The Student Room Group

should i try to pursue law

hey im currently in year 12 taking biology, psychology and sociology. its come to that point where we have started to settle into our a levels and our school are trying make us think about what we want to do.
So when it comes to law , i understand the importance of going to good/top uni which i want to do anyway. I want to go to either cambridge/ucl/kcl/durham. My gsce grades are 887777666 (A*A*AAAABBB)(A* in english lang). I understand that these are good but is it enough for these unis especially cambridge. Ive seen some1 with very similar gsce say he got an interview at cambridge ( if i cant get into these unis or similar, i dont really intended to do law then) I intend to get A*A*A predictions hopefully by the end of year 12, and doing really well on the LNAT.
My other question is that im only taking one facilitating subject, will it hold me back or does it not make any difference.
My other questions is what other good career paths are there that i can do. ( good reputation, salary and interesting/fun degrees)
You don't need to go to a top university to pursue a successful career in law. Firms are beginning to do blind interviews because of how dismissive it is to judge an individuals ability on the university they attend. What I'm trying to say is, if you don't end up going to the top universities you want to go to, it's definitely far from the end of the world.

Your stats are good enough to apply to top universities though, your GCSEs are quite on the low side for Oxbridge but you never know. It could be worth applying if you're really that adamant to attend Oxbridge and A*AA is not as good enough as A*A*A* which will definitely be a lot of what an Oxbridge cohort will have -with a lot of 9s/8s at GCSE.

The universities you've chosen are very competitive, it's worth applying to two aspirational universities (one being Oxford/Cambridge and choose between UCL/KCL/Durham) - have you looked into Nottingham, Leeds, Bristol, and Exeter? You'd have a good chance with a good LNAT.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TheLawStudenttt
You don't need to go to a top university to pursue a successful career in law. Firms are beginning to do blind interviews because of how dismissive it is to judge an individuals ability on the university they attend. What I'm trying to say is, if you don't end up going to the top universities you want to go to, it's definitely far from the end of the world.

Your stats are good enough to apply to top universities though, your GCSEs are quite on the low side for Oxbridge but you never know. It could be worth applying if you're really that adamant to attend Oxbridge and A*AA is not as good enough as A*A*A* which will definitely be a lot of what an Oxbridge cohort will have -with a lot of 9s/8s at GCSE.

The universities you've chosen are very competitive, it's worth applying to two aspirational universities (one being Oxford/Cambridge and choose between UCL/KCL/Durham) - have you looked into Nottingham, Leeds, Bristol, and Exeter? You'd have a good chance with a good LNAT.

yea i am also interested in Nottingham and Bristol. I guess all i can do now is try to get A*A*A predictions by the end of the year or higher hopefully and some work experience.
Do you think these GSCE will be enough for ucl/kcl/durham? In the context of having A*A*A predictions and a good LNAT or higher. I feel like since a levels is way more important, and the lnat is also a bit more important than GSCE, perfecting those would give me a good or guaranteed chance of getting in.
Also not having more facilitating subjects is fine right? I feel like they compare subjects, cuz most people will have English lit history etc(probably only Cambridge)
Original post by glablee
yea i am also interested in Nottingham and Bristol. I guess all i can do now is try to get A*A*A predictions by the end of the year or higher hopefully and some work experience.
Do you think these GSCE will be enough for ucl/kcl/durham? In the context of having A*A*A predictions and a good LNAT or higher. I feel like since a levels is way more important, and the lnat is also a bit more important than GSCE, perfecting those would give me a good or guaranteed chance of getting in.
Also not having more facilitating subjects is fine right? I feel like they compare subjects, cuz most people will have English lit history etc(probably only Cambridge)

I think you have a chance with Nottingham.

I don't know your full GCSE grades. It could be ten 9s and one 4 - so I can't really tell you. Although UCL/KCL/Durham are VERY competitive for Law - esp Durham. I don't think it would be wise applying to either of those universities. Do you qualify as a contextual student?

Universities tend to use GCSEs to scope out whether your A-level predictions are inflated. They won't believe that someone with maybe one 9 (I don't know your GCSE grades) - can achieve A*A*A, as students who do achieve those grades don't typically have low GCSEs. Of course, that's not always true - but that will be their thought process.

If you do VERY well on the LNAT (I'm saying get 25+) - if you apply to Bristol, 20% of your application is GCSEs, 20% is LNAT and 40% are your A-level predictions. If you do well on your LNAT - that could bring your application up. But like I said, you'll be up against students with all 9s,8s,7s for GCSEs - they do matter, no matter what people tell you. But even then you won't know what you get - so don't apply to more than two LNAT universities.

Your A-levels are fine, don't worry about it. In my opinion, you should apply to Nottingham, maybe Bristol if you really want to. But Bristol should be your aspirational university. Nottingham could be your second, and then look at other universities you wish to apply to - such as the ones I've recommended.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
I think you have a chance with Nottingham.

I don't know your full GCSE grades. It could be ten 9s and one 4 - so I can't really tell you. Although UCL/KCL/Durham are VERY competitive for Law - esp Durham. I don't think it would be wise applying to either of those universities. Do you qualify as a contextual student?

Universities tend to use GCSEs to scope out whether your A-level predictions are inflated. They won't believe that someone with maybe one 9 (I don't know your GCSE grades) - can achieve A*A*A, as students who do achieve those grades don't typically have low GCSEs. Of course, that's not always true - but that will be their thought process.

If you do VERY well on the LNAT (I'm saying get 25+) - if you apply to Bristol, 20% of your application is GCSEs, 20% is LNAT and 40% are your A-level predictions. If you do well on your LNAT - that could bring your application up. But like I said, you'll be up against students with all 9s,8s,7s for GCSEs - they do matter, no matter what people tell you. But even then you won't know what you get - so don't apply to more than two LNAT universities.

Your A-levels are fine, don't worry about it. In my opinion, you should apply to Nottingham, maybe Bristol if you really want to. But Bristol should be your aspirational university. Nottingham could be your second, and then look at other universities you wish to apply to - such as the ones I've recommended.

i already stated by gsce above, its 887777666. Im taking subjects i got A* and A in ,so it wouldn't seem like they inflated grades. My 6s were in pretty irrelevant subjects when it comes to law and its only three. Ive seen someone on TSR get an interview for law at Cambridge, with 9877776( basically the same as me but just less subjects) - however he got all A* predictions.
So lets say i get A*A*A + predictions and a 25+ LNAT and great PS( easier said than done, but gonna work hard) I really dont think i wouldnt get into at least one of UCL/KCL/durham right? I understand its competitive but my GSCE arent even that low.
I know its really early, but i just wanna know all the options i have :smile:
Original post by glablee
i already stated by gsce above, its 887777666. Im taking subjects i got A* and A in ,so it wouldn't seem like they inflated grades. My 6s were in pretty irrelevant subjects when it comes to law and its only three. Ive seen someone on TSR get an interview for law at Cambridge, with 9877776( basically the same as me but just less subjects) - however he got all A* predictions.
So lets say i get A*A*A + predictions and a 25+ LNAT and great PS( easier said than done, but gonna work hard) I really dont think i wouldnt get into at least one of UCL/KCL/durham right? I understand its competitive but my GSCE arent even that low.
I know its really early, but i just wanna know all the options i have :smile:

Oh! I'm so sorry! I thought I was responding to a different user! I'm really tired. Yes,your GCSEs are good enough for top law schools. UCL/KCL/Durham are very competitive, so if you want to be safe - you should pick between the three. Or only two MAX.
Reply 6
Oh! I'm so sorry! I thought I was responding to a different user! I'm really tired. Yes,your GCSEs are good enough for top law schools. UCL/KCL/Durham are very competitive, so if you want to be safe - you should pick between the three. Or only two MAX.

ahahha no worries, im thinking of picking cambridge ( depending on predictions + LNAT) two of ucl/durham/kcl and two safe choices, maybe one of Nottingham/ bristol.
Anyways i have ALOT of time to still think about all this, but thank you:smile:
Original post by glablee
ahahha no worries, im thinking of picking cambridge ( depending on predictions + LNAT) two of ucl/durham/kcl and two safe choices, maybe one of Nottingham/ bristol.
Anyways i have ALOT of time to still think about all this, but thank you:smile:

Np! I truly wish the best for you! Good luck :smile:
Reply 8

does it work like that if you want to become a barrister or does the uni you go to matter
Original post by chlrmzz
does it work like that if you want to become a barrister or does the uni you go to matter

No it doesn't matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending