Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I hope you wont mind that this question isnt really about uni but I figured this would be the best place to post in still, no?

Question:
    Is there any A-level colleges in Edinburgh?
    Does anyone know if there is a fee for A-level in Scotland? I'd be 20 when enrolling (sept), I've already done the first year, in England it is free til you're 19. I'm an EU student.

And how is Edinburgh? Studentlife, prices (rents, food etc - compared to north England?), nightlife, culture, safety etc etc?

Very grateful for answers, especially since I did some googling and didn't really found any answers I was looking for (i'm a lazy googler but still.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenagelovesong)
    I hope you wont mind that this question isnt really about uni but I figured this would be the best place to post in still, no?

Question:
    Is there any A-level colleges in Edinburgh?
    Does anyone know if there is a fee for A-level in Scotland? I'd be 20 when enrolling (sept), I've already done the first year, in England it is free til you're 19. I'm an EU student.

And how is Edinburgh? Studentlife, prices (rents, food etc - compared to north England?), nightlife, culture, safety etc etc?

Very grateful for answers, especially since I did some googling and didn't really found any answers I was looking for (i'm a lazy googler but still.)
    Sorry I'm not that sure, but what I do know is that in Scotland they don't do A-levels, they do a Scottish equivalent called Highers and/or Advanced Highers.

ReputationRep:
    Stevenson College is the only one that I can think of, but as Rmg12 said, Scotland are weird and do Highers/Advanced Highers instead of AS/ALevels. I'm not sure on costings though.
    As for Edinburgh; Studentlife is pretty good. Almost every night of the week is a student night, cheap drinks etc.
    Rent varies on what part of Edinburgh you stay, I'm paying 240/month, but I have a friend who is paying nearer 350/month. Not sure how this compares with nothern england, as I don't pay rent when I'm here!
    There is alot more culture in Scotland, in general, most people are proud of there Scottish roots.
    Safety, well it's pretty safe, I've never felt threatened.
    If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, we do highers rather than A levels. Not sure how that makes us weird though

Rent isn't too bad depending on where you are staying. I'm paying £325 but everything is included in that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loulabell)
    Stevenson College is the only one that I can think of, but as Rmg12 said, Scotland are weird and do Highers/Advanced Highers instead of AS/ALevels. I'm not sure on costings though.
    As for Edinburgh; Studentlife is pretty good. Almost every night of the week is a student night, cheap drinks etc.
    Rent varies on what part of Edinburgh you stay, I'm paying 240/month, but I have a friend who is paying nearer 350/month. Not sure how this compares with nothern england, as I don't pay rent when I'm here!
    There is alot more culture in Scotland, in general, most people are proud of there Scottish roots.
    Safety, well it's pretty safe, I've never felt threatened.
    If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me.
    Every night is, even friday and saturday. You just have to know where to go.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, SQA qualifications are the most common, but several schools - mostly independent ones - offer A-levels. As for actual Further Education Colleges offering them, I'm not sure - quite probably not.

ReputationRep:
    Weeee, a group of English students are visiting Edinburghs unis - Napier and Uni of Edinburgh - next week. We're also gonna attend a few lectures ... :dancing2: How cool is that? I can't wait!!! Both seem really nice and big on pics and I can't imagine what they must look like in real! (I have a weird feeling the size of these unis are too much for my orientation skills ... so if I stop you on your way to lectures and ask you for some directions, please do help. :console:)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.