Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any tips/advice which helped them make friends at uni? I'm quite a quiet person so would appreciate it!:o:

ReputationRep:
    TALK TO PEOPLE!!!!
    Join societies, get to know your flatmates, talk to your coursemates, just don't stay in your room alone and you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Give it time, don't worry if you are still looking for good friends after a few months - they will emerge eventually!
    I recommend societies of all kinds, they are a great way to meet people who share your tastes and interests, and you always have something in common to talk about, which helps you start conversations.
    I also made it a rule in my first term never to refuse an invitation to anything, no matter how awful it sounded. If you say "no" to things you don't get asked again. I went to some places and events that were certainly not my kind of thing, but it did help me to meet people and start friendships.

Shower regularly, no one wants to be friends with the smelly kid.

ReputationRep:
    Gentle licking.

ReputationRep:
    Eat satsumas, potential friends like that.

ReputationRep:
    I've found that meeting people 1 on 1/2 is good. It's easier to fall onto the side when chatting in a group, especially if your quiet.

Sometimes conversations might seem a little pointless, but it's not always about the exchange interesting information. Just a way of establishing connection (hence clubbing etc). Societies are good because you get to bump into these people again weekly. You'll probably have a many one-off conversations with people that you can click with, only problem is that you won't see them again.

You'll be fine as long as you don't suffer some form of social anxiety etc.

ReputationRep:
    Be open minded - talk to everyone, not just a select few. On first meetings some people might not come across too well or you might think "ooh theyre not my kind of person", but give everyone a chance

Be happy/smiley/chatty, engage conversation and try to keep it flowing even if you think its a bit awkward or going nowhere.

Invite people out and try to include everyone. If theres someone in your hall that seems a bit quiet then try to get them involved. It will please them and it will show people how friendly you are.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be like me and you'll be just fine.

ReputationRep:
    I have broken down my fool-proof method into a number of steps:

1) Buy large sack, a length of rope and perhaps handcuffs
    2) Hide in the bushes with said sack, leaving the rope and other various restraints at home. They come in to this later, don't worry!
    3) When you hear someone coming, make sure they are alone, and then pounce! Sack over head, kick to the face in order to make them stop squirming
    4) When they finally wake up, make sure they are tied up.
    5) The most important step, commence conversation!

ReputationRep:
    Get to know your flatmates Sometimes just leave things when they do something that pisses you off, it's not worth causing grief over something minor on a grand scale.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, this sounds really useful, bar 1 or 2 replies :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9ruby)
    :hmmm:

ReputationRep:

Originally Posted by k9ruby
    Sorry but...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH123)
    I have broken down my fool-proof method into a number of steps:

1) Buy large sack, a length of rope and perhaps handcuffs
    2) Hide in the bushes with said sack, leaving the rope and other various restraints at home. They come in to this later, don't worry!
    3) When you hear someone coming, make sure they are alone, and then pounce! Sack over head, kick to the face in order to make them stop squirming
    4) When they finally wake up, make sure they are tied up.
    5) The most important step, commence conversation!
    I approve this method.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    I've found that meeting people 1 on 1/2 is good.
    I'm sorry this is probably one of the not helpful replies you mentioned but I liked this top half or bottom half?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleSko)
    I'm sorry this is probably one of the not helpful replies you mentioned but I liked this top half or bottom half?
    Oh dear... :o:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.