The Student Room Group

psychology alevel essay help please (AQA)

hi, I am in yr12 and I have a psychology test tomorrow on memory.

I have memorised my evaluation points for the 16 marker, however, I don't understand how to develop my points.

what I mean is, my teacher told me that I should have 3 points. 2 can be positive, 1 can be negative (vice versa).

however, my teacher also told me that you can develop points by having a 'conversely section'.

for example, if I have written a positive point on the multi store model, then I should also develop that point by adding a mini negative point.

so if I used KF as an example to support the multi store model, I would have a really short negative point on KF, also saying how this piece of evidence may not be reliable as KF had an accident and was injured and so therefore this evidence cannot be generalised.

how do I find the additional + or - points?

im trying really hard to make sense here
Original post by harlz_chalamet

I have memorised my evaluation points for the 16 marker, however, I don't understand how to develop my points.

what I mean is, my teacher told me that I should have 3 points. 2 can be positive, 1 can be negative (vice versa).

however, my teacher also told me that you can develop points by having a 'conversely section'.

for example, if I have written a positive point on the multi store model, then I should also develop that point by adding a mini negative point.

so if I used KF as an example to support the multi store model, I would have a really short negative point on KF, also saying how this piece of evidence may not be reliable as KF had an accident and was injured and so therefore this evidence cannot be generalised.

I structure my eval points like this

P: A strength of the MSM model is that there is supporting research from real life case studies such as HM, whose STM and LTM memory stores had been affected in different ways due to damage to the hippocampus.
E: The case of HM supports the MSM model as he was involved in an accident, and as a result he lost his ability to form short term memories but was still able to retrieve his long-term memories from before the accident. This provides scientific credibility as it is empirical evidence, which suggests that the stores of STM and LTM function separately, which supports the central prediction of the MSM.
C: On the other hand, the use of case studies is an idiographic approach to studying human behaviour, which means it is unique research thus it cannot be generalised to all individuals within society, therefore limiting the reliability of a case study to support the MSM. In addition, the MSM is reductionist as the LTM can be further divided into episodic, semantic and procedural memory. (elaborate more)
E: However, the MSM has further supporting research from Baddeley's research on STM and LTM. (explain it, then say WHY it's supporting research e.g., validity/reliability etc)

I hope this structure helps, just remember PECE (point, evidence, counterpoint, elaboration)
The elaboration can be a strength like i have done, or it can be a limitation just to build on your counter point if that makes sense?? But i prefer 'strength, explain, mini-limitation as a counter, another strength)
Also, with your first initial points make sure they're not vague such as 'a strength is that it has supporting research.' as that can be placed in any eval point, make sure it relates to the question (:

generally when teachers talk about it being conversational, they mean adding to the point.
for example, KF could be used as a strength but to counter this, you could use an issue or debate e.g. its a case study --> difficult to generalise.

the additional points can be about the methodology of the study, any issues or debate (i.e. socially sensitive, reductionist) or advocating another model/theory e.g. working memory model.

hope this helps lol
Original post by ultimatequeen
I structure my eval points like this

P: A strength of the MSM model is that there is supporting research from real life case studies such as HM, whose STM and LTM memory stores had been affected in different ways due to damage to the hippocampus.
E: The case of HM supports the MSM model as he was involved in an accident, and as a result he lost his ability to form short term memories but was still able to retrieve his long-term memories from before the accident. This provides scientific credibility as it is empirical evidence, which suggests that the stores of STM and LTM function separately, which supports the central prediction of the MSM.
C: On the other hand, the use of case studies is an idiographic approach to studying human behaviour, which means it is unique research thus it cannot be generalised to all individuals within society, therefore limiting the reliability of a case study to support the MSM. In addition, the MSM is reductionist as the LTM can be further divided into episodic, semantic and procedural memory. (elaborate more)
E: However, the MSM has further supporting research from Baddeley's research on STM and LTM. (explain it, then say WHY it's supporting research e.g., validity/reliability etc)

I hope this structure helps, just remember PECE (point, evidence, counterpoint, elaboration)
The elaboration can be a strength like i have done, or it can be a limitation just to build on your counter point if that makes sense?? But i prefer 'strength, explain, mini-limitation as a counter, another strength)
Also, with your first initial points make sure they're not vague such as 'a strength is that it has supporting research.' as that can be placed in any eval point, make sure it relates to the question (:

hey, that makes a lot more sense thank you!
I actually haven't learnt about idiographic approaches - I'm in yr12.
I think my main issue is the counterpoint. I have the AQA psychology text book but the evaluations don't seem to have the mini counterpoints and I have no idea how to find them.
I also feel that because I am in yr12, I lack the knowledge to be able to make up my own counterpoint (like you made up the idiographic one).
I am only aware of ethical issues and artificial stimuli but that's about it.
I don't think ethical issues will come in use for Memory.
I think having some counterpoints will be great for my test tomorrow (I have a 16 marker on forgetting - interference and retrieval failure)
where can I find some useful counterpoints for my evaluation points? :smile:
Original post by sanaria213
generally when teachers talk about it being conversational, they mean adding to the point.
for example, KF could be used as a strength but to counter this, you could use an issue or debate e.g. its a case study --> difficult to generalise.

the additional points can be about the methodology of the study, any issues or debate (i.e. socially sensitive, reductionist) or advocating another model/theory e.g. working memory model.

hope this helps lol

where can I find other points like that?
like I said in the other post, I am in yr12 and I haven't been taught about those 'counterpoints' but my teacher tells me to include them??
I have an AQA psychology book but the evaluation points in there don't seem to include any counter points.
my 16 marker tomorrow is on forgetting (interference and retrieval failure)

thanks so much :smile:
where can I find other points like that?
like I said in the other post, I am in yr12 and I haven't been taught about those 'counterpoints' but my teacher tells me to include them??
I have an AQA psychology book but the evaluation points in there don't seem to include any counter points.
my 16 marker tomorrow is on forgetting (interference and retrieval failure)

thanks so much :smile:

a few websites/ youtuber videos have good info:
tutor2u, simply psychology (https://www.simplypsychology.org/a-level-debates.html), psych boost (https://youtu.be/qI2JPXrP8mo).
you could also look elsewhere on google
hey, that makes a lot more sense thank you!
I actually haven't learnt about idiographic approaches - I'm in yr12.
I think my main issue is the counterpoint. I have the AQA psychology text book but the evaluations don't seem to have the mini counterpoints and I have no idea how to find them.
I also feel that because I am in yr12, I lack the knowledge to be able to make up my own counterpoint (like you made up the idiographic one).
I am only aware of ethical issues and artificial stimuli but that's about it.
I don't think ethical issues will come in use for Memory.
I think having some counterpoints will be great for my test tomorrow (I have a 16 marker on forgetting - interference and retrieval failure)
where can I find some useful counterpoints for my evaluation points? :smile:

mrs harris psychology blog
psychology hub
psych wizard
getrevising
quizlet

Quick Reply

Latest