Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, just wondering if anyone here is doing law (LLB) at Napier uni. If so, whats it like (the actual course and uni) because I am applying there for Law in '09. I got AACC in highers and emailed them with my grades and they basically said they'd give me an unconditional so, looks like i'll be going there. cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Can't comment on Law as I'm not doing that but I'm at Napier and really enjoying it,people and tutors are really friendly etc,well I've found anyway

Good luck

AJxx

ReputationRep:
    I got a conditional for that... got the same grades as you, really don't want to go there though.
    Apparently, it's not that good for Law.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there, I was studying LL.B Law at Napier, so I hope that I can help.

Ummm.... I’m not all that sure where to begin really, perhaps it would be best if I told you my personal experience of my time at Napier.

I started in the summer of 2007 and just dropped out back in December. I didn’t enjoy my time at Napier all that much but I put that down to long commutes (I lived at home) and disliking the ridged structure of Napier’s LL.B (you can’t take outside subjects).

The LL.B is taught exclusively at the Craiglockart campus- the most modern of Napier’s buildings. It’s about a twenty minuet bus journey form the city center and is very leafy and green. The view over Edinburgh (as it’s up a huge hill) are spectacular. On the inside it is very open plan- which in turn can lead to some problems. If you are lucky enough to get a seat in the library or computing lab (which are always mobbed) then you won’t be able to concentrate without being plugged into your iPod- as the Starbucks coffee machine screeches constantly.

However, Napier Law department has an open door policy, something you’ll be hard pressed to find at any other University. By you’re second term you’ll be on first name terms with all the lecturers, and if you have a problem or just fancy a chat, you can just trot along to their office or give them a wee email. The staff really can’t do enough for you. It’s often been said that you’re taken care of a lot better at Napier than you will be at any other University- especially by the other one just down the road.

Academically I did really well in my first year. But don’t be fooled by Napier’s lower entry qualifications (in comparison to other LL.B entry requirements). You’ll have to work you’re butt of if you want to do well. Don’t be surprised to be spending 9-10 hours six days a week in the library come coursework/exam time. Law is very different in that you’re first and second year count just as much as third and fourth (that is if you want to go on to do the diploma in legal practice).

I hope I haven’t scared you off too much. All of my friends on the course, although it’s tough, really do love it. I’m sure that if you enjoy Law as a subject then you’ll love it too.

If you have any other questions don’t hesitate to ask.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of transfering onto this course from one at Herio*****, as I am extremley disliking all the maths involved in my current ecnomics degree.
    The only thing I worry about is the reputation of the university? As a legal career is highly competitive, but it's something I want to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loulabell)
    I'm thinking of transfering onto this course from one at Herio*****, as I am extremley disliking all the maths involved in my current ecnomics degree.
    The only thing I worry about is the reputation of the university? As a legal career is highly competitive, but it's something I want to do!
    The LLB at Napier compared to other LLB Universities (Glasgow, Aberdeen etc) is very new, which impacts on reputation.

The Universities in Scotland to offer the LLB are - Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow Strathclyde, Glasgow Caledonian, Stirling, Robert Gordon and Napier. The first five are generally rated better in terms of reputation, but I'm not sure as to the ratings of the newer Universities.

Transfering onto this course might be impossible for Year two or above, you would have to start in Year one I think.

If you are worried about repuation (or grades), have you thought about finishing your current degree and applying for the accelerated two year LLB after you graduate?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 21, 2009

University open days

1. Edinburgh Napier University
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.