'Oxford/Cambridge University' T-shirts: cool or pretentious? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rose64
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
What do you think? Would you/do you wear one?
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
erm, i don't think they really exist as such for students? + it's sort of stating the obvious.. :p: you do however, see lots of touristy people wearing them!

with regards to owning a college scarf though - i do indeed.. lost mine & it's warm & nice colours.
likewise have some items of college kit, but that's just stash.
Rose64
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I've seen students wearing them? Or atleast ones that display college names/badges. Still the same principle I suppose.
Kalypso
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Rose64)
I've seen students wearing them? Or atleast ones that display college names/badges. Still the same principle I suppose.
generally, students will wear things with their college on and tourists will wear anything with oxford on it.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Rose64)
ah, college stuff, yes. i think that's fairly different though?
& often it's sport splash tops/rugby shirts etc. that are practical, or JCR hoodies etc.

doesn't seem especially pretentious to me, when most unis in the country do it! :p:
& if i'm running out of clothes & wear a college rugby shirt when i'm around at home, it just has college crest & name on.. not 'NB - i am at oxford, hence considerably better than yooo' or anything, so i doubt most people even know..
RA87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ah i thought it meant just like team shirts and stuff when I said cool, the touristy stuff is not cool but like kit or college stuff is i think.
emily87
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
the touristy ones - def pretentious for a student....and somehow they seem rather tacky.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
College stuff yep. Uni stuff nope, apart from the colours on one side of my scarf (which is generally turned to the Sidney side - unless I'm down in London in mid-March for a certain event, in which case I wave the blue stripes at the world ). I wouldn't ridicule someone for wearing university clothes though; it's their choice. But it's usually stupidly expensive, precisely because it's aimed at the tourists.
mobb_theprequel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I can remember a similar thread to this ages ago, and somebody quipped: "You may as well go around in a T-Shirt saying I'm Smarter Than You".
Squishy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mobb_theprequel)
I can remember a similar thread to this ages ago, and somebody quipped: "You may as well go around in a T-Shirt saying I'm Smarter Than You".
Or at least, I Think I'm Superior To You In Some Way.

To be fair, a lot of companies/clubs/organisations like to display their logos on clothes, but I dislike the Oxbridge merchandise because it just encourages some people to be even more big-headed.

College scarves are fair enough though...they're not too conspicuous.
Clodagh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't see the point of tourists wearing them though!! They don't even go to the uni!!! That's like wearing another school's school uniform..
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've got a Cambridge hoodie I bought down the market (so not expensive) but I only wear it around my room. It makes me work!
naelse
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i want one! just to look at and remember oooooo i'm at cambridge!! :marchmell
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by grey faerie)
generally, students will wear things with their college on and tourists will wear anything with oxford on it.
With the exception of Blues, where it is, of course, acceptable. Have just seen my new path practical partner cycling around wearing a Blues splashtop, must remember to talk to him more! I'm such blue-tack, it's horrendous

I'm quite tempted by a Cambridge University Medical School hoody/rugby shirt, but I doubt I'd wear it outside Cambridge.
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In Banff I saw smn with a Harvard Law School tee. He was a hunk too. Mondo.
Bezza
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
College stuff is fine in my opinion, though I don't have any personally. I'm still undecided on my uni tracksuit top. It's quite nice and I'll wear it at sports things and around here sometimes, but I don't think I'll be wearing it much when I go home with OXFORD across the back in massive letters! Touristy stuff just looks really bad though - things like those t-shirts with the massive logo on.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Aye, I have a college hoodie and an 'Oxford University Tennis' hoodie, they're inexpensive and comfortable!
Clodagh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
£23ish for the college scarf (as it is here) is extortionate!!!
bOdOING2
Report 14 years ago
I actually think its fine for tuorists to wear them, cos say if they went to london they'd proberly buy a london t-****, fleece or sommat. But it does seem quite big headed for a student of Oxbridge to wear them, 1stly its obvious if ur walkin around in Ox/Cam with a bag on ur bak ur gonna be a student, so wots the point of a t-shirt that jus shows wot uni u go to? And 2ndly I would suspect som students wear it jus to show off... its quite childish really...

On the other hand I think College clothes are fine cos not too many ppl know bout it, so its not as big headed.
Bezza
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bOdOING2)
I actually think its fine for tuorists to wear them, cos say if they went to london they'd proberly buy a london t-****, fleece or sommat. But it does seem quite big headed for a student of Oxbridge to wear them, 1stly its obvious if ur walkin around in Ox/Cam with a bag on ur bak ur gonna be a student, so wots the point of a t-shirt that jus shows wot uni u go to? And 2ndly I would suspect som students wear it jus to show off... its quite childish really...

On the other hand I think College clothes are fine cos not too many ppl know bout it, so its not as big headed.
hee hee - liking the typo getting blocked by the swear filter!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads