The Student Room Group

Scared I may get fired from my Job

On Saturday, I got a letter from my manager saying I have a disciplinary meeting due to non-pick time and my lunch breaks being too long. I work 2 days at Tesco and due to this, I'm now scared I may get fired from my job due to this.
They can’t fire you after just one advertisement, but it should not be taken lightly either. What do you mean by non-pick times? If your picking rate for preparing orders is lower than the average rate why is this? Are you not familiar enough with the store layout? If you only do 2 days a week do they change things in between times and maybe arriving 15 minutes before your for shift and walking round the aisles to get a feel for the changes would be beneficial, or do you just walk slowly from one product to the next whilst your colleagues run?
As for your breaks, if they really are too long then that’s easy to correct.
Go to the meeting and listen to what they have to say without interrupting. If you agree with what they are saying ( you’ll know deep down if they are telling the truth and you haven’t been pulling your weight) then apologise and tell them what you will do to improve. If however, you think they are being unfair, then state your case politely. If you are aggressive they’ll just wait for the next opportunity to call you in and your job really will be on the line. They’ll have no trouble replacing you so best to eat humble pie.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
They can’t fire you after just one advertisement, but it should not be taken lightly either. What do you mean by non-pick times? If your picking rate for preparing orders is lower than the average rate why is this? Are you not familiar enough with the store layout? If you only do 2 days a week do they change things in between times and maybe arriving 15 minutes before your for shift and walking round the aisles to get a feel for the changes would be beneficial, or do you just walk slowly from one product to the next whilst your colleagues run?
As for your breaks, if they really are too long then that’s easy to correct.
Go to the meeting and listen to what they have to say without interrupting. If you agree with what they are saying ( you’ll know deep down if they are telling the truth and you haven’t been pulling your weight) then apologise and tell them what you will do to improve. If however, you think they are being unfair, then state your case politely. If you are aggressive they’ll just wait for the next opportunity to call you in and your job really will be on the line. They’ll have no trouble replacing you so best to eat humble pie.

For my non-pick times, I go and use the toilet and as of recently, I've been ill. Before they gave me a letter, I had a lets talk to which they said my non-pick time was 8 mins, when I only went to use the toilet came back downstairs and continued my job. My pick rate is always high.
LP

Original post by mylifeasci
On Saturday, I got a letter from my manager saying I have a disciplinary meeting due to non-pick time and my lunch breaks being too long. I work 2 days at Tesco and due to this, I'm now scared I may get fired from my job due to this.

Don't worry about things with your disciplinary meeting about non picking time's of orders for home delivery in Tesco😅 go to the meeting thinking positive and listen to what they say you as all that they will do is tell you that you must improve your pick up rates...... You can ask about transferring over to the shop floor side filling up shelves etc as you'll probably find it more relaxing although you can still be busy.

You'll only be told to improve the amount of item's you have to pick within the time they allow you to collect the order's, everything on your handheld device should be in order of the store so you can pick them up as you going round as it saves time back treading on anything. Obviously the device is all timed as they can track your process of customer orders for the awaiting drivers.

I would suggest that you talk with your union representative if in the union whether there's one available in the store itself or you having to phone the union office for to talk to someone.

Have you got any justify reasons why you not meeting your picking time's for orders ( example - medical reasons for not able to walk around fast like other staff members) as you can use this as a valid reason, if you can do the current online order position then do continue with it as otherwise you can perhaps ask for a job position within the store shop floor filling up shelves etc which is less stressful than doing the online ordering within time limits.

A team leader and stand in supervisor with Tesco ( unfortunately it's the best I can advise you on )

Why should they have an issue for when you use the toilets and if you have been ill so tell them say you don’t want to pass or spread anything onwards especially on the shop-floor which would impose a risk to your fellow colleagues and customers at the same time break management is ultimately down to you, you should monitor when you go up and down and as of when your break starts if you take long ultimately you are breaking the policy of taking breaks and you know it.
Reply 5
Original post by Tracey_W
LP

Don't worry about things with your disciplinary meeting about non picking time's of orders for home delivery in Tesco😅 go to the meeting thinking positive and listen to what they say you as all that they will do is tell you that you must improve your pick up rates...... You can ask about transferring over to the shop floor side filling up shelves etc as you'll probably find it more relaxing although you can still be busy.

You'll only be told to improve the amount of item's you have to pick within the time they allow you to collect the order's, everything on your handheld device should be in order of the store so you can pick them up as you going round as it saves time back treading on anything. Obviously the device is all timed as they can track your process of customer orders for the awaiting drivers.

I would suggest that you talk with your union representative if in the union whether there's one available in the store itself or you having to phone the union office for to talk to someone.

Have you got any justify reasons why you not meeting your picking time's for orders ( example - medical reasons for not able to walk around fast like other staff members) as you can use this as a valid reason, if you can do the current online order position then do continue with it as otherwise you can perhaps ask for a job position within the store shop floor filling up shelves etc which is less stressful than doing the online ordering within time limits.

A team leader and stand in supervisor with Tesco ( unfortunately it's the best I can advise you on )

I’m normally a fast picker and I haven’t been having any problems about this, it’s only recently that I’ve fell ill which caused my pick rate to fall. I got a let’s talk about my non pick times and it’s was 8 mins.
Reply 6
I’m normally a fast picker and I haven’t been having any problems about this, it’s only recently that I’ve fell ill which caused my pick rate to fall. I got a let’s talk about my non pick times and it’s was 8 mins.

Thank you for the advice

Hi
So you were doing quite well prior to getting ill which looks like affected your ability to pick the items within there time that they set out..... So you can perhaps say at your meeting with management it's down to your recent illness as otherwise you wouldn't be having this meeting. They should see that you are a very good worker if they check back your time's you were doing things in.

If you having a issue regarding toilet problem that you need to go more regular than normal then get a medical note from your GP stating that you may need to go to the toilet more often because of your recent illness....

Suggest that you will improve things but you didn't want to be pushed to fast until you are 100% over your recent illness because it's still sort of affecting your work rate. Hopefully they will accept this but you'll be under review perhaps to see how you doing over say the coming weeks.

Always put your health first no matter what management say.
I had a disciplinary meeting when I worked at Tesco and it was basically me travelling to another store and having a meeting with that store's manager, explaining my side of the story and them countering that. From what you've said, it's very unlikely you'll get fired if your work ethic is generally so good and this is your first disciplinary.

Quick Reply