Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Open ended really. Discuss.

Incidentally, I dont want to be a lawyer, but im interested to know what specific qualities you guys think are important that are not required in most other professions?

I would think it would depend on whether they're advocates or attorneys. The jobs are hugely dissimilar even with recent moves towards more fusion.

ReputationRep:
    Good at shouting people down, finding holes and inconsistancies in peoples arguements/explainations, able to come across as intimidating, good at belitting people and making them feel like ****, generally a good command of sarcastic wit.

A good lawyer has all the qualities of a good *********/thug really. However, they need to have somewhat of a double personality/act. They need also to remain compassionate and considerate towards their client.

ReputationRep:
    intelligence (taken for granted as an attribute of a 'good' lawyer)
    dedication/focus (be there on time, work very hard)
    a clear voice (for court)
    attention to detail, an 'eagle eye' (for court/looking over facts of Law)
    confidence (allthough I suppose most develop this)

ReputationRep:
    Tenacity.

ReputationRep:
    A good manipulator.

ReputationRep:
    the ability to use coherent grammar, and not combine a plural subject with a singular verb, I would say :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CertifiedAngel)
    Having similar qualities to a snake, coldheartedness, dishonesty, back stabbing and many more.

what the difference between a lawyer and a bucket of ****?

The bucket
    0o

ok some do go after the money a lot I aggree.. but not all of em..

ReputationRep:
    need to be a good liar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyn_08)
    need to be a good liar
    really? lies!

ReputationRep:
    persuasive. liar. good english.

ReputationRep:
    Judging from the posts so far I'm guessing this didn't originate in the Legal Careers forum...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommehR)
    Judging from the posts so far I'm guessing this didn't originate in the Legal Careers forum...
    ur so lucky to be at UCL

/thread

:P

ReputationRep:
    The ability to deal with stress
    The ability to deal with difficult people
    The ability to accept that you will not be given much responsibility from the start (as a trainee)
    The ability to not take things at face value

Beth (Trainee Solicitor)

ReputationRep:
    Judgement

ReputationRep:
    Easy - technical brilliance, a pleasant personality and a backbone. That's why most people - including, I would say, a lot of the pedestrian morons on this thread - will not make good lawyers.

Simon M QC - everyone has judgement. Most people have flawed judgement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.