Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I laugh at women, not with them. Hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, not really, although neither are most men to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Karen Taylor makes me lol.
    Ahaha, me too :lovedup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    ahh, i got the green album, im listening to island in the sun now dont let go is mint, not up to glorious day yet though :awesome:
    glad you're liking it.

it's a godly album :adore:

ReputationRep:
    I think men are slightly free-er to be lewder which always gets a good laugh.

Gender inequalities strike again! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by el scorcho)
    glad you're liking it.

it's a godly album :adore:
    thank you ;D :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Humour is much more personal - I think sex, and sexuality at that, certainly aren't the key factors than contribute towards how funny someone is. 'Taste' and opinion also come into it. I don't find many famous comedians, especially stand-ups, witty or remotely amusing. That's a really interesting article though, some strong and valid points

ReputationRep:
    Jo Brand and Sandi Toksvig are both hilariously witty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanda)
    But I'm still funny. :ninja:
    Oh you're definitely fanny.

I think most women lack the mental capacity to be funny. :ninja: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    ALSO if we are going to be making generalisations, it's fair to say that men make 'better' stand-ups, but women are more likely to be funny in the situational sense, so on a personal level they are likely to be more amusing, rather than in a boastful and crude sort of way

ReputationRep:
    Women don't need humour to get laid, therefore it was lost in the evolutionary process for us. We compensate in other ways.

ReputationRep:
    All of my favourite comedians are male. In fact, the only female comedian I really find funny is Jo Brand.

ReputationRep:
    Women can be very good at sarcasm and you know, humour you don't really "get" except in a social setting if you know everyone really well, etc.

But yeah comediennes are mostly not funny. But that might just be the humour we're used to - a lot of women I notice tend to base their entire humour around the fact they're female, with jokes relating to their experience as a woman. I suppose a lot of blokes do the inverse, but then they're generally not funny either.

Seriously are genuinely funny blokes really any more common than funny women? Sure there are more male comedians, but most men aren't funny anyway, they just think they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    they just dont often make me laugh.. their delivery is simply never good
    or maybe you are a ******

ReputationRep:
    Women can be funny, but it's not the funniness that men/ women are interested in. They both are assessing looks, etc. That's why only conventionally unnattractive women are able to be found as funny, like Jo Brand.

ReputationRep:
    All the girls I know are funnier than the guys I know. Guys have a type of humour that can fail badly. And then you have to pretend to laugh to be nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    Women can be funny, but it's not the funniness that men/ women are interested in. They both are assessing looks, etc. That's why only conventionally unnattractive women are able to be found as funny, like Jo Brand.
    Most of the best male comedians are pretty ugly too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IeuanF)
    Most of the best male comedians are pretty ugly too.
    Like...?

And looks don't matter as much if you're male. Fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahleslie1)
    I think men are slightly free-er to be lewder which always gets a good laugh.

Gender inequalities strike again! :P
    Good point. If a women made a very lewd joke, you'd be more inclined to think "wtf?".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Concept)
    Good point. If a women made a very lewd joke, you'd be more inclined to think "wtf?".
    WHAAAAT?! In my college most of the lewd jokes come from the girls!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.