'Oxford/Cambridge University' T-shirts: cool or pretentious? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Hoofbeat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
As most others seem to feel, I think "Oxford Uni" stuff is for the tourists and quite tacky. Contrastingly, I have no problem what so ever wearing my college stuff either whilst in Oxford or at home (not often). If you have your scarf on under a coat, you can't see the crest anyways, and with hoodies most people don't realise that "Lincoln College" is in Oxford - they probably think I go to a college in Lincoln!

I'm getting my rowing kit tonight and my cox last term has already told me that when I go to the gym to erg during the hols I should wear my lycra as it stops other people in the gym thinking I don't know how to row (FAO Boaties: Do you find you get dodgy looks by others when you erg? When I erg people look at me as if to say what the hell are you doing and when I finish they jump on, starting going at a rate of about 40, pulling with the arms and only getting splits of 2:30/500m and then look at me as if to say, god don't you know you row like this?! lol!)
F. Poste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wear my Somerville College T-shirt in bed I might buy a college hoodie at some point.. I generally agree that Oxford Uni stuff is for tourists, I saw a 14 year old girl wearing one on the Tube and laughed a bit to myself.. oh, so mean..
Bezza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hoofbeat)
I'm getting my rowing kit tonight and my cox last term has already told me that when I go to the gym to erg during the hols I should wear my lycra as it stops other people in the gym thinking I don't know how to row (FAO Boaties: Do you find you get dodgy looks by others when you erg? When I erg people look at me as if to say what the hell are you doing and when I finish they jump on, starting going at a rate of about 40, pulling with the arms and only getting splits of 2:30/500m and then look at me as if to say, god don't you know you row like this?! lol!)
And you think you're going to get less dodgy looks for wearing lycra in a public gym?!
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bezza)
And you think you're going to get less dodgy looks for wearing lycra in a public gym?!
boyf wears lycra to go for jogs when staying at mine.. :p: 'comfy' apparently.

anyway, does anyone actually know any students who wear 'oxford' stuff without it either being sports/trip/subject sponsored merchandise type stash..? which i don't really think counts as pretentious.

i've never seen anyone, or i just assume those people with random 'university of oxford' + logo clothing are tourists! the cameras give it away too..
Hoofbeat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bezza)
Well dodgy in the sense that I won't look very good in it (v.strict diet about to start I feel and 100 sit-ups a day!!!), but the fact that it says Lincoln College Boat Club on it should tell the more "mature" men/women that I do indeed know how to row! I used the erg for a 5K session once and the woman on the cross-trainer next to me kept staring. When I hopped off she asked if I'd finished with it and then she got on and looked at me as if to say "I'm going to show you how this works" and set the distance at 500m. She then proceeded to erg at a rate of about 35-40 but only having splits of about 2:40-3:00 and she was pulling horrifically with her arms and had no leg drive. Needless to say she ended up getting a bad time for the 500m and she looked thoroughly exhausted afterwards (she wasn't unfit either as she'd been running on the treadmill, doing 15mins on the cross-trainer etc). It just amuses me that lots of people learn how to use gym equipment before they use it for the first time but despite the fact that there's a huge poster by the rowing machine with detailed instructions on how to use, many people still don't have a clue what they're doing and are probably doing themselves more harm than good. I get such dodgy looks at my technique on the erg when I'm actually doing more correct than them (I'm certainly not saying my technique is perfect!).

Anyways I'll stop now...I'm far too enthusiastic about rowing and can quite easily hiijack a thread ( :idea: hey could we have a rowing forum?! lol).

Plus I'm supposed to be doing some multiple integrals before going to Filth!
Sock Puppet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I do love the way that people on here think they're taking the moral high ground by insisting they'd never want to show off that they were at Oxford and Cambridge, and that only tourists would wear University stuff rather than College stuff.

The hidden messages:

1. God, I'm brilliant, and I know it, but I want to pretend that I don't want to brag about it.

2. Wearing a college scarf is known to be the mark of a student rather than a tourist in Oxford/Cambridge. Christ knows I don't want to be mistaken for a *tourist* rather than my brilliant self....fortunately it's pretty obvious to everyone that college tops are the uniforms of the real students here, so I'll get one of those instead. This little manoeuvre will allow me to achieve my aims of advertising my brilliance while pretending not to, AND roll my eyes at those poor dumb tourists.

3. I love these secret little shibboleths. Tee hee!

4. If I was at Imperial or somewhere, it'd be FINE to wear a university top. Of course it would. It's fine to advertise your university so long as you're not at Oxford/Cambridge like me. For me it would be SO tacky.
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sock Puppet)
I do love the way that people on here think they're taking the moral high ground by insisting they'd never want to show off that they were at Oxford and Cambridge, and that only tourists would wear University stuff rather than College stuff.

The hidden messages..
or maybe the culture here just means we feel more part of a college community or sports team/subject group etc. than university as a whole..?

so it makes more sense to wear that merchandise?

although the other day a friend of mine was asked by a..tourist *says word with absolute disgust because i am innately superioir to people who might come to visit, obviously * in the centre of town where the university was?
Kalypso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)

although the other friend of mine was asked by a..tourist *says word with absolute disgust because i am innately superioir to people who might come to visit, obviously * yesterday in the centre of town where the university was?
the best thing to do would be to put on a vacant, trance-like expression and whisper in a v mysterious tone 'it's all around you' and then wander off...
Squishy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, some Oxbridge students do like to put on a nonchalant air and pretend that where they study is no big deal, even though they do expect people to gape at and admire them, but I don't think what you're saying is entirely fair. Like it or not, being at Oxford or Cambridge brings more connotations with it (good and bad) than being at any other university in the country, and some people would genuinely prefer not to be judged by the university they go to, which almost always happens when you say you're at Oxbridge.
granddad_bob
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
it's neither cool nor pretentious, in my opinion. in truth, those who make a fuss about it are just as bad as those how wear it.
Sock Puppet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
"it's neither cool nor pretentious, in my opinion. in truth, those who make a fuss about it are just as bad as those how wear it."

I agree.

The key question to ask yourself is, would you be consistent in your criticism of a fellow Oxbridger wearing university apparel as of a friend who went to, say, Nottingham? If not, then my opinion is that you're trying to cover up arrogance with mock humility.
F. Poste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

The hidden messages:

1. God, I'm brilliant, and I know it, but I want to pretend that I don't want to brag about it.

2. Wearing a college scarf is known to be the mark of a student rather than a tourist in Oxford/Cambridge. Christ knows I don't want to be mistaken for a *tourist* rather than my brilliant self....fortunately it's pretty obvious to everyone that college tops are the uniforms of the real students here, so I'll get one of those instead. This little manoeuvre will allow me to achieve my aims of advertising my brilliance while pretending not to, AND roll my eyes at those poor dumb tourists.

3. I love these secret little shibboleths. Tee hee!

4. If I was at Imperial or somewhere, it'd be FINE to wear a university top. Of course it would. It's fine to advertise your university so long as you're not at Oxford/Cambridge like me. For me it would be SO tacky.
It's people thinking crap like this that makes students reluctant to directly display that they go to Oxbridge. Those aren't hidden messages, they're just your cynical opinions.
d750
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by F. Poste)
It's people thinking crap like this that makes students reluctant to directly display that they go to Oxbridge. Those aren't hidden messages, they're just your cynical opinions.
But should anyone what to 'directly display' that they go to Oxbridge? Pride? It's hardly the most endearing reason.
Sock Puppet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I can't be sure, but I suspect you've misunderstood what I'm trying to say. I'm not criticising those who wear the stuff (I haven't offered an opinion either way on that front). I'm criticising what I see as the hypocrisy of many of those who condemn them.
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not criticising those who wear the stuff (I haven't offered an opinion either way on that front). I'm criticising what I see as the hypocrisy of many of those who condemn them.
who's criticised people who wear oxford uni merchandise? :confused:

as far as i remember most of us have just pointed out we know very few students who do (other than blues sports kits) & it's mainly tourists - whereas students are more likely to wear college stuff. i think that's more an observation than condemnation? :p:
Sock Puppet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Says Elles:

"or maybe the culture here just means we feel more part of a college community or sports team/subject group etc. than university as a whole..?

so it makes more sense to wear that merchandise?"

I have no criticism of those who who choose to wear college stuff. What I'm questioning is the reasoning behind the criticisms of those who choose to wear stuff that identifies their university and not their college.

Clearly it is my belief that many people who feel they've avoided the tackiness of wearing clothing that effectively says, "I'm dead brainy, me" nevertheless love the fact that what they DO choose to wear will have a similar effect, but in a way that is more socially acceptable (certainly within the confines of the town). In any such cases, their criticisms of others would be hypocritical; they should really be saying, "If you're going to advertise your brilliance, at least have the decency to do it while pretending not to, like me".

Can I prove this? No. And if you honestly don't recognise any of what I'm suggesting in yourself then, hey, fair enough.
F. Poste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by d750)
But should anyone what to 'directly display' that they go to Oxbridge? Pride? It's hardly the most endearing reason.
I'm very proud I go to Oxford! I love it here- the city, my college, all of it. It wouldn't be very endearing if I wanted to display it because of the ego massage thing; "Ooh look at me everyone, I must be smart", but I think that it's always endearing when someone's genuinely proud of what they belong to. I have a friend in the army who was showing me the card he was given and I was genuinely touched because he was so so pleased that he was part of it.

I can't be sure, but I suspect you've misunderstood what I'm trying to say. I'm not criticising those who wear the stuff (I haven't offered an opinion either way on that front). I'm criticising what I see as the hypocrisy of many of those who condemn them.
I understood! I just resent the implication that because I choose to wear college stuff rather than stuff peddled to tourists, that makes me big headed, falsely modest and dismissive of tourists themselves.
Sock Puppet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
"who's criticised people who wear oxford uni merchandise?"

Apparently 56% (at time of posting) of the people voting on this thread? Although that could have included the college stuff too, I dunno.

Some other choice quotes:

"the touristy ones - def pretentious for a student"

"But it does seem quite big headed for a student of Oxbridge to wear them"

-----

I don't think you can hide behind the line that "we're just saying that it's mainly tourists that wear them". This thread is by its nature talking prescriptively, not descriptively. People are saying that it would be uncool/pretentious for students to wear stuff that named the university rather than a college.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Says Elles:

"or maybe the culture here just means we feel more part of a college community or sports team/subject group etc. than university as a whole..?

so it makes more sense to wear that merchandise?"

I have no criticism of those who who choose to wear college stuff. What I'm questioning is the reasoning behind the criticisms of those who choose to wear stuff that identifies their university and not their college.

Clearly it is my belief that many people who feel they've avoided the tackiness of wearing clothing that effectively says, "I'm dead brainy, me" nevertheless love the fact that what they DO choose to wear will have a similar effect, but in a way that is more socially acceptable (certainly within the confines of the town). In any such cases, their criticisms of others would be hypocritical; they should really be saying, "If you're going to advertise your brilliance, at least have the decency to do it while pretending not to, like me".

Can I prove this? No. And if you honestly don't recognise any of what I'm suggesting in yourself then, hey, fair enough.
Hmm, or possibly there's the contributing factor that if I walk around Huntingdon in a hoodie proudly proclaiming that I'm a member of CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY I'll probably get beaten up and left to die; college scarves are less obvious to people outside of Cambridge
Sock Puppet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
"I just resent the implication that because I choose to wear college stuff rather than stuff peddled to tourists, that makes me big headed, falsely modest and dismissive of tourists themselves."

I'm not saying that the two are inextricably intertwined. I don't pretend to know your mind and can't tell you what your reasons are. But answer me this: what do you think when you see someone wearing a top saying "Nottingham" or "Warwick" or whatever? Do you think, "Christ, how tacky/pretentious...."? If not, why not?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads