Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

departmental societies and how many societies can you join and still manage work time watch

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in computers a lot i build them and do a lot of programming but i am not going to be taking a course in computer science as it is just a hobby. However i wanted to ask is there any computer society in universities or can i join the departmental. A lot university websites i have checked only have departmental one. Also how many societies do people usually join as i was thinking of joining three or four but feel that sound to much.

Thanks in advance for your help

ReputationRep:
    Ususally anyone can join departmental societies, you don't actualy have to be part of that department. As for the societies, depends how often they meet, for how long, and your own personal preference.

ReputationRep:
    I know a few people who are in one or two societies, rarely are people in more than about four including departmental ones too.
    You'd be suprised how little time you end up with at Uni once you factor in living, cooking, cleaning, lectures, work etc.

ReputationRep:
    If there isn't a computer society, you should be able to join the departmental one. However the focus may be on social events rather than computer science, as that's what these people are doing all day anyway.
    As for how many, it's down to personal preference. I'm in my departmental society, and I also write for one of the student publications, and I find this just about right. I don't know anyone who's in more than three. It depends what type of society it is too, if it's something really laid back, e.g rocksoc, you don't need to turn up every week without fail.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, departmental societies generally just organise social events to encourage people to spend time with each other in a non-educational setting, so you won't get much joy by joining the CompSci society.

You can be in as many socieities as you like, but realistically you will only be able to be active in about 2 or three.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.