The Student Room Group

what unis could i get into for law on A*AA realistically. applying 2023

I am predicted A*AA, I have some work experience in a law firm but do have mixed GCSE results from 9-4. I'm just stuck on what is a realistic option for the application. E.g.

1. bristol, manchester
2. Warwick, Edinburgh
3. kings/UCL
what would be a realistic choice for me to get into. amongst those 3 relative bands. or potentially lower

*sidenote how much weight will workexperience at a law/accountrancy place hold for application.

and should i put this on the appliying forum instead.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JAD1234
I am predicted A*AA, I have some work experience in a law firm but do have mixed GCSE results from 9-4. I'm just stuck on what is a realistic option for the application. E.g.

1. bristol, manchester
2. Warwick, Edinburgh
3. kings/UCL
what would be a realistic choice for me to get into. amongst those 3 relative bands. or potentially lower

*sidenote how much weight will workexperience at a law/accountrancy place hold for application.

and should i put this on the appliying forum instead.

Your options could be:

Cambridge, Manchester, Southampton, York and Leeds. If you are planning on applying for 2023, then swap Cambridge for UCL.

You should definitely add your work experience and other super-curricular on your application.
Reply 2
thanks,
but i am skeptical about ucl as i imagine they must be saturated with applicants
Original post by Wired_1800
Your options could be:

Cambridge, Manchester, Southampton, York and Leeds. If you are planning on applying for 2023, then swap Cambridge for UCL.

You should definitely add your work experience and other super-curricular on your application.
Original post by JAD1234
thanks,
but i am skeptical about ucl as i imagine they must be saturated with applicants

They would be but you have to try.
Law is very competitive, especially at the universities you wish to apply to. You are up against students with three or more predicted A*s at A-levels and 9s/8s at GCSE.

Your stats are pretty decent but not competitive enough for the universities you've chosen. I think you have somewhat of a shot at Edinburgh and Manchester. Have a look at York, Cardiff, Newcastle, Sheffield, Liverpool, Southampton and Birmingham. You'd have a shot at these universities, which are very good law schools.

Reading, Sussex, Leicester and Lancaster are also good non-RG universities if you want to play it safe for a 5th option.

Don't be so hung up on the name of the universities - there's more to that when applying for jobs.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
thanks for the reply.
would a more realistic application list look like.

warwick
manchester
bristol
birmingham
edinbourgh
with one changed out for a safety school.
Original post by TheLawStudenttt
Law is very competitive, especially at the universities you wish to apply to. You are up against students with three or more predicted A*s at A-levels and 9s/8s at GCSE.

Your stats are pretty decent but not competitive enough for the universities you've chosen. I think you have somewhat of a shot at Edinburgh and Manchester. Have a look at York, Cardiff, Newcastle, Sheffield, Liverpool, Southampton and Birmingham. You'd have a shot at these universities, which are very good law schools.

Reading, Sussex, Leicester and Lancaster are also good non-RG universities if you want to play it safe for a 5th option.

Don't be so hung up on the name of the universities - there's more to that when applying for jobs.
Original post by JAD1234
thanks for the reply.
would a more realistic application list look like.

warwick
manchester
bristol
birmingham
edinbourgh
with one changed out for a safety school.

I think you have a shot. Remember its not about getting offers from every single one. Good luck!
Original post by JAD1234
I am predicted A*AA, I have some work experience in a firm but do have mixed GCSE results from 9-4. I'm just stuck on what is a realistic option for history. and i was wondering wether it would be better for me to just apply to law instead.

What gives you the impression that A*AA might not be a realistic set of predicted grades for a History degree? Even Cambridge (which tends to be quite demanding!) say here that for History BA: "Typical A level offer A*AA" with "A level History normally required."

Assuming that one of your A levels is History, and that your lower GCSE grades aren't in relevant subjects (a 4 in English Language wouldn't do you any favours), then this A level and GCSE grade profile gives you a realistic change of offers pretty much anywhere.

Where were you thinking of applying?
Original post by JAD1234
I am predicted A*AA, I have some work experience in a firm but do have mixed GCSE results from 9-4. I'm just stuck on what is a realistic option for history. and i was wondering wether it would be better for me to just apply to law instead.

https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/history/historyexe/

Exeter AAA
Original post by JAD1234

Learn to spell history first. All of them are possible with your predictions.
Reply 11
lol

Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Learn to spell history first. All of them are possible with your predictions.
Reply 12
i got
eng 9,8
rt 8
history 8
geog 7
the rest werernt great

i was thinking of applying
kings,warwick,manchester. possibly ucl and a back up.
im also stuck between wether i should do law instead.
Original post by DataVenia
What gives you the impression that A*AA might not be a realistic set of predicted grades for a History degree? Even Cambridge (which tends to be quite demanding!) say here that for History BA: "Typical A level offer A*AA" with "A level History normally required."

Assuming that one of your A levels is History, and that your lower GCSE grades aren't in relevant subjects (a 4 in English Language wouldn't do you any favours), then this A level and GCSE grade profile gives you a realistic change of offers pretty much anywhere.

Where were you thinking of applying?
Reply 13
thanks, however i do believe durham would be a bit out of range
Original post by JAD1234
i got
eng 9,8
rt 8
history 8
geog 7
the rest werernt great

i was thinking of applying
kings,warwick,manchester. possibly ucl and a back up.
im also stuck between wether i should do law instead.

Then I stand by what I wrote earlier. You can apply to all of those.

Only apply for Law if you want to do Law - not because you think you might have a better chance of getting in.
Reply 15
1. Birmingham/ liverpool.
2. bristol, manchester
3. Warwick, Edinburgh
4. aspirational: kings/UCL
what would be a realistic choice for me to get into. amongst those 4 relative bands. or potentially others
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by JAD1234
1. safety: Birmingham/ liverpool.
2. bristol, manchester
3. Warwick, Edinburgh
4. asperatinal: kings/UCL
what would be a realistic choice for me to get into. amongst those 4 relative bands. or potentially others

1. Work experience is irrelevant - per se, it plays no part in enhancing your application.
2. (4) worries me.
3. Birmingham is clearly not a 'safety' choice, given the standard offer for M100 is A*AA, which is your prediction. Liverpool, at AAA, is also hardly 'safety'.

...and so on.

I think you need to go through these universities you've mentioned, research their standard offer and then compare that to your prediction and try to sort some order out - the usual advice would be one 'aspirational' choice, two or three at your prediction, and one or two lower than your prediction.
Consider Lancaster Uni.
Reply 18
Original post by Reality Check
1. Work experience is irrelevant - per se, it plays no part in enhancing your application.
2. (4) worries me.
3. Birmingham is clearly not a 'safety' choice, given the standard offer for M100 is A*AA, which is your prediction. Liverpool, at AAA, is also hardly 'safety'.

...and so on.

I think you need to go through these universities you've mentioned, research their standard offer and then compare that to your prediction and try to sort some order out - the usual advice would be one 'aspirational' choice, two or three at your prediction, and one or two lower than your prediction.

1. my 4 was in physics which is pretty bad but the more relevant gcse such as english were at 9/8s
2. i know there not safetys i was just trying to categorise them with what came to mind obviosuly they would be very good.
3. in regards to looking at standard offers i did some reaserch but part of the reason i ask on TSR is according to the sites i was using a*aa would put me in good standing to get an offer from these unis and i meet the minimum requirment. i just didnt really trust them to be accurate so i thought i could get more of down to earth explanation of what is realistic. (i used sites like unifrog).
4. it is a bit of a bummer if work experience has no use.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 19
that could be a good option
Original post by SpiderCrab
Consider Lancaster Uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending