Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering why I've never seen a super realistic 3rd person or 1st person game. Not graphically but as in if you get shot in the leg then you'd either be crawling along the floor or be limping, and same for the rest of the body. I can imagine it would be pretty fun for an online multiplayer where you can taunt a player by shooting them in the leg or hands so they cant shoot back. Although it probably wouldn't work quite as well for a single player campaign. Is it just technology that cant do that at the moment or they've just decided to never put it in a game?

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be quite interesting, and certainly introduce an element of reality into shooting spree games. Mind you, so would the police barging in and arresting the protagonist. People play games for escapism, though I cannot comprehend why one would want to immerse oneself in a screen for hours on end (except mario kart, but that's a bit different :P)

ReputationRep:
    Games are designed as a medium of fun, not realism (which many developers easily forget), a game won't sell if it isn't fun, however realistically immersive it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaywa)
    Games are designed as a medium of fun, not realism (which many developers easily forget), a game won't sell if it isn't fun, however realistically immersive it is.
    Ahh well I didn't think about it being more realistically immersive. I just thought it would be a nice change to see a game that is a bit more realistic and thought it would be pretty interesting for example if you were shot and couldn't run or walk, only crawl, and you had to use the surroundings for cover where you could shoot from or be shot at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Innuendo_anonymous)
    Ahh well I didn't think about it being more realistically immersive. I just thought it would be a nice change to see a game that is a bit more realistic and thought it would be pretty interesting for example if you were shot and couldn't run or walk, only crawl, and you had to use the surroundings for cover where you could shoot from or be shot at.
    Pretty Interesting = Risky business for developers. Given the scope of the hypothetical project it'd need a significant budget (certainly something much greater than other games like Gears 2) to effectively render and animate (especially in regards to online play), which would no doubt take an absolute aeon, which no one would be interesting in undertaking. Publisher's would have a ridiculous time trying to advertise this as well...

Unpredictibility does not equate to guaranteed sales (unfortunately predictability does), and why the hell would you not the game to be realistically immersive??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaywa)
    Pretty Interesting = Risky business for developers. Given the scope of the hypothetical project it'd need a significant budget (certainly something much greater than other games like Gears 2) to effectively render and animate (especially in regards to online play), which would no doubt take an absolute aeon, which no one would be interesting in undertaking. Publisher's would have a ridiculous time trying to advertise this as well...

Unpredictibility does not equate to guaranteed sales (unfortunately predictability does), and why the hell would you not the game to be realistically immersive??
    Well I do want it to be realistically immersive I just mean't not so much that they make it boring, as in focusing on graphics and such while forgetting about the storyline and gameplay experience. Tbh I think I just stopped thinking when I said that and didn't explain what I mean't lol.

Ahhh so its more the fact that it would cost too much and take a hell of a long time to do that we haven't really seen this sort of thing then?

ReputationRep:
    I just thought it would be a nice change to see a game that is a bit more realistic and thought it would be pretty interesting for example if you were shot and couldn't run or walk, only crawl, and you had to use the surroundings for cover where you could shoot from or be shot at.
    Find a copy of Operation Flashpoint and you'll get what you're after

ReputationRep:
    I don't think many people would be all that interested in that, though America's Army (which is free to download and play, by the way) is the most realistic game I can think of. Many people play games for escapism, and realism in most cases detracts from that. I wouldn't bother with a game where your character gets out of breath after running a few metres. It's the sort of thing that would be cool to try for a while, but then get bored of as the more you lose, the more you'll continue to lose.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but while I think capping people's knee caps off is super fun, (and you can do it in GTA IV btw) in multiplayer it would be stupid, unless wheelchairs can be unlocked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkos87)
    I'm sorry but while I think capping people's knee caps off is super fun, (and you can do it in GTA IV btw) in multiplayer it would be stupid, unless wheelchairs can be unlocked.
    :rofl:

Wheelchairs at the Airport would be so damn fun!

Stats & Ranks would be proper fudged up if you fell to the floor and started dragging yourself along. You will be blown the **** away so many times, or completely annihilated by a helicpoter. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering why I've never seen a super realistic 3rd person or 1st person game. Not graphically but as in if you get shot in the leg then you'd either be crawling along the floor or be limping, and same for the rest of the body. I can imagine it would be pretty fun for an online multiplayer where you can taunt a player by shooting them in the leg or hands so they cant shoot back. Although it probably wouldn't work quite as well for a single player campaign. Is it just technology that cant do that at the moment or they've just decided to never put it in a game?
    it's partly because it would be way too demanding for the system running it, but also because conflict is bloody miserable, so total realism, as opposed to the selective realism of modern games of this type, is just a step too far in terms of playability. The more truly realistic it is, the easier it would just be do the same in real life: why waste your time playing a miserably authentic game when you could live the same miserably authentic experience in real-time?

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't be fun at all if you think it through, OP. That's why nobody has made a game in that way.

If beat 'em ups were realistic in terms of taking hits. It would be game over after getting attacked two or three times. Crap game!

Go play Metal Gear Solid 2 if you enjoy torturing enemies who also possess a gun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggins)
    Go play Metal Gear Solid 2 if you enjoy torturing enemies who also possess a gun.
    Hehe, it's fun to mess with the guards in MGS2 They dance a little for me, give me their dogtags and I shoot them in the testicles anyway :angel:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.