Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I am thinking about being an astrophysicist or similar (something with physics and space in it), as that is what I am really interested in. However I am a bit worried about choosing my A-Levels, as I just found out that our applications to sixth form have to be in in 3 weeks!

I am sure that I want to do Maths, Physics and Chemistry. For my fourth, do you think further maths would be a good choice? I was talking to a friend and he thought it might be being a little closed in my choices, but hey, in my opinion further maths is the only other a-level that i think would be useful for me.

So a bit about me... I am in Year 11 and my GCSE targets are all A*s apart from business studies, which is an A :p:. Think I should be able to achieve most of those, hoping to get all As (maybe a B or two). Now what I am scared about is that choosing further maths along with chemistry and physics is gonna be way to hard for me? Or will I be able to handle it? I also found out that the sixth form colleges recommend you to drop a subject so you only get an AS level on it for the second year, along with your other 3 a-levels, which I never knew about. I guess I will decide whether to do that or not after I have done the courses for a year? Any of you guys done similar to me and managed 4 A-Levels? All this stuff is new to me and pretty confusing .

Thanks for any help!

ReputationRep:
    Futher Maths will be a good choice, many people in my school (an ordinary grammar school) do 5A-levels and achieve 5As, excluding GS and CriticalThinking. So surely you can achieve if you work hard for it
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    You do tend to drop an AS at the end of Year 12; however, you don't have to! Don't think about that yet, you're only in Year 11. Just focus on choosing your subjects for the moment. With regards to taking Maths and Further Maths, I guess it depends how much you enjoy Maths. If you love it and you're great at it then go for it, I don't see why you shouldn't do it. Plus, you can always drop it if you find that the work load is too much. A friend of mine does Maths and FM and he really does seem to spend a lot of his time doing Maths, but I guess it could be worth it?

ReputationRep:
    your gcse targets are all A*s apart from business studies LOL.

future maths is demanding but very rewarding as it counts as 2 a-levels but i dont know, i think regardless of what you do with your abilitiy you will easily become a astrophysicist, future maths would look very good if your not feeling up for it you could always do biology that will help you to, personally i would pick biology cos its intresting and adds variety.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely. I think you've got the perfect combination. You are obviously a quite capable student, and although Further Maths is generally considered to be the most challenging A-level, it will reap its rewards when you apply for universities. Oh, and you'll get A* in Business Studies (I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago).

Quite a few people are doing this combination in my school, along with an extra AS level, so provided you are willing to put in the time and effort during the next two years, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    but getting an A * in your business studies gcse is far more important than any a level.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by goats)
    but getting an A * in your business studies gcse is far more important than any a level.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wow your 6th form closes late.

I had to get mine in end of october and my interview is on monday :eek:

anyway - yes it is a good choice and enables you to anything sciency/mathematical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liliahh)
    (an ordinary grammar school)
    Aren't "ordinary" and "grammar school" by definition contradictory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piece_by_piece)
    :rolleyes:
    well its gcse in business studies is vital for business degrees such as sucking alan sugar's balls.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for all the replies! This has put my mind at rest :p:!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    Aren't "ordinary" and "grammar school" by definition contradictory?
    There are amazingly outstanding grammar schools where everybody are qualified to apply to oxbridge, and there are also 'ordinary' schools where only 5-10 students apply.
    On top of that, since there is a type of school called 'Independent School', grammar schools can be no more than ordinary no offence to independent school tho

ReputationRep:
    in short - YES!
    It is a fantastic choice and there is no way you will regret it.... and once you have chosen it you will not want to drop it after y12

it is great fun, especially if you have a good class and fun teachers! and you form a really tight group as you have a lot of lessons with the same people, which is good
    yes, it is quite challenging at first, but once you get going it is great - the best choice i made by far, because - like you - i was quite undecided about it.

ReputationRep:
    for anything physics related at top ranked unis further maths is practically essential/very very very useful.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find further maths very helpful, but at my school quite a few people took it, then dropped it after a few weeks, as they couldn't handle the workload.
    if you decide not to take it, you could consider doing a language as your fourth AS as they are always helpful, especially german i find, in technical subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Do it, it's the best subject ever

:love:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah, I'd really recommend it. It is a hard course I've heard, but physics at uni is very mathematical.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.