that their product is so utterly completely **** that they need to use fake eyelashes and computers to give the appearance that it works.

That shouldn't even be allowed, even with the disclaimer.

I call on the members of TSR to boycott Rimmel, because they fail.

ReputationRep:
    actually most mascara adverts do this...

i agree its wrong though. i want to see what its really going to look like!

ReputationRep:
    Every mascara advert I've seen says that, not just Rimmel

(Original post by button8)
    Every mascara advert I've seen says that, not just Rimmel
    Then every mascara company is ****, even if you don't consider how **** mascara is in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    Then every mascara company is ****, even if you don't consider how **** mascara is in the first place.
    why are you so bothered about mascara?!

ReputationRep:
    all mascara adverts do this

ReputationRep:
    i've noticed this too, its ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    :eek: Why do you hate mascara so much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    If you don't know what I'm talking about, click here.

So basically, Rimmel are saying that their product is so utterly completely **** that they need to use fake eyelashes and computers to give the appearance that it works.

That shouldn't even be allowed, even with the disclaimer.

I call on the members of TSR to boycott Rimmel, because they fail.
    Will do:wink2:

ReputationRep:
    I totally dont see the point of these adverts...I mean, what they're showing is basically an illusion and they're stating as much!!

Personally, I no longer take any notice of mascara adverts...just go on recommendations from other people.

ReputationRep:
    It's most companies that do this.

I don't see the point to it as it's basic false advertising and lying to the consumer...?

ReputationRep:
    eyelashes that massive look pretty grotesque imo
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    EVERY mascara advert uses inserts. Not sure I've seen one that said 'enhanced post production' though!

One of the great ironies of modern life. So hillarious.

It's like having an advert where someone says "This tastes great!" and then at the bottom it says "The actor was not eating our product, they were eating a much better one".

ReputationRep:
    Hair product adverts do this too- 'styled with hair extensions' etc.

ReputationRep:
    It's totally stupid...why bother?!

ReputationRep:
    I noticed this advert more than the others because I had to watch it over and over again on ITV catchup when I was watching X factor. Yeah, it's pretty stupid.

ReputationRep:
    :sad: And I thought cosmetics companies had morals.
    x

ReputationRep:
    the rimmel lip plump also says that its enhanced post production. they are just highlighting that the product doesnt work.
    ive just accepted that no matter how much i hope, a mascara is incapable of actually making ur eyelashes longer unless you stick something on the end of them.
    i dont think they should be allowed to do it because doesnt it really mean an advert can say whatever rubbish they like as long as they say in tiny letters at the bottom that they are lieing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.