The Student Room Group

Pulling all nighters - does it actually work???

I’ve got an exam tomorrow morning. I’ve created all my revision tools in the time given but I haven’t been able to use them. If i was a short term way of passing this exam, is an all nighter worth it???
Original post by Laison2018
I’ve got an exam tomorrow morning. I’ve created all my revision tools in the time given but I haven’t been able to use them. If i was a short term way of passing this exam, is an all nighter worth it???

Short-term memories are made during REM sleep whilst long-term memories are made during deep sleep.

If you pull an all-nighter then you get neither. It doesn’t matter if your exam is in the afternoon. You need to stick to your usual bed time as a disruption to the sleep cycle messes up the % time spent in REM and deep sleep
Reply 2
Unlikely to work well if you become too tired to study and then tiredness affects your performance in the exam as well. I would stop at midnight. Mind you, desperate situations call for desperate measures
Please please PLEASE do not resort to revising late during the night, especially if you're a younger student.

If you do it once, it WILL mess up your sleep schedule and you'll start to pull more all-nighters which is the worst thing a student can do, especially around exam season!!

This is your sign to manage your time better. Sleep is as important as revising, and if you have to pick between the two, it's better you sleep.

Some people can and will pull all-nighters, they will revise but it isn't something everyone can do. You do not want to go to the exam sleepless as well as clueless.

You have at least 2 hours left before you should sleep (if you live in the UK.) Make use of this time wisely.

I know you're asking if it will help you pass temporary, yes, it might but it may get difficult to get that info in your long-term memory when you're revising for exams later in the year.

Again, manage your time better. If you don't start using your time wisely early in the academic year, you'll actually fall into the bad habit of leaving things last minute.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply