The Student Room Group

Chemistry Shape of molecule AS

So basically question is " how many electron pairs are on the central atom of an H2S molecule" .. i worked it out its 2 lone pairs and since it is a central atom with two electron pairs therefore it is nonlinear so i did 180 - ( 2.5 + 2.5) = 175 bond angle. I checked my work book it says the answer is 104.5 super confused :confused:
well H2S is a tetrahedral shape which normally has 109.5 degrees but you have to take into account 2 of these are lone pairs which push the bonding pairs closer together . 109.5-(2.5 x 2) = 104.5 degrees
Original post by h4nn4
well H2S is a tetrahedral shape which normally has 109.5 degrees but you have to take into account 2 of these are lone pairs which push the bonding pairs closer together . 109.5-(2.5 x 2) = 104.5 degrees

thank you so much i understand now :smile:
Original post by sailormoonmeow
So basically question is " how many electron pairs are on the central atom of an H2S molecule" .. i worked it out its 2 lone pairs and since it is a central atom with two electron pairs therefore it is nonlinear so i did 180 - ( 2.5 + 2.5) = 175 bond angle. I checked my work book it says the answer is 104.5 super confused :confused:

It is easier to remember how many lone pairs, If any, each shape has
e.g non-linear - 2 lone pairs 2 bonded pairs- 104.5° and it is always the same so if you just memorise the shape, bond angle and number of lone pairs you should be able to work out the shape and bond angle of any molecule

Hope that helps
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest