The Student Room Group

Ragging

What is university ragging
Original post by Aubaid Ahmad

Could you give us a bit more context about where you have heard this term? :curious:

Are you familiar with the concept of "hazing" (predominantly in the US)? It's the same kind of thing. See here for more.
RAG societies and RAG week stands for Raise and Give - it’s fundraising for worthy causes. Usually local charities and organisations nominated to the student union.

Ragging normally happens in Asian countries, especially India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. Not sure if it also happens in the UK, US or Europe. But ragging is the harassment and abuse of new students or juniors by senior students in universities.
It’s not a thing here.
Original post by Son of the Sea
It’s not a thing here.

Thank god!
Looked it up. Ragging somebody sounds like a good way to get your nose broken.
I have seen plenty of universities doing the charity week. They may not call it ragging anymore as it may have unfortunate other connotations but unofficially it may still be called rag week. (But I never heard it called ragging)
Original post by Catherine1973
I have seen plenty of universities doing the charity week. They may not call it ragging anymore as it may have unfortunate other connotations but unofficially it may still be called rag week. (But I never heard it called ragging)

Actually, rag week is not the same as ragging.
Original post by NazifaNawer
Actually, rag week is not the same as ragging.

Hence the importance of post #2 asking the OP to clarify the context
Original post by PQ
Hence the importance of post #2 asking the OP to clarify the context

I think OP is an Asian and probably didn't know much about ragging. And perhaps he asked what it meant without knowing that ragging doesn't exist in the UK.

Quick Reply