Turn on thread page Beta

What qualities makes a good lawyer? watch

ReputationRep:
    Open ended really. Discuss.

Incidentally, I dont want to be a lawyer, but im interested to know what specific qualities you guys think are important that are not required in most other professions?

I would think it would depend on whether they're advocates or attorneys. The jobs are hugely dissimilar even with recent moves towards more fusion.

ReputationRep:
    Good at shouting people down, finding holes and inconsistancies in peoples arguements/explainations, able to come across as intimidating, good at belitting people and making them feel like ****, generally a good command of sarcastic wit.

A good lawyer has all the qualities of a good *********/thug really. However, they need to have somewhat of a double personality/act. They need also to remain compassionate and considerate towards their client.

ReputationRep:
    intelligence (taken for granted as an attribute of a 'good' lawyer)
    dedication/focus (be there on time, work very hard)
    a clear voice (for court)
    attention to detail, an 'eagle eye' (for court/looking over facts of Law)
    confidence (allthough I suppose most develop this)

ReputationRep:
    Tenacity.

ReputationRep:
    A good manipulator.

ReputationRep:
    the ability to use coherent grammar, and not combine a plural subject with a singular verb, I would say :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CertifiedAngel)
    Having similar qualities to a snake, coldheartedness, dishonesty, back stabbing and many more.

what the difference between a lawyer and a bucket of ****?

The bucket
    0o

ok some do go after the money a lot I aggree.. but not all of em..

ReputationRep:
    need to be a good liar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyn_08)
    need to be a good liar
    really? lies!

ReputationRep:
    persuasive. liar. good english.

ReputationRep:
    Judging from the posts so far I'm guessing this didn't originate in the Legal Careers forum...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommehR)
    Judging from the posts so far I'm guessing this didn't originate in the Legal Careers forum...
    ur so lucky to be at UCL

/thread

:P

ReputationRep:
    The ability to deal with stress
    The ability to deal with difficult people
    The ability to accept that you will not be given much responsibility from the start (as a trainee)
    The ability to not take things at face value

Beth (Trainee Solicitor)

ReputationRep:
    Judgement

ReputationRep:
    Easy - technical brilliance, a pleasant personality and a backbone. That's why most people - including, I would say, a lot of the pedestrian morons on this thread - will not make good lawyers.

Simon M QC - everyone has judgement. Most people have flawed judgement.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.