The Student Room Group

extending tenancy agreement in private student accommodation

I am wanting to extend my student accommodation tenancy agreement, the student accommodation company have said rebooking will be a 12 month contract. Can I request a shorter contract? 1. I don't really want to pay for august if I am not there. 2 my degree finishes a month before the end of the agreement so I would like to end the tenancy earlier. all about saving money! any advice?
Yes you can ask, but if that’s the company’s policy then they may just refuse. It’s not in their interest to have it vacant for a month before the start of the next term just to save you money.
Original post by bhpbhpbhp
I am wanting to extend my student accommodation tenancy agreement, the student accommodation company have said rebooking will be a 12 month contract. Can I request a shorter contract? 1. I don't really want to pay for august if I am not there. 2 my degree finishes a month before the end of the agreement so I would like to end the tenancy earlier. all about saving money! any advice?

Hi there,
You can ask but generally, when it comes to private accommodation they will offer contracts for a specific number of weeks. In this case, it sounds like a 51-week contract. Some providers may offer shorter contracts (for example, certain Student Roost properties have 39, 40, 44 week contracts etc.)

You could book a shorter contract with your student accommodation (if they offer one) or another provider. The only other alternative would be asking your student accommodation if they have any students looking for summer lets who may want to takeover your contract. This would have to be done officially through your student accommodation for that period. Please note that you would be liable for the entire year's rent until someone is found - if this is something you pursue!

Hope this helps but I would recommend speaking to your accommodation team first.

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest