Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think I could answer about three of those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    But what's 6 allocated to? What's the first dead one that isn't about to be revived?

And get those nasty AAC and NAS numbers away, they may work at Shawbury but they don't really belong to us.

For bonus points, you have at least one missing that I've spotted, plus you need to stick (R) behind 3 of them.

For double-triple bonus points, change the ones that use roman numerals instead of regular numbers to reflect how the squadron's number appears on its crest.
    Ah yes, 6 is going Typhoon....

So that must make the first dead one 10 which was VC10.

Mmmrmm 15(R); 29(R) and 17(R), 42(R). Sorry for poor attention to detail on my behalf!

And for the Roman numerals:
    II(AC), IV, V(AC), VIII, IX, XI, XIII, XIX, XXII, XXIV, XV, XXVIII(AC), XXXII(TR)(!!), XLI, LXX, CCVII,

Now who can tell which Sqns they are in normal numbers......

And I forgot 43(F) and 39 Sqn....
    3 needs an (F)

(I actually found a place better than Wiki... the RAF website actually groups them all nicely but I'm not going to post the URL )

Is no one going to give this game a go without Wiki? No shame in writing down what you already know....

Group them into:

Training
    OCUs
    Rotary (Inc. all the Sea King flts)
    Fast Jet
    Multi Engine

and then as the types under each as well with the Sqn numbers. If you know it, add the location as well.

I have listed ALL the sqns except Sea King flts - someone else can find where they all are and list them: hint they're all 22 or 202.... with the exception of one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Venom)
    I have listed ALL the sqns except Sea King flts - someone else can find where they all are and list them: hint they're all 22 or 202.... with the exception of one.
    Is it E flight up at Leconfield? The [email protected] ruined a few of my lie ins when I was up there on a course once upon a time :rant:

ReputationRep:
    Search and Rescue

Search and Rescue Force HQ, RAF Valley, Anglesey
    HQ 22 Squadron, Royal Marines Base Chivenor, Devon
    'A' Flight - Sea King HAR3A, Royal Marines Base Chivenor, Devon
    'B' Flight - Sea King HAR3A, Wattisham Airfield, Suffolk
    'C' Flight - Sea King HAR3, RAF Valley, Anglesey
    HQ 202 Squadron, RAF Boulmer, Northumberland
    'A' Flight - Sea King HAR3, HAR3A, RAF Boulmer
    'D' Flight - Sea King HAR3, RAF Lossiemouth, Moray
    'E' Flight- Sea King HAR3, Defence School of Transport Leconfield, Yorkshire
    203 (Reserve) Squadron - Sea King HAR3 RAF Valley Anglesey

ReputationRep:

Technically two... 1564flt counts as a separate unit operating the Sea King, surely?

ReputationRep:
    How about 1312 and 1435 flt?
    Also, why hasn't Valley been mentioned in the lists of stations?
    For the truly bored/keen, name the EAWs...

WRT squadron nicknames and mascots, which ones? The Crusaders up by me have Eric (Sqn Ldr Eric) a rather lovely boa constrictor as a mascot but I'm not sure if he's the "official" one, and 617 have an "official" nickname, and the one everyone uses (without even going into the less than complimentary ones that I'm sure are used but of course I would never dream of finding out...) As an example "Sifty-Fix" and the "Spoiled Sqn" aren't the proper nicknames but are rather amusing, if misleading.

ReputationRep:
    Eric is real...

The Fighting Cocks - guess their mascot
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Think it's 6 isn't it? Since Colt closed anyway..... I'm really tragic and pretty much know what goes with every Sqn

1(F)
    5(AC)
    16(R)
    18(B)
    20(R)
    45(R)
    54(R)
    55(R)
    56(R)
    57(R)
    60(R)
    72(R)
    76(R)
    85(R)
    660 Sqn
    705 NAS

I think I have everything........!
    Massive fail! :mad:

OK, I'll grant you a late recovery

Actually, no I won't, you're still missing one I know of/served on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Massive fail! :mad:

OK, I'll grant you a late recovery

Actually, no I won't, you're still missing one I know of/served on!
    Hasn't it been disbanded??!

And yes 47. I should have known that myself. Didn't do a check after typing....

:p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by mountainmetman)
    How about 1312 and 1435 flt?
    Also, why hasn't Valley been mentioned in the lists of stations?
    For the truly bored/keen, name the EAWs...

"Sifty-Fix" and the "Spoiled Sqn" aren't the proper nicknames but are rather amusing, if misleading.
    I can tell you each of the EAWs, what their numbers are, where they are based and when they are on readiness. I need to get out more.

You mean Shifty Fix or The Liney's Penal Sqn as they were occasionally known at Coningsby. Very badly behaved techies - and the aircrew were not much better

ReputationRep:
    Yes Shifty Fix failed whilst I was there.... waved goodbye to my freebie

56 are also 'The Firebirds'

ReputationRep:
    Always liked 'Tremblers' as a nickname.

No idea why, mind...

And, am I plucking this out of thin air, or are 12 known as 'Flying Foxes'?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Look at their crest.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's their crest and tail decoration, but I couldn't remember whether it was an 'actual' thing too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Always liked 'Tremblers' as a nickname.
    No idea why, mind...
    And, am I plucking this out of thin air, or are 12 known as 'Flying Foxes'?
    Almost what we call them.... Actually we normally just say "hello Foxes!" when starting the briefs, and cheer when the countdown gets to 12. Haven't seen any pet (living) foxes around there yet though...
    I like Eric over with the Crusaders, although he's been a bit short tempered of late.
    Six Foot are a good laugh, and yeah, Tremblers and the Cocks were good to work with when I was down there.
    One of the rather odd nicknames we used wayyyy down south was "twenty five to three." I'm sure you can guess which flight that was for. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    1535..... not hard :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by mountainmetman)
    One of the rather odd nicknames we used wayyyy down south was "twenty five to three." I'm sure you can guess which flight that was for. :rolleyes:
    1535..... not hard :p:
    Oh dear, LV...

You still need (R)s next to 19, 207 and 208, and 203 which I think you missed from your original list. You've also missed 42; bonus marks again for anyone who can put the correct thing in brackets after that one. Next door to that you've missed 41 Sqn and it's pretty unique job.

I'm pretty certain 57(R)'s disbanded now, as is XXV(F), and I've never heard of 85(R)!

I'm just going through the list.. you've mentioned 10 but missed out 101... is that it?

ReputationRep:
    You may be able to name all these squadrons and bases but can you tell me what:

AP 101-3101-1EB is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Oh dear, LV...
    Look, I'm packing, half asleep and meh... 1435 my bad; I'm not awake yet....

You still need (R)s next to 19, 207 and 208, and 203 which I think you missed from your original list.
    Fair one....

You've also missed 42; bonus marks again for anyone who can put the correct thing in brackets after that one. Next door to that you've missed 41 Sqn and it's pretty unique job.
    (R)

I'm pretty certain 57(R)'s disbanded now, as is XXV(F), and I've never heard of 85(R)!
    Don't trust wiki - that first list is possibly a BIT dodgy.

I'm just going through the list.. you've mentioned 10 but missed out 101... is that it?
    101 is on the first list IIRC and TPD deserves a shooting for not finding more and you deserve a shooting for being a geek :rolleyes:

I'm not even going to be a Crab........! Putting in a better show than all the wannabes!

ReputationRep:
    2,3 and 4 all deserve their relevent suffixes.

[(AC), (F) and (AC) respectively, though it should be II and IV, also]

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.