Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I agree on stand-up, Jo Brand is the only one I really find funny.

Is this not including comedy actresses though? There's plenty of them...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i'd say funny women in sitcoms are much on par with male co- stars. And female comedy writers etc. (Friends + Will & Grace girls, Alison Hanigan)

I think there's just a problem with a woman controlling a whole room of people, which is what stand- up is about.

ReputationRep:
    two words: BRIDGET JONES.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raiiindroplets)
    two words: BRIDGET JONES.
    Mmm Helen Fielding. I hadn't thought about that...
    Not all humour is expressed verbally.

But then again - I don't see how males see Bridget Jones as funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaseside)
    Yeah i'd say funny women in sitcoms are much on par with male co- stars. And female comedy writers etc. (Friends + Will & Grace girls, Alison Hanigan)

I think there's just a problem with a woman controlling a whole room of people, which is what stand- up is about.

that is the most sexist thing i have heard in a long long time. well probably not if i'd properly read the last five pages on the topic.

i think it's just time for the genders to just accept that for a large part, men & women find different things funny. and there's nothing wrong with that, so both male & female comics shouldn't have to alter their style to suit a certain gender as there is such a breadth of styles out there. i realise theres cross overs but if somebodies humour doesn't appeal to the opposite gender this is probably the reason why

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.