The Student Room Group

Losing motivation to study maths, physics, computer science; anyone have any tips

I'm normally a hard worker however motivation to study has been slacking off a little bit... Anyone have any tips. I'm getting quite tired of doing the same question over and over again lol(I've been doing quite a lot of study)... I like learning about physics(I watch youtube videos releated to science as well) but when it comes to doing it for the a level, I got tired out when studying very recently. Maths I recently got tired out as well and computer science I find that if it isn't applied to something I like, it gets a bit boring. For me, the A levels has recently become to feel like the same content for me over and over again. I'm trynna push myself but becoming hard The school environment is a bit different from others where I have 1 on 5 classes, and is an academy with personalised help, and I also have time to repeat the exams, even tho I'm 19 on the last year of school(Year 13 2nd year a level). My teachers notice me parcipating in class a lot as well however I find it hard to study by myself. I want to study something releated to pyschology/neuroscience or computer science in uni or do game development. I also have a strong background in computers and sciences, and recently got passionate about pyschology and neuroscience.
What about some enrichment such as completing an EPQ or entering something like maths challenge?
Why did u start it and why are u actually even doing then. U know when ur tired, what makes u still want to do them (except from ur teacher/the possibility lf failing if u don't) ? x
Reply 3
Original post by Oxfordbound
What about some enrichment such as completing an EPQ or entering something like maths challenge?

I have done a bit enrichment however not much if you mean for school subjects I'm taking rn. I'm programming a bit and doing a project rn, and watching youtube videos for physics and maths. For other subjects not in school, I have done neuroscience and psychology with a mentor as well as a camp.
Original post by Roxibox123
Why did u start it and why are u actually even doing then. U know when ur tired, what makes u still want to do them (except from ur teacher/the possibility lf failing if u don't) ? x

Several reasons:

1. The original reason for choosing those subjects was the fact that I wanted to do Computer Science in uni, due to my passion for coding, which now I don't rlly want to commputer sci probably uni unless combined with something else. Maths I needed and physics I understanding the concepts quite well just hard to apply to exams.
2. For pyschology and neuroscience, I need some kind of high school diploma or something similar to get into uni, and in carrers with pyschology and/or neuroscience require some kind of university degree.
3. I need some kind of high school diploma lol for the carrer routes I listed lol
Original post by yomum21
I'm normally a hard worker however motivation to study has been slacking off a little bit... Anyone have any tips. I'm getting quite tired of doing the same question over and over again lol(I've been doing quite a lot of study)... I like learning about physics(I watch youtube videos releated to science as well) but when it comes to doing it for the a level, I got tired out when studying very recently. Maths I recently got tired out as well and computer science I find that if it isn't applied to something I like, it gets a bit boring. For me, the A levels has recently become to feel like the same content for me over and over again. I'm trynna push myself but becoming hard The school environment is a bit different from others where I have 1 on 5 classes, and is an academy with personalised help, and I also have time to repeat the exams, even tho I'm 19 on the last year of school(Year 13 2nd year a level). My teachers notice me parcipating in class a lot as well however I find it hard to study by myself. I want to study something releated to pyschology/neuroscience or computer science in uni or do game development. I also have a strong background in computers and sciences, and recently got passionate about pyschology and neuroscience.

Heya!
I'm sorry you are losing motivation :frown: I had a similar situation with bio and chem when I did my a-levels. What really helped me is distracting myself with other stuff for a bit and then going back to the original subjects. I would do german (for my own fun and to challenge myself) and read fantasy books in my spare time. Engage yourself in other activities outside of your chosen a-levels - perhaps challenge yourself and take a free online class in psychology. FutureLearn has tons of different courses that you could do online (for free just need to search for them)! Perhaps doing some sports could also be helpful? I did gym as well (and still do) to just get my mind off of bio and chem and then come back to them later with a fresh mindset :h:

I hope this helps and good luck!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest